Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not sure

• 25-09-2009 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Basically, I am a frequent Boards poster but I'm going unreg for this.

I started back on The Pill last month after a break of a few months and to be honest, I wasn't great at taking it in the last four weeks. I did miss a few pills and doubled up a few times etc. I also wasn't taking it at the same time everyday.

I don't have a boyfriend, just a guy I have been seeing on and off for the last few years. Anyway, I think I might be pregnant now. My packet ended last Sunday so am due to start again on Sunday but I haven't got my period. My boobs are sore, feeling heavy, not something I've ever felt before.

I feel really bad 'cause this guy does not want a baby and I feel contraception was my responsibility as I was on The Pill so I dunno what to do. Should I mention this to him or just take a pregnancy test myself? I am quite young, btw. Not really in a good position to be pregnant.

Any advice on what to do would be REALLY appreciated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well to start with I don't want to see anyone in this thread having a go at the op saying she should have known better.

The only way to know is to do a test.
    Will the guy be helpful and supportive of you while you take the test and deal with the result and while you figure out what to do?
    Or would a good friend be better for you?

Crisis Pregnancy Helpline Lo Call 1850 49 50 51
    Has usually a well informed person who will go over with you the date of your last period
    and other dates and ask the questions about if you contraception failed and will help advise you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I would advise you to do nothing and don't tell him until you have done the test. Get one asap and don't start a new pill packet if you don't get your period. If you need some emotional support doing the test then maybe ask a friend you trust?
    I have done a million pregnancy tests in my life!! Some when I was very young and just had mishaps, others when I was planning a baby but I have often worried or stressed myself into missing or delaying a period so you shouldn't worry too much. You are probably not pregnant but there is only one way to find out. When you do the test you can figure out what to do and how best to tell your partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I don't think there's a reason not to start a new pill packet. If the test comes back negative - well it was false alarm and you need to take it anyway. If it is positive you can stop taking it then, it won't harm the baby.

If it was a false alarm, I would strongly consider a contraceptive implant. It lasts 3 years or so and you don't have to worry about forgetting pills (which is obviously an issue)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I would always talk to a doctor about taking a new pill packet if I missed a period. There is obviously a reason her period hasn't arrived. Best person to talk to about that would be a doctor.

Anyhow you will probably get your period before Sunday if you have a negative test but I would always be on the cautious side. A negative test can be wrong.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here. I don't need to worry about starting a new pill packet because I did a test this morning and it was positive.

Thanks for the advice though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bumpintraining

hi just read your post really sorry but have no real great advice for you just wishing you the best and hope it all works out. Make sure though you not going through this alone tell someone who will be supportive as you need hugs and luv right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Sorry if this sounds a little too practical, but the test kits in Tescos are half the price you'll pay at your local pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Congrats OP :D

I know it's not planned and not what you thought would happen at this stage but I was gutted when I found out I was pregnant and now can't imagine my life without the little fella!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Congrats OP :D

I know it's not planned and not what you thought would happen at this stage but I was gutted when I found out I was pregnant and now can't imagine my life without the little fella!

Thanks, gowayouttadat :)

I'm terrified though. I just turned twenty and I honesty am not financially stable enough to take care of a baby. Still haven't told the daddy and don't know how to either. I am sure he will hit the roof as he has always said that he never wants to have children. Plus, we're not even together. I know my parents aren't going to be thrilled either. :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I feel for you missus.

He probably will hit the roof but when all is said and done contraception is the responsibility of both parties. Even if you were religious with the pill there was still a chance of pregnancy occurring, if he wanted to be sure he should have worn a condom too.

I think your first port of call for support is a trusted friend who will be able to back you up when telling your parents and partner. You're going to get a lot of people telling you what to do so I would suggest having at least an idea of what you want to do yourself before telling them.

Make a GP appointment and contact positive options.

Whatever your decision, the support is out there for you.

Take care of yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement