Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

arshavin

• 25-09-2009 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭

just how good do ppl think he is ?? i think he is top top quality , coming from a man utd supporter ,think we need someone like him ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Think he needs to kick his wife to the kerb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I think if he's given space (ala 4-4 at Anfield last season) then he is one of the best in the world. However I think if a top quality team refuses to go past the halfway line (ala 0-0 at Old Trafford last season) then he can be nullified.

All in all, he is undoubtedly world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

"top top" :eek: puke stuff.

He's a very good player, but true fact, he didn't really play well v Liverpool when he bagged 4 goals. Was actually non-existant up to his first, didn't do much after that either bar his strikes on goal. Can't really argue with 4 goals, but it' looks like I just did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

podge018 wrote: »

He's a very good player, but true fact, he didn't really play well v Liverpool when he bagged 4 goals. Was actually non-existant up to his first, didn't do much after that either bar his strikes on goal. Can't really argue with 4 goals, but it' looks like I just did.
    i think he is up there with messi imo , obviously messi only 22 and can get alot better . arshavin is in his peak years now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

podge018 wrote: »

Wha? He scored four goals at Anfield. What more do you want him to do?!

I think he's one of the best players in the world. A real joy to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

World class player, up there with Messi, Ronaldo and Ribery. Was pissed off United didnt go for him especially when they all knew Ronaldo was going, and to think he only cost Arsenal 15m

yes sumone agrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ScholesyIsGod

I think he's quality sometimes he can tend to dip in and out of games but once he gets on the ball he always looks dangerous and he has the ability to be a match winner with the way he can just smash the ball in from almost aywhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

World class player, up there with Messi, Ronaldo and Ribery. Was pissed off United didnt go for him especially when they all knew Ronaldo was going, and to think he only cost Arsenal 15m

in retrospect its hard to believe that no other club tried to get in and hijack that deal considering the fee was so low (comparatively speaking, looking at those he's being named alongside quality-wise) and took so long to be negotiated.

in retrospect its hard to believe that no other club tried to get in and hijack that deal considering the fee was so low (comparatively speaking, looking at those he's being named alongside quality-wise) and took so long to be negotiated.

There's a rumour that Liverpool tried to sign him and Skrtel at the same time. We couldn't afford both so we went with Skrtel. :pac: From what I remember we were lacking in defensive resources back then though and Skrtel has turned out to be a rock fortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    There's a rumour that Liverpool tried to sign him and Skrtel at the same time. We couldn't afford both so we went with Skrtel. :pac: From what I remember we were lacking in defensive resources back then though and Skrtel has turned out to be a rock fortunately.

He would have been great for Liverpool playing anywhere in the 3 of the 4-2-3-1 formation they usually employ imo, woulda meant the end of Benny though.

He would have been great for Liverpool playing anywhere in the 3 of the 4-2-3-1 formation they usually employ imo, woulda meant the end of Benny though.

Him or Babel. What can you do, how was Rafa to know Arshavin would go on to have the Euro 08 that he had. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

As an Arsenal fan, I remember thinking 'but do we really need another attacking midfielder?'. I wanted some signings to back up our defence.

But now I hate to imagine Arsenal without him.

cashback wrote: »

But now I hate to imagine Arsenal without him.

Agreed. I wouldn't want to insult Arsenal by saying it's a jekyll and hyde situation, but just look at how Arsenal did with him in the team against Liverpool last season in comparison to how they played without him against Man U in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

He is quality but he needs to play alongside experience imo. Alongside ramsey and wilshire he is non-existent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wha? He scored four goals at Anfield. What more do you want him to do?!

In fairness, he had a bit of a point. Arshavin pretty much had 4 kicks of the ball in the match. They all just went in . On another day none of them do and for pretty much playing the exact same game he's had a 'mare. He was pretty invisible for most of the game. Not a great example of showing what a great player he is at what he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Was devestated when arsenal picked him up for €15m levy wouldn't pay the extra few quid that would of seen him come to the lane but they where looking for an extra €10m on top of what arsenal paid crazy and just bad luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Stekelly wrote: »
    In fairness, he had a bit of a point. Arshavin pretty much had 4 kicks of the ball in the match. They all just went in . On another day none of them do and for pretty much playing the exact same game he's had a 'mare. He was pretty invisible for most of the game. Not a great example of showing what a great player he is at what he does.

The view that if you subtract his great bits then he played poorly can surely be applied to every player. I don't see how the the goal return can be downplayed considering Liverpool I think only conceded 13 league goals at home all season. The fact Arshavin alone got FOUR of them is just stunning. Two of the goals were top drawer too, especially the last one which required a really cool head.

It's pretty optimistic I think to expect a player to go to Anfield and boss the show as Liverpool tend to dominate there. I can't recall for example Ronaldo doing much in games at Anfield. Maybe someone can prove me wrong but I can't think from memory of him going there and playing a blinder. I don't think many players do.

I don't think anything can be taken away from what Arshavin did at Anfield, it will be a feat that will most likely go down in history as the only one of its kind. However I think that Arshavin was able to do what he did because Liverpool had for the run in thrown caution to the wind. The priority was on attack, which left Arshavin with the space to do what he does best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

And, if you'd never seen him play before, and watched the highlights of that game, it's practically impossible to tell which is his stronger foot. I don't think there's many players you could say that about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

As someone mentioned earlier he tends to drift in and out of games. A few games I've seen him play in an Arsenal shirt he's been a complete passenger for most of it but he's the rare type of player that can do nothing for 89 minutes but that 1 minute he produces something outrageous and wins a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Jackobyte wrote: »
    He is quality but he needs to play alongside experience imo. Alongside ramsey and wilshire he is non-existent.

i doubt he has even played one match with those two playing at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Jackobyte wrote: »

Lucky for him he'll be playing along side Fabregas and Rosicky then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

i think he is up there with messi imo

That is outrageous. Messi is the best player in the world atm, Arshavin isnt the best player at Arsenal.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    That is outrageous. Messi is the best player in the world atm, Arshavin isnt the best player at Arsenal.
    whos arsenals best player then ?
    i think he is up there with messi imo , obviously messi only 22 and can get alot better . arshavin is in his peak years now
    ya missed half my post , messi is playin in spain come on premiership is a lot tougher than spain .
    messi is best player in the world atm yeah .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

ya missed half my post , messi is playin in spain come on premiership is a lot tougher than spain .
    messi is best player in the world atm yeah .

Obviously Fabregas.

I don't know what to think of Arshavin, he needs to perform all this season to get anything approaching the adulation he's getting in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Cesc Fabregas.

I also personally rate Robin Van Persie higher than Arshavin, but thats up for debate, i dont think Fabregas is. Dont get me wrong i think Arshavin is an exellent player, I just dont think he is as good as you do.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Cesc Fabregas.

I also personally rate Robin Van Persie higher than Arshavin, but thats up for debate, i dont think Fabregas is. Dont get me wrong i think Arshavin is an exellent player, I just dont think he is as good as you do.
    you an arsenal supporter????
    everyone entiltled to there own opionion
    i just love watchin him play

Advertisement