Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Cheaper DVD-RW: http://www2.hardwareversand.de/_/articledetail.jsp?aid=22464&agid=699

If you're looking at the 955BE that means you need to overclock it to get the best value from it -- so you should probably budget an additional €50 for a after-market CPU cooler. Although it takes the budget in the wrong direction!

I've read about a lot of people having problems with Seagate; though I've never owned one personally. You could probably get a cheaper performance HDD -- do you really want to pay for 1.5TB of storage?

You could probably go for the cheaper HD4870 -- there isn't a huge difference in performance for the difference in price.

For the CPU -- for about the same price you can get the new intel core i5 750 which is a better chip. If you're concerned about budget, you should also seriously consider the cheaper tri-core Phenom 2 X 3: http://www2.hardwareversand.de/_/articledetail.jsp?aid=25466&agid=1242

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I assume this is a gaming build. Wonder why? ;)

Lots of goodness going on here - barely any minor nitpicks even worth mentioning. But I'll try :D

CPU: Grand, but you'd need a CPU cooler if you're OCing it. And IMHO if you're not dicking around with the X4-955BE's unlocked multiplier you're better off with an X4-945e - much cooler-running ;)

Mobo: No real hate, so long as you're going CF and/or need RAID5. If you don't need RAID5 then CF is almost pointless given the HD5870's appearance. I'd get the cheapo MSI 770-C45 (very good mobo, just fewer gimmicks) and if I was that worried about the HD4890s futureproofing I'd get a HD5850 ASAP instead of a pricier CF mobo and a second HD4890 ;)

RAM: Bit pricey but there's all that CL7 goodness... :D Bear in mind that AM3 CPUs don't recognise DDR3-1600 off the bat, and may need an FSB OC that makes a mockery of the unlocked multi on the X4-955BE. Another win for the X4-945e. Or you could just go for 1333MHz DDR3. Up to you. But CL7-8 is nice anyway, just so long as you're not paying too big a premium over stock. Also look out for cheap lower-voltage DDR3 with some overvolting headroom *cough*GeIL*cough* as that gives you some margin for dicking around with it yourself :D

GFX: As above. In general, if you really think the HD4890 won't go the distance get a HD5850 for epic wins :D ... well, once some appear in stock anyway! :rolleyes:

Case: Win. Hope you're OCing nice and roasty... cool-running parts makes HAF sad... :D

PSU: Grand. Again, if going the CF route you'd need a 750W+ model for a pair of HD4890s so again, cheaper mobo + HD5850 wins :P

HDD: Fair, but Seagates aren't the most reliable nowadays and do you really need over 1TB of storage? Getting a decent 1TB drive would save you €35

DVD: An issue in the most unlikely place... never, ever had a good experience with Sony optics and the NEC OEM jobbies are supposed to be dog-noisy to boot :mad: Get an LG or something, anything, else :P

OS: Bear in mind it won't even ship for another month :o

KB/Mouse: NO. Logically, HWVS keyboards will be in German, won't they? ;) Find another set somewhere else. You could get a gaming mouse and keyboard (macro keys and all) for that kind of money from MemoryC anyway :)

Monitor: Good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EpicKettle

Thanks for the replies guyz :)

I'll start with the HDD, I guess I could settle for 1TB but you see I maxed out the old 640GB hard drive that was in my last build and I pretty much have no choice but to transfer everything over to the new HDD. Won't be doing RAID because I'm donating the old HDD to my friend whose old drive bit the dust. He'll live off his external drive for now ;). It's family storage you see, and there's 6 of us who "need" everything they have on the old HDD or so they've told me :rolleyes: A WD Caviar GreenPower 1TB SATA II - http://www1.hardwareversand.de/_/articledetail.jsp?aid=25463&agid=689 - €68 -

As for the 5850 well that's at least €50 more expensive than a 4890 isn't it? Since waiting no problem for me though, I might wait for some benchmarks of it to appear or are there some already? (too lazy to search google:p) Or would anyone know if it trumps the 4890 by enough to justify the extra price? This is for a single GPU set-up remember.

Now then, the graphics card and motherboard, I'm at odds to do crossfire in the near future cos o the cost and the power it needs. But if I was to get a 5850 or possibly a 5870 (if my bank balance allows it of course) and add one with it's counterpart in the near future, do the frame rate gains justify the extra money? And the mobo you recommended, I'm sorry but just thinking about a cheap board inside my case gives me nightmares...so to speak. I think I'll stick with the Gigabyte for the futur"ish" proofing. The Gigabyte to my knowledge does support 1600Mhz ram or does the box lie?

I'm hoping to OC in the future but since this rig isn't just for my gaming but it will also double as the family computer, (for the time being), the others don't want me frying the whole computer. Which I've "never" been close to doing on my last system. But I might as well go for the 945 and then when I have the ability to OC I'll sell it to one of my friends, god bless them:D, and get a 955 or a 965. Would probably be another flagship out by then I'm thinking.

And the Psu was a counting fail by me:P, I shall be going with a corsair 750hx. Thoughts ?

As for the DVD reader, an area which I have no experience whatsoever:o. What would you get?

While waiting for Windows 7, I'll be trying out Linux as I've never used it and want to see if it's any good. And don't try to talk me out of it:P

The keyboard I was assuming had standard lettering, no? And the keyboard is another thing influenced by my family...Damn them and there wireless needs. I had a keyboard/mouse for €55 picked out that they shot down so I'm stuck with at most a media keyboard. Suggestions then ?

For the OC'ing in the future, soon we'll be together my friend soon:D, I'll be going with a Xigamatek or a Zalman I think.

Well that about wraps up that monster of text :) Also, staying up late on a forum kicks ass...lol *ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

German Keyboard Layout with differences highlighted: http://www.aufgehts.com/images/German_Keyboard.png

Advertisement