Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My 2008 car - off the road since March, how do I pay tax?

• 25-09-2009 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

The car I bought this week was taxed till March 2009, how do I tax it in my name?

Do I wait for the VLC to arrive, then declare it off the road till the day I bought it ( should I get the starting date of the "off the road" interval from the dealer I bought it, or can I just put March/April 2009 as it appears on mywheels?), then tax it - is it possible to tax it online, will I get a form from Shannon with the PIN number?

I have insurance, can I still drive it in the meantime?

:o

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Taken from the citizens information website.
    It's an offence to drive without paying motor tax so you should not drive until you receive confirmation that the registration has occurred and you have paid motor tax to your local Motor Tax Office.

Source

Based on the info on the page, you have to wait until you sort out the tax before you can legally drive on public roads.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Hristos

Don't tell me I have to sit and watch my nice new car sit in the driveway for 2 weeks? that can't be right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Go to your local garda station and ask them for a RF100a form or download here https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf . Instuctions for use on the back. Good luck with your new machine.

But I still need to submit the RF101 Certificate or Registration Book with that form - which I will get in the next few days... no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You only have to tax it from the begining of the month that ownership becomes yours. Whether the car was taxed or not before you became the registered owner is of no concern of yours so you don't need to get the Garda to sign any forms to say the car was off the road prior to you owning it.

However, since you only bought the car recently you have to wait for the new VLC to arrive from Shannon with you as the new registered owner before you can tax it. When that arrives you can go into your local motor tax office and tax the car, you will not be able to tax it online. You will be liable for road tax from the begining of September though.

Regarding driving the car without tax until the VLC arrives, yes technically you are not allowed drive the car without tax but get a stamped receipt from the garage stating the date of purchase, carry this with you in the car in the event you are questioned by a Garda. Most Garda are reasonable and understand there is a waiting period between purchasing the car and receiving the new VLC.

However don't park the car in a public place were there are traffic wardens, etc in operation, they can still issue you a €60 ticket for non display of a current motor tax disc on the vehicle as this is a seperate offence to not having the vehicle motor taxed.

• Advertisement

Thanks bazz, that was pretty much my understanding, just wanted to be sure

howdy,

still waiting for insurance disk to come in the post - I praised First Capital in the beginning, but they are slowwww....

Do I really need to fill the insurance details on the tax form? I have insurance, just don't know the policy number yet... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Hristos wrote: »
    Do I really need to fill the insurance details on the tax form? I have insurance, just don't know the policy number yet... :(

You need to fill in a valid insurance policy number on the form. Currently there are no checks (I believe) as to whether the policy number relates to your car.

For example - you could just find the policy number off a car on the street that is valid and use that. I'd never suggest that as It's probably illegal.

When I did my tax renewal on line my car was elsewhere and I couldn't find the policy number so I used my wifes policy details.

Advertisement