Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic design experience, what to expect??

Options
  • 26-09-2009 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi all, I'm new!

I am starting a one day per wk work exp. in a design/marketing company in Cork.

I am keen to impress and I'm wondering if there is any1 workin in a similar company could you tell me what a person in my situation would be expected to do:confused:

I'm interested in the design aspect more but hav studied marketing too.

Any thing I should brush up on? Any tips really!!?

Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks in advance

G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

Hi all, I'm new!

I am starting a one day per wk work exp. in a design/marketing company in Cork.

I am keen to impress and I'm wondering if there is any1 workin in a similar company could you tell me what a person in my situation would be expected to do:confused:

I'm interested in the design aspect more but hav studied marketing too.

Any thing I should brush up on? Any tips really!!?

Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks in advance

G.

Well it depends; every studio/office is run different.
    From way back when I did work experience & having students in working with me – heres some of what you could be doing (but everywhere is different so it may be nothing like this for you)

You may be asked to make the tea.

Depending on your skill level, they may ask you to cut out images in Photoshop, or clean up adverts. Or smaller task like updating an existing business card or similar.

they may also get you to spray mount images onto card for a presentation (depending on type of work that is produced there)

if a member of staff isn’t particularly busy they may be willing to sit with you and give you a few tips, & talk to you about what they are working on currently

Or they may just let you browse the web and do your own work.

Some things to keep in mind
    Bring a flash stick with some of you work on it, you may get some freelance work thrown your way if you make a good impression.
    Be interested and enthusiastic (obviously), but play it cool and don’t be over the top.
    Know when to take a step back if the person you are sitting with needs to get on with a job.

Best of luck with this, and I hope you make some good contacts.
    Lets us know how ya get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Grafenwalder

Thank u scottie for ur helpful reply, had a chat with him today n starting mon.

He was askin me what programmes i can use i said photoshop n illustrator.

He asked me did i kno inhouse and i said iv never touched it.
    He was grand wit that, said he would teach me the basics if im willing to learn.
    Of course I am, so i goggled inhouse and cant find a thing?

Did i miss hear him?

I assumed inhouse was a layout programme? Could any1 clarify this?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

indesign I would imagine. Software-wise it's fairly similar UI to Illustrator, the only thing you may need a crash course in is print preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    indesign I would imagine. Software-wise it's fairly similar UI to Illustrator, the only thing you may need a crash course in is print preparation.

+1 .. the two main print layout software are indesign and quark

If he said InHouse ... I'd fear learning things from him :P (joke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 absinth

Thank u scottie for ur helpful reply, had a chat with him today n starting mon.

He was askin me what programmes i can use i said photoshop n illustrator.

He asked me did i kno inhouse and i said iv never touched it.
    He was grand wit that, said he would teach me the basics if im willing to learn.
    Of course I am, so i goggled inhouse and cant find a thing?

Did i miss hear him?

I assumed inhouse was a layout programme? Could any1 clarify this?? :confused:

Don't want to sound like too much of a pedantic Pat, but if you're keen to make a good impression then you'd want to make sure you use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation in any work-related documents or communications. Even with informal internal email you should avoid using txt speak and use a spelling checker; it's obviously of the utmost importance for anything customer-facing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Grafenwalder

Thanks for all the relpies, just an update to what I am doing if anyone is in the same position as me.

I am using Indesign (Never touched it before and finding it really easy, very similar to Illustrator but the quality is so much better)

I have been updating existing clients business cards, brochures, fliers, letter heads. All of which on Indesign.

No tea or coffee duties!!

Next week I am starting on a new clients business card and stationary set so that will be great!

I love it!

P.S I hope my grammer and spelling is up to all of your standards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Glad to hear it's going well - good luck with it! :)

Advertisement