Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to place winter light for chickens ?

Options
  • 25-09-2009 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

i have 2 pet chickens in my garden

i heard you have to put a light in their house during winter to keep them laying

they live in a small plastic dogloo, similar to the eggloo chicken house

where should i put the light,

anybody have any tips on winter lighting for chickens ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

A 40 watt lightbulb is apparently enough to keep them laying - sufficient light, in other words, for you to read a newspaper by, is all you need. They only need it 12-14 hours a day. In terms of the chickens requirements, a low-wattage light inside their house on an automatic on-off timer is all they need. In terms of your requirements, you need to figure out a safe, weather-proof way to get electricity out to their plastic dogloo and rig up a light that won't set it on fire or cause them discomfort. Is their house in a sheltered area, or is it open to the elements? Do you have an external power point?

Considering the low lighting requirement, could you use a solar-powered product like a variation on those solar garden lights? Your local DIY store may be the best place to visit in terms of finding weatherproof cabling. You may find that a long, weatherproof extension lead that can be hung safely inside the coop and into which you can plug a weatherproof nightlight-style light may be the best option, but your first concern definitely needs to be the safety of electricity in an external environment!

(On that note, the folks in the DIY forum (Rec>Home & Garden>DIY) may be your best bet?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I heard from someone who keeps hens that feeding them hot food keeps them laying too - their normal food made sloppy with hot water he said.

Anyone heard of this?

Advertisement