Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drivers question

• 25-09-2009 9:59pm

I want to perform a clean install of Windows XP Pro on a desktop running Windows 2000 Pro. I believe I need to backup my drivers to install them later on in XP. How do I backup my drivers though? All the programs I find in Google don't seem to run on Win2K. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

First of all what spec pc have You got? Xp pro with 3 service packs is nowhere near the minimum requirements it once took to run it, its been completely changed 3 times. I'd doubt a pc that originally came with 2000 is up to the task actually

Once you've got a decent amount of RAM (512MB at least) you should be fine. I'd recommend getting new drivers though, XP doesn't really like Windows 2000 display drivers for example.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    First of all what spec pc have You got? Xp pro with 3 service packs is nowhere near the minimum requirements it once took to run it, its been completely changed 3 times. I'd doubt a pc that originally came with 2000 is up to the task actually

It's got a 2.4Ghz processor and at the moment only 256mb RAM. I'm planning to upgrade the memory to 2gb before installing XP though. Will that do it?
    Karsini wrote: »
    Once you've got a decent amount of RAM (512MB at least) you should be fine. I'd recommend getting new drivers though, XP doesn't really like Windows 2000 display drivers for example.

Hmm I thought once I install XP and went to device manager I could install only the drivers that were needed? Wouldn't display drivers come with the XP disc? I'm sorry for my ignorance as I'm new to this. Thank you for your replies gentlemen.

Hmm I thought once I install XP and went to device manager I could install only the drivers that were needed? Wouldn't display drivers come with the XP disc? I'm sorry for my ignorance as I'm new to this. Thank you for your replies gentlemen.

XP has a generic display driver which works with pretty much any card but doesn't work very well. It may come with a specific driver for your card but they're usually limited - no OpenGL support for example.

It has an intergrated graphics thingy if that matters. So what's the best way to go about it then? Install XP then connect to the net and download them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you have SATA drive and an older windows XP CD then you may need drivers to even see the drive

also if you don't have a driver for network card (unlikely unless very new) then you won't se the internet and so won't be able to download drivers

there are apps to backup your existing drivers so you can re-use them , can't remember any off hand

if you have SATA drive and an older windows XP CD then you may need drivers to even see the drive
    It's a fairly old computer so I'm guessing it's not a SATA (SATA are recent aren't they?)
    also if you don't have a driver for network card (unlikely unless very new) then you won't se the internet and so won't be able to download drivers
    The ahem cd I've got my hands on comes with a load of network drivers that apparently should work.
    there are apps to backup your existing drivers so you can re-use them , can't remember any off hand

Which is what I was asking about in my first post :D Upgrading is a lot harder than I thought!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Advertisement