Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitta Advice!

Options
  • 25-09-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Okay so I've just started 5th year and its a pain compared to 4rth, expected I know:D

Anyways just a few things on my mind

How do you guys learn your essays in history, few tips would be welcome (Keep re-reading key notes, make sentence for starting letter of each key word etc). Because i have to learn off a 4 and half page essay for next week.

And what would be the best revision books for History, Business and English all higher level. I understand rapid revision is good for some subject less stress more success for others etc so first hand experience be nice.

Also i need a Ord level revision book for Maths as I only got a D (HL) on the JC so im dropping to Ordinary level as the HL course for the LC looks way too hard :(

Ta in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Try the LC HL maths course before you start it, don't mind it "looks" hard. If you have a good teacher you never know, things just might click (unless you've done that already, or have made your mind up on it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

For history essays, everyone is different. I'll try to explain how I learn them (hopefully coherantly it can be confusing explaining the inner workings of my mind!;))
    What I do is Ill try to condense every paragraph into 4 or 5 main points, one word usually, then I can expand on them writing the essay. Then when I think I know them I just condense the essay to the paragraphs, so one word per paragraph.As far as learning the stuff actually goes, I usually just sit down and wirte the essay out a few times, I usually type it up, which is really handy, because now I have all my essays saved on the computer. I usually have to spend a good bit of time learning quotes and stuff, just writing them out over and over...

I find this way best because then if the essay title is changed slightly in the exam, you just have to alter it, or merge two essays together, its easier than rote learning a whole 4 pages...

One really important thing about history that I've found is that the last sentance in each paragraph is really important, you should always use it to answer the question ie. explain why the info you just wrote is relevant to the question asked... You should also try to Link paragraphs as much as possible, dont have them too disjointed.

Anyway, don't be too worried if you find it difficult at the start of 5th year, history is soo daunting then! There's quite a knack to writing the essays and picking up marks, it gets easier as you go along, it all kind of slots together!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Shane101

@Jumpguy... Ye i've been trying it man and I'll see how it goes I'm still in the "higher" class but my teacher is just terrible, he's a bleeding genius, but he can't teach, he just can't explain anything properly.

@Els... Thanks, I'll try that method.

Now i just need to know the bettter revision books for them subjects.

Maths(OL)
    Business(HL)
    English(HL)
    History(HL)

Any experience with these revision books (Less stress, Rapid revison etc) be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

Shane101 wrote: »
    Okay so I've just started 5th year and its a pain compared to 4rth, expected I know:D

Anyways just a few things on my mind

How do you guys learn your essays in history, few tips would be welcome (Keep re-reading key notes, make sentence for starting letter of each key word etc). Because i have to learn off a 4 and half page essay for next week.

The one thing that the Irish education system doesn't teach is how we learn , there are lots of systems but the original one is aural, oral, practical, visual. Figure out how you learn and you are sorted. How you learn and memorise are essentially the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Now i just need to know the bettter revision books for them subjects.

Maths(OL)
    Business(HL)
    English(HL)
    History(HL)

Any experience with these revision books (Less stress, Rapid revison etc) be welcome.

For English P2 get Key Notes

If you're not doing the Leaving til 2011 it wont be out yet, but its well worth getting next year once you've done most of the course :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i tried hl maths for my leaving but i just couldnt do it.i failed badly in my mocks so dropped down and got an a2.try the hl course to try it out.

for history i made a lot of essay plans.i the leaving you are marked on every paragraph you write.so i took a load of essays that my history teacher gave me and used the books and broke down each essay into paragraphs and included what info to use in each.quite handy if you dont want to learn a whole essay

Instead of starting new thread

Need to know revison book for :

Accountancy (HL)
    Maths (OL)

Rapid revision or Less Stress more success?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

we havnt even started our history essays yet! my history teacher is a genius, hes like a walking history book, its as though he lived through nd witnessed evrything himself! we only got our book nd started de course last week, cause he decided to cover 1000 yrs of irish history from before where the course starts! hes rocketing through evrything, nd if ye dont keep ur screwed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

He's probably/has been reading the same stuff for a few years.

Instead of starting new thread

Need to know revison book for :

Accountancy (HL)
    Maths (OL)

Rapid revision or Less Stress more success?

Anyone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement