Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iceland to export Whales to Japan.

• 25-09-2009 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

Iceland intends to export whalemeat to Japan!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8275732.stm

I would say fairplay to them,desperate times deserves desperate measures.They are proactively using their natural resources to make money rather than rely on bogus assumptions that EU membership would :

> End their recession
    > Bring jobs
    >Make them be at the heart of Europe(whatever that shiite means)

Hence they have taken matters into their own hands and I am positive they would be better for it as there is a lot of Japanese demand for it....Kudos!!!

Comments

dear jesus, in one post you glorified whale hunting and managed an anti-lisbon rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭deco05ie

dear jesus, in one post you glorified whale hunting and managed an anti-lisbon rant.
    Why is whale hunting so much worse than every other form of hunting?

Serious question, why do people like whales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

So much for Free Willy! :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

deco05ie wrote: »
    not sure but im guessing its something to do with being nearly extinct

well there goes the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

/awaits some absolute tool to compare Mary Harney to whales...

Just dont, because its not funny anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

dannym08 wrote: »

We have loads of Minke whales, there are only a few types of whales that are endangered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

At least they are not "Nama..ing" their way out of the recession but taking commonsensical and practical measures ....and most importantly not decieving their poplulace or giving false hopes about Brussels solving their problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

FearDark wrote: »

Why, does Mary Harney spend a lot of time in the sea or something?

Realistically most of people's reluctance regarding eating whale comes from the near extinction of several species several decades ago, and the positive media that surrounded them.
    There is no real moral difference between eating a minke whale and eating a cow or a pig.
    Our nervousness regarding hunting whales comes from a distinction without a difference based on the fact that our only exposure to whales comes from nature documentaries, not from any genuine reason.

In fact, I'm sure that if you account for the meat, the blubber, the oils etc of a whale, then whales are probably the most valuable animals pound-per-pound in the world.

It's also worth noting that many peoples hunted whales traditionally. Certain types of Native Peoples in the North Americas hunted whales for centuries, and Japanese fishermen have hunted them for generations. It is incredibly arrogant for Westerners to point to a random animal and say "we like that animal, you can't hunt it", but if Hindus or Islamics tried to stop us eating cows and pigs we'd go ballistic.

I actually like whales though, so I wouldn't eat them if offered.

• Advertisement

dannym08 wrote: »
    It's them or us. I'm just glad we have the Japanese to save us.

The fat bastards don't stand a chance.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

How much would Japan give us for Brian Cowen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

:rolleyes:

Anyway sure havnt iceland always gone out of their way to help whales before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm a sucker for charismatic megafauna.

Plus they probably taste shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Captain Paul Watson is definitely gonna be shoppin in Tesco from now on...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mick_ser

don't even think the japanese would take harney of biffo!

bit of a slip

mick_ser wrote: »
    don't even think the japs would take harney of biffo!

Even the Japanese?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Even the Japanese?

Maybe just her knickers?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

$40million will sort out Iceland :rolleyes:

It's the size of the potential market.
    And that's only if they use they use the full quota.
    It's not guaranteed

Tourism / ecotourism IS over 5% of the economy and will suffer due to bad publicity if they go ahead with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

stovelid wrote: »
    Plus they probably taste shit.

Well, I was in Iceland during the summer, and tried some, I can safely say its the nicest meat I have ever eaten. It was minke whale I tried. Its like a very tender steak. People seem to think it will be a fishy thing, but its a mammal so mmm.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

stovelid wrote: »
    Maybe just her knickers?
    They would need bigger vending machines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

fcuk whale!

The money is in blue fin tuna.

fcuk whale!

The money is in blue fin tuna.
    I can't believe it's not Dolpin TM

Little Japanese kid goes home for dinner and is told that today's meal is the Vera Lynn special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

no, she's a fat cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Even the Japanese?

the japanese have a tendency to eat anything. one of the few places where you can order a bucket of baby octapus & eat them live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

procure11 wrote: »
    Iceland intends to export whalemeat to Japan!

So that's what happened to Kerry Katona...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

the japanese have a tendency to eat anything. one of the few places where you can order a bucket of baby octapus & eat them live

Japan has a long tradition with the sea due to its lack of land for farm animals. Most of Japanese protein comes from seafood and soya products iirc.

Up until the 80s, Japanese kids were feed fried whale in school so there is still a market for it. Not a huge amount today as previous years, but this is mainly due to western influences.

BBC have a documentary about it recently that was interesting. It actually showed a village where it was annual tradition to have a whale bbq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

(1)Whale hunting is worse because some Whale spieces are now endangered and It can also be a breach of animal cruelty for the methods used in whale hunting

(2)People like whales because they are beautiful and magnificant creatures. Anyone who didn't know that really needs to watch some Animal planet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I like whales, but I couldn't eat a whole one.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

The problem with Whales is that they are on top of the food chain, they eat fish ( Which we could eat) and plankton (which other fish could eat).
    So basically they are a luxury we can't afford with 6 billion or so people on the planet.

Still it might be good to keep a few around , for movies or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Its is very likely most of us are never gonna see a real big whale in our lives.
    Hence if all the whales are gone, its gonna make little difference to the world.

The world is gonna end in a couple of years anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Am I the only one that read the thread title, mistook 'Whales' for 'Wales' and thought WTF?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

procure11 wrote: »
    At least they are not "Nama..ing" their way out of the recession but taking commonsensical and practical measures ....and most importantly not decieving their poplulace or giving false hopes about Brussels solving their problems.

bit late for them to NAMA considering they let their banks go belly up (if you'll pardon the whale reference..)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Dardania wrote: »
    bit late for them to NAMA considering they let their banks go belly up (if you'll pardon the whale reference..)

that's a fish reference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

FearDark wrote: »

but you just did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

It's the method of killing the whales I have a problem with.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    (1)Whale hunting is worse because some Whale spieces are now endangered and It can also be a breach of animal cruelty for the methods used in whale hunting

(2)People like whales because they are beautiful and magnificant creatures. Anyone who didn't know that really needs to watch some Animal planet
    So it's ok to hunt animals if their not cute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I for one am looking forward to seeing how someone Godwins this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

i thought Japan was the world leader in the manufacture of whales

what with Yokohama etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

So it's ok to hunt animals if their not cute.

That was in reference to you wanting to know why people like Whales. Unless you meant why people like to eat Whales. But I believe people like Whales because they are magnificant.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

eirmail wrote: »
    The problem with Whales is that they are on top of the food chain, they eat fish ( Which we could eat) and plankton (which other fish could eat).
    So basically they are a luxury we can't afford with 6 billion or so people on the planet.

Still it might be good to keep a few around , for movies or whatever.

LOL!
    Wacker wrote: »
    Am I the only one that read the thread title, mistook 'Whales' for 'Wales' and thought WTF?!?

Nope!

Riddle101 wrote: »

Ok ill take your word on point one, but point two?

Sure daisy the frisian down the road is a gas yoke altogether, but im not gonna say no to atin her in two bits of bread and a slice of cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Humans are so greedy...we've dominated the food chain to the point we have fat people. Think about it really, food is such a commodity we have seriously obese people, but more people die of malnutrition every day than most serious diseases combined.* We should export excess food...
    Enough of my rambling, whales are nearly extinct. Tis' bad form to kill the last few. Imagine if you were part of a group that were the last 10 humans on Earth because something ate the rest. Would you not be like "can't the fat bollox just leave us repopulate now, after all, I'm the only male survivor here and the women are seriously fit...Twould be bad form to kill the last few of us, we're defenceless" but then some fat asshole of an animal kills you all?

Exactly. Cop on.

*I'm not searhing the internet to back that up, you retard.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Humans are so greedy...we've dominated the food chain to the point we have fat people.
    We dominated the food chain because we don't like getting eaten.
    There have been several species that used to eat humans - we killed them all.
    Think about it really, food is such a commodity we have seriously obese people, but more people die of malnutrition every day than most serious diseases combined.*
    Leaving aside that you don't know what a commodity is, or else you have a werd idea of the effects of something being a commodity, I think you need to back that up.
    Or is "most serious diseases" code for "those diseases that I can add together to get a death total less than malnutrition"?
    We should export excess food...
    Yes, because dumping surplus food into third world countries hasn't killed enough people:rolleyes:
    It also hasn't crippled native farmers, and devestated the ability of those countries to feed themselves.
    Enough of my rambling, whales are nearly extinct.
    There is no such species as "whales"
    There are different kinds of whales, some of which are abundant, some of which are endangered.
    Tis' bad form to kill the last few. Imagine if you were part of a group that were the last 10 humans on Earth because something ate the rest. Would you not be like "can't the fat bollox just leave us repopulate now, after all, I'm the only male survivor here and the women are seriously fit...Twould be bad form to kill the last few of us, we're defenceless" but then some fat asshole of an animal kills you all?
    1. Humans are more important than animals.
    2. Whales can't think on that level.
    3. There is nothing similar about the two situations, the whales we unt are not endangered.
    Exactly. Cop on.
    Exactly nothing, you don't know what you are on about

*I'm not searhing the internet to back that up, you retard.
    Because it's bollix.
    But let's play your "make-up-statistics" game.

Whale AIDs kills more starving African children each year than any other disease ever, including dying.
    I'm not searching the internet to back that up, you dork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Iceland have €50bn of external debt. I don't see how €40m of whale meat is going to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

There is no real moral difference between eating a minke whale and eating a cow or a pig.

Indeed.

When people were talking about dolphin friendly tuna I was always wondering when we were going to get tuna friendly dolphin.

A lot of tuna species are more endangered than dolphin species.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Iceland have €50bn of external debt. I don't see how €40m of whale meat is going to help.

Only 50 billion?

What a beautiful dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Realistically most of people's reluctance regarding eating whale comes from the near extinction of several species several decades ago, and the positive media that surrounded them.
    Our nervousness regarding hunting whales comes from a distinction without a difference based on the fact that our only exposure to whales comes from nature documentaries, not from any genuine reason.

In fact, I'm sure that if you account for the meat, the blubber, the oils etc of a whale, then whales are probably the most valuable animals pound-per-pound in the world.

It's also worth noting that many peoples hunted whales traditionally. Certain types of Native Peoples in the North Americas hunted whales for centuries, and Japanese fishermen have hunted them for generations. It is incredibly arrogant for Westerners to point to a random animal and say "we like that animal, you can't hunt it", but if Hindus or Islamics tried to stop us eating cows and pigs we'd go ballistic.

I actually like whales though, so I wouldn't eat them if offered.

only problem is the japs took whale hunting to an extreme... you cant compare whale hunting to say livestock... you cannot farm whales its also not about protecting one species of whales and not another its about the eco system

Advertisement