Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths

Options
  • 25-09-2009 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

Anybody doing the new project maths syllabus examinable in the leaving from 2010 onwards for pilot schools? Is it harder or easier than the existing maths syllabus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

its probably easier although a greater understanding of maths is what they are looking for...havent seen an sample papers yet but if its this yr your sittin the course you'lll be doing paper 2 i think project maths and paper 1 as is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

I'm doing it !

We haven't done much on paper 2 yet though...All we done was probability from PM

It seems like a cut down version of whats taught in the book.

Its annoying not having a book for it though..All are notes are on random sheets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

ciano1 wrote: »
    I'm doing it !

Its annoying not having a book for it though..All are notes are on random sheets

But have you a deeper understanding of the distribution of the random sheets?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

What the outline of it? It'd be interesting to see their plan to make maths easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

It doesn't make maths easier, it's just stupid having to explain things in words aswell as doing the maths normally!

Like that way if you had a chance of picking some marks up by a guess they'll surely be gone again when your not fit to explain it!!

I hate maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I was just wondering how it's working. My maths teacher is so excited about it (for next years 5th years, not us). But I was trying to figure out how a deeper understanding is going to help if you still don't know the basics. I didn't understand the basics of algebra until my 3rd year teacher re-explained it. Half my class don't understand the basics, so I can't see how having a deeper understanding could help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I haven't even heard a breath of it in my school. I'm not too sure whether I'm happy or sad I've missed out on it.

As far as I can see, I'm not sure how much will change. I know people are still capable of doing honours maths, they could do it, but they find that the workload is too much and is soaking up their time for other subjects.
    Maths is still maths, no matter how much a subject changes. While if "Project Maths" works and it increases the understanding of maths (not rote learning how to do things) it probably will increase the uptake of honours maths by a few percentile. However, they may dumb-down the exam to do it too. Look at the new formulae tables, for example.

Pass will always have higher numbers than honours maths in LC and JC (although in JC the margin is slimmer).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

I'm doing it and to be honest I'm pretty in the dark about it. The teachers barely know whats going on! We've a pre mock thing coming up in Nov but I've no clue what sort of questions are going to be asked. Our book is a load of paper sheets intended to be kept in an A4 folder - tres awkward >:( its very English looking, wanna go back to the old version :(

Advertisement