Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone help me figure out grade related stuff??

Options
  • 26-09-2009 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I'm in my 2nd year of Social science roysh.

But no-one has ever explained the grades system properly.
    I know my grades this year count towards my degree, but do my 2nd year grades count as much as my 3rd year grades?
    Do I need high grades in both 2nd and 3rd year to get a first? What grades do I need to get a first??

Thank ya :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Depends on the degree... it's either: 50/50 or 30/70 split over 2nd year and 3rd year respectively. I may be wrong but if it is the latter (i.e. 30/70) I think they take your best 6 modules from 2nd year.

You will need high grades in both 2nd & 3rd year to get a 1.1 but you don't need to get a 1.1 in 2nd year to get it overall.

A first = 70% and above i.e. an 'A-','A' or 'A+'

You'll need a GPA of 3.67 or above for a first overall

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

You need to get a GPA of 3.68 to get a first.

There is lots of information on the UCD website about this. For your degree:

http://www.ucd.ie/acshs/gpa_from0708.pdf

It says that it includes all 12 modules from Stages 2 and 3 equally weighted. This means you need good grades this year AND next year. :eek:

This website has lots of info re academic regs - including the GPAs you need for each class of degree:

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/asug/honoursclassificationofdegreeawards/asugtitle,20170,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

For last year's social science degree, it was 50/50 for stage 2 and 3 results. So if you want a decent grade you've really got to start working from day 1 of 2nd year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

If you're in second year now, then you're on the 50-50 weighting system, I just finished a BA in this manner, got a 1st and I'll tell you one thing, arts and social science might be pissy to some people but trying to do well in them is a lot of work! In one way it's worth it but in another way, kiss your social life good bye!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

El Siglo wrote: »
    I just finished a BA in this manner, got a 1st and I'll tell you one thing, arts and social science might be pissy to some people but trying to do well in them is a lot of work! In one way it's worth it but in another way, kiss your social life good bye!;)

Pffffft. I never drank as much in my life as when I was in final year. Towards the end of it there were days when I'd have had 10 cans of your favourite piss-flavoured water on a Tuesday night and not even have a hangover the next morning.

There's nothing stopping you from doing well and enjoying yourself. What matters for final year/postgrads is structure. For the final four months of final year (all my exams were in May) I was in the library by half 9 every morning and did not leave (except for coffee, lunch and lectures) until 6pm. One day a week (usually Monday) I spent all day in the library. That meant every Tuesday-Saturday I was a free man from 6pm until 8.30am. That's plenty of time for drinking, courting and general mischief. (I engaged primarily in the former-most.) Obviously the last month consisted of 13 hour days, five days a week; but before that stretch I'd had an absolute ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Klurton

Ahh okay thanks a mil... I'm finding 2nd year really hard, there's so much work and I'm already slipping behind. I want to do a masters in Social Work so here's hoping I don't get lazy and **** it up. =/

Advertisement