Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about PPI(Phonographic Performance Ireland)

Options
  • 26-09-2009 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Dear all future entrepreneurs,

I took over an Internet Cafe business two weeks ago, a letter came yesterday from PPI with €438.97 outstanding balance. :mad:

My question is what's the best way to deal with this. I'm not playing any music in store, but customers often listen to the music online.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

If you don't play music, don't pay it. If customers listen to music online, then I believe its a seperate issue, best to ring them and clarify it. As your customers are only listening to it themselves (as in for just 1 person) it should not clarify as a public performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

WTF??

Dont pay that

Whenever a sound recording (CD, Tape, LP) or music video is played in public, broadcast on the radio or carried over a cable service (TV), a royalty must be paid to the company that produced the recording.

What are they basing this figure on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Tell them go fcuk themselves. 4 or 5 years ago I did just that and hav'nt heard from them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Cheers lads.

The tone of the letter is very serious.'we'll secure a judgement against you,we will publish it in the Stubbs Gazette......'

It got me worried. Even if I have to pay as an Internet cafe, a new bill would be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kerplunk.

Canonfan wrote: »
    I took over an Internet Cafe business two weeks ago, a letter came yesterday from PPI with €438.97 outstanding balance. :mad:

Just out of interest - I have often walked past Internet cafes in Dublin city centre advertising Internet access for 1-2euro per hour and wondered how this type of business makes money, most only seem to have about 10 PCs and even if all of these were in use all the time, which is never the case, the business would only be making 10-20 euro per hour which would bearly cover the staff members wages let alone the over head of renting a shop in Dublin city centre and the other business costs, how do Internet cafes make money?

• Advertisement

kerplunk. wrote: »
    Just out of interest - I have often walked past Internet cafes in Dublin city centre advertising Internet access for 1-2euro per hour and wondered how this type of business makes money, most only seem to have about 10 PCs and even if all of these were in use all the time, which is never the case, the business would only be making 10-20 euro per hour which would bearly cover the staff members wages let alone the over head of renting a shop in Dublin city centre and the other business costs, how do Internet cafes make money?

I was thinking the same until recently took over one myself. First of all you shouldn't charge 1euro per hour unless you have to. For example the shop next door is charging 1euro per hour.Then neither of you will make a profit.

My shop is in pretty good location with lots of tourists and office workers/students passing by. I charge 1euro per 20minutes (3euro per hour) but member can get 12hours for only 10 euro.

In most of the days customers come in and sit down for 5 to 10 minutes checking emails,printing out Ryanair boarding pass/CVs etc. In other words every PC can be turned around a few times per hour.

I only have 10 members at the moment, many people couldn't be bothered to sigh up for membership. I can't complaint, the option is there.

The profit margin on printing and copying is HUGE. International phone calls also bring you good profit. On top of that you can sell soft drinks, chocolates and phone cards.

The key is good location and friendly service. Business is not as good as before but sure everywhere is the same.

Sorry my English she is not so good. Any question just pm me.

Sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

If it is an outstanding balance, then it sounds like a bill that was left by the previous owner. I think the best thing would be to ring them up to see what the story is.

I would be interested to know where the figure came from. I wonder did they pay a visit to the previous owner and catch him playing something ?

BnA wrote: »
    If it is an outstanding balance, then it sounds like a bill that was left by the previous owner. I think the best thing would be to ring them up to see what the story is.

I would be interested to know where the figure came from. I wonder did they pay a visit to the previous owner and catch him playing something ?

Yes it looks like a bill from previous owner who has left the country already:o

I'm not planning to play music in the shop, will call PPI see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 junior1281

Hi, similar question - I play music in y shop, but it is streaming over the web - Radio from a different country.. shell I still pay it? No physical radio in the shop, no Irish/UK stations used..... Thanks for letting me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

junior1281 wrote: »
    Hi, similar question - I play music in y shop, but it is streaming over the web - Radio from a different country.. shell I still pay it? No physical radio in the shop, no Irish/UK stations used..... Thanks for letting me know.

Doesn't matter where it comes from, what matters is you are playing it to an audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 junior1281

No good... ;-) Thanks a lot

Advertisement