Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oh dear god, Libertas at it again

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thetruthknower

theres a difference between a democracy and a republic you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

prinz wrote: »
    I think Jim Corr is back :rolleyes:

nope thats the truthknower jim corr will not be back that was a hit and run. which definatly doesn't help the no camp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

What year do you think we became a republic? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thetruthknower

What section of the Lisbon Treaty gives dictatorial like powers to Brian Cowen and friends?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

What year do you think we became a republic? :confused:

• Advertisement

:)

That's it? That's your in depth knowledge of the Lisbon Treaty? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

There is a difference, but they are not mutually exclusive, it's possibly to be both.

A Republic is any government that is not a form of monarchy, and the people have at least a nominal say.

A Democracy is a government chosen by or comprising of the people.

Ireland is a Republic and a Democracy.
    The USA is a Republic and a Democracy.
    Iran is a Republic, but not a Democracy.
    China is a Republic, but not a Democracy.
    The UK is a Democracy but not a Republic.
    Australia is a Democracy but not a Republic.

Ireland became a democratic nation-state after the war of independence, but we did not become a republic until the Republic of Ireland act in 1949, when we removed the British monarch as out titular head of state.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    91% of economists, 90% of businesses, the majority of trade unions, retail Ireland, farmers groups, fishermans groups, multiple chambers of commerce, the Hotels federation, the small firms association (so much for big business), the Irish Exporters Association, Irish Franchise Association etc etc etc disagree with you and I think they know better.

But regardless, this treaty is not about economic recovery and that's not why it's needed. The EU needs this treaty, otherwise why would they spend all this time and effort writing it?

of course these big businesses will want a ratification on lisbon but i can assure you the working class of these businesses will not have that idea. ibec and siptu want it but the grassroots will be voting no so don't confuse yourself with this logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

zenno wrote: »
    of course these big businesses will want a ratification on lisbon but i can assure you the working class of these businesses will not have that idea. ibec and siptu want it but the grassroots will be voting no so don't confuse yourself with this logic.

I find it mind boggling that so many people on the no side think they understand so well why big businesses (and the small firms association which you seem to have ignored) are for the treaty while simultaneously saying that a yes vote will have no effect on the economy. Do you not see any connection between all these businesses making more money and economic recovery :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What is is with a few No posters knowing what will happen on Friday?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I find it mind boggling that so many people on the no side think they understand so well why big businesses (and the small firms association which you seem to have ignored) are for the treaty while simultaneously saying that a yes vote will have no effect on the economy. Do you not see any connection between all these businesses making more money and economic recovery :confused:

I find this mind boggling, that you believe a yes vote will make an economic recovery possible, where in gods name in the treaty does it say anything about fulfilling economic recovery to ireland or the eu. how many times do i have to say that lisbon will not make economic recovery any faster especially to this country. you seem to be only thinking of big business but you do not for one second consider working class people in this. your comment is false.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I find this mind boggling, that you believe a yes vote will make an economic recovery possible, where in gods name in the treaty does it say anything about fulfilling economic recovery to ireland or the eu. how many times do i have to say that lisbon will not make economic recovery any faster especially to this country.

zenno on the internet who has other reasons for wanting a no vote tells me that voting yes will have no effect on the economy but these people tell me it will:
    American Chamber of Commerce
    Construction Industry Federation (CIF)
    Consumer Electronic Distributors Association (CEDA)
    Cork Chamber of Commerce
    Cork City Business Association
    Dublin Chamber of Commerce
    Dublin City Business Association
    Engineers Ireland
    Fashion & Footwear Federation
    Financial Services Ireland
    Galway City Business Association
    IBEC
    ICMSA
    ICT Ireland
    ICTU
    Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland
    Institute of Professional Auctioneers and Valuers
    Irish Banking Federation
    Irish Congress of Trade Unions
    Irish Consultative Committee of Accountancy Bodies
    Irish Dairy Industry Association (IDIA)
    Irish Exporters Association (IEA)
    Irish Farmers Association
    Irish Fish Producers’ Organisation
    Irish Franchise Association
    Irish Hardware & Building Materials Association
    Irish Hotels Federation (IHF)
    Irish Medical Devices Association (IMDA)
    Irish Sheep and Cattle Farmers Association
    Irish Software Association (ISA)
    Irish Taxation Institute
    Irish Tourist Industry Confederation (ITIC)
    Irish Travel Agents Association (ITAA)
    Killybegs Fishermen’s Organisation
    Limerick Chamber of Commerce
    Limerick City Business Association
    Network Dublin
    North Dublin Chamber of Commerce
    Pharmachemical Ireland
    Retail Ireland
    SIPTU
    Small Firms Association (SFA)
    Society of Irish Motor Industry (SIMI)
    South Dublin Chamber
    Telecoms and Internet Federation (TIF)
    Waterford Chamber of Commerce
    Honestly, who would you believe?
    you seem to be only thinking of big business but you do not for one second consider working class people in this. your comment is false.
    I'm thinking of both. Working class people work for big businesses. What is good for them is not necessarily bad for everyone else. What makes you think it's bad for workers? The trade unions don't seem to think so

you seem to be only thinking of big business but you do not for one second consider working class people in this.

Would you say the same to Proinsias de Rossa?

Would you say the same to Proinsias de Rossa?

pointless comment.

pointless comment.

How so? As he is an ardent supported of the Lison Treaty, I am sure that a man who has put his life into serving "working class people" would have considered them, don't you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Dont WASTE YOUR VOTE!
    If your unsure of what to vote look at http://www.coircampaign.org/index.ph...actsandfigures

If your unsure of what to vote - VOTE NO!

Dont vote YES if you are unsure of why you are doing so

this is the 18th thread you copied and pasted the exact same post

are there any moderators around at all? report send

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    this is the 18th thread you copied and pasted the exact same post

are there any moderators around at all? report send

:eek:

Look at the link.

That is what they do, copy and paste.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement