Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help?! general WHV advice needed!!!

Options
  • 25-09-2009 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hello!
    Me and the bf are thinking of headin off to Oz...we are going o book our visa online, and flights. Does anyone have any advice on where to book the cheapest flights? Through Ethiad or a travel agent!?!
    When we arrive there (Melbourne maybe?! lol) should we stay in a hostel until we find a place?! Any idea on what rent is like over there?!
    And then.....when we are looking for work...is there a PPS equivalent which we will need?!
    Whats the craic with health insurance?!

Apologies for the multitude of questions - we are clueless ! ! !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Generally speaking, online is cheaper than travel agent. it will take longer to find the right flights though. I found the cheapest ones on ebookers.ie. shop around though.
    A hostel would be a good bet, im sure there are plenty in Melbourne.(havent been there, yet :D) Or a hotel, but look into this before ye travel. Just so ye know where to go. Melbourne is a big city.
    The aquivilant to the PPS number, it a TFN (Tax File Number). ye will need this to work, you can apply for it online once you're here, here. you'll get it in about 4 weeks. Im not sure if you need a permanent address to get one though, i cant remember.
    there are a few health insurance companies, like MBF or medi bank, so again, shop around. ( i didnt need to get it, so i dont know who's good etc.)
    Hope :)this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

if ur flyin to melbourne, try staty in a hostel like base or somewhere. but its actually cheaper to move into an apartment than stay in a hostel or a hotel or whatever. the only thing though is that u might need to cough up a months rent in advance and then another months worth or rent as a bond. initially its more expensive but in the long run its cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Base in St.Kilda is pretty good... You might meet more people to share a rented flat or something. Things are expensive enough here though, bring loads of $$$!!

All the best!

Advertisement