Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea Wardrobe 236cm high Help!!!!

• 26-09-2009 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

I have bought a wardrobe and taken delivery and now the fun of putting it together. I have one main worry about height of it. Its 236cm when completed but my slicing is maybe 10cm more at 246cm. If I put it together on the floor lying down I would not be able to stand it up without hitting problem. Has anyone got idea for me? I was thinking of putting it together while standing but can this be done? Any advice would be very helpful.

Regards Gar32
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

i guess with a few extra hand u could put it together upright in the middle of the room then just lift it into the corner when ur done. mite take 3 ppl but prob best solution

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ash_kay

The instructions (unless they have changed recently) include the steps to follow if you want to assemble it upright. It looks a little bit more trouble, but it's certainly possible. The amount to clearance needed to raise it up is also listed in the instructions, so it's probably worth checking that out first, in case you actually have enough height.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Just opened box and I need 244cm and only have 240com :( I wil have to try upright. Thanks for you interest and help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

OK after lots of work and heart ach I have the wardrobe together. Anyone need advice drop me a line. Hard work but worth it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

gar32 wrote: »
    OK after lots of work and heart ach I have the wardrobe together. Anyone need advice drop me a line. Hard work but worth it :)

hi i have exactly the same problem as you had and im so glad to hear it worked for you! just bought a 236cm pax wardrobe and website/ catalogue said a ceiling height of 240cm was needed, but the instruction book says 244! we were so annoyed and thought it wasn'y going to be possible to build. we are now thinking of vertical assembly? any advice would be much appreciated as we paid £30 delivery and really don't want to start trying to return it!
    thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I recently put together a pax of similar size. My ceiling was only 240cm but was sufficient.

In reality you need about three people to put it together. it was really hard work just because of the height. There's MAJOR SWAY on the sides as you're putting it up and a lot of attaching screws ripped out of the holes and created major problems.

It's grand now but putting it together was MAJOR WORK. Have as many people to help. Ideally you'd need one person to hold each side and stop the sway and then another person to run around doing the assembly actions.

Hi, got two 236cm pax wardrobes up at 240cm ceiling height- just assembled them standing up. Found it very straightforward in the end and am delighted with the result. Only problem is now that I've discovered Ikea, everytime I go into the place I end up buying a large item of furniture! It's just too cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi

couple of questions if anyone could help please?

I'm getting a pax wardrobe today of the 236cm height, but the floor to ceiling of room is 239, would this be enough clearence?

Do you need to remove the skirting boards from the walls? (Going in a corner.)

Does this just mean you need to use your own drill etc?
    "Different wall materials require different types of fixing devices. Use fixing devices suitable for the walls in your home, sold separately."

Was this sufficent, did you need extra fasteners etc?
    "This furniture must be fixed to the wall with the enclosed wall fastener."

Can I change the inside layout of wardrobe at later date, like add in shelves and drawers etc, or do you need to add those fitting sin before it's fully assembled?

Any tips greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks,
    LJ

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi

couple of questions if anyone could help please?

I'm getting a pax wardrobe today of the 236cm height, but the floor to ceiling of room is 239, would this be enough clearence?

"Different wall materials require different types of fixing devices. Use fixing devices suitable for the walls in your home, sold separately."

Can I change the inside layout of wardrobe at later date, like add in shelves and drawers etc, or do you need to add those fitting sin before it's fully assembled?

Any tips greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks,
    LJ

hiya

my ceiling height was 240 and it just fit- im not too sure about 239cm.
    mine is in a corner and didn't need to remove skirting boards.
    started off using a manual screwdriver etc- quickly changed to electric!
    didn't fasten it to the wall and know others that have not done it either.
    u don't need to think about the inside at all until u have assembled the main structure- they can all be chosen and changed at a later date- it's good fun chosing different bits and pieces at that stage :)
    good luck!

milly

Thanks a million Milly, that's a great help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Hi
    Just about but it'll be close
    No, but just check that what ever you use to fix the wardrobe to the wall is sufficient and will account for htis
    Only part you need the drill for is when you attach the wardrobe to the wall

basically you need to find a suitable fixing for the wall, e.g. is the wall concrete, plasterboard etc. If you figure that out and ask at a good diy shop they'll be able to help you. You need to attach it at two points on the walls. I would DEFINITELY fix it to the wall. You're just asking for trouble otherwise. That's a big wardrobe to come down on top of someone
    You can change it around however/whenever you like. However because the wardrobe is so tall (I mentioned the problems I had with the "sway" earlier), I found that putting shelves into it and a clothes rail helped straighten up and support the wardrobe.

I know that the previous poster mentioned that they used an electric screwdriver but I'd be very wary of doing that particularly when you're starting off. You run the risk of sheering things and forcing things and possibly causing damage.

As mentioned before DON'T TRY THIS ON YOUR OWN. You need at least two people. It's a whole lot of wardrobe!

Thanks hardy eustace, all noted and taken on board.
    LJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭mountain

you really do have to fix it into the wall, to make sure it stays solid,
    when i put mine together, i removed the skirting board, otherwise the back would not of been flush with the wall.

Thanks Mountain, I think I'll definitely fix it to wall alright.
    On two minds about removing skirting boards, will decide when it's up I guess.
    Probly will though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gregw

Hi ellejay - how did you get on?
    I have exactly the same space ( 239cm ) and would really like to know if it can be done before i commit to buying.
    Any feedback much appreciated.

yep went up no hassle.

but i had to cut away the carpet underneath it.
    also removed the skirting boards so it was "flush" against the wall.

you'd really need someone to help you, if not two helpers.

you need to assemble the wardrobe in the room you want to install it in.
    the instructions are in pictures, no words!!

the instructions tell you how to install either standing up or lying down.

before you cut carpets etc, hold the side panels up and you'll see the space you have.
    looks great, like a built in wardrobe.

also, i fixed mine to the wall, feels more secure.

i'd recomend the wardrobes no problem.

Advertisement