Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford United vs. Bohemians - EA Final - Tonight

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Don't knock the sunshine supporters, I spoke to guys there tonight who rarely come to the rsc but after tonight said they'd like to in future.They may or may not,but reaching a cup final has stirred up some interest in the club.

If they do attend regularly in future then great. I bet most of them dont.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Sully wrote: »
    Afaik, they sell tickets both in the club, on the night and in some shop in Waterford. The new club online shop will, hopefully, sell tickets also.

I dont own a crdit card to buy anthing on line.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I am not a Waterford United supporter. I have never attended a game. I wasn't at the game today and I have no intention of ever going. If Waterford United could get half of what attended tonight on a regular basis then they wouldn't haver the financial troubles of the past while.

People who come out for the big games, they are sunshine supporters. Every team has them. Same happens for hurling and other sports too.

I agree 100%.

Don't knock the sunshine supporters, I spoke to guys there tonight who rarely come to the rsc but after tonight said they'd like to in future.They may or may not,but reaching a cup final has stirred up some interest in the club.

Success breeds success in football and the more success United have the more people will turn up to games.
    These 'sunshine supporters' along with the young lads are the future of our club, don't knock them,embrace them.

I would love to know hiow many that were there last night and how many of them will be there for the next home game which i think is against Longford on Tuesday or Wednesday night. I am sure that when Waterford Utd were in the F.A.I. Cup final a few years back, a lot of supporters suddendly came out of the wood work and did so again last night. People you say said they will return to the RSC again. I am sure that many of these were the same people that said the same after the FAI cup defeat a few seasons back.

You see the same thing in the G.A.A. at Championship time. You have people going on the radio etc telling all that want to listen what great supporters they are and how many games they go to. These people drive me mad. How many club games do they go to. how many underage games do they go to. What club are they affiliated to. I'm afraid to say, in most sports Waterford have lots and lots of sun shine supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

Who gives a s**t!! Free country anyones entitled to go!

• Advertisement

anon11 wrote: »
    Who gives a s**t!! Free country anyones entitled to go!

Who said they are not allowed. I'm just expressing an opinion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Deise Tom wrote: »

Buy one of those debit style mastercards - pay 20euro and you get a mastercard with 20euro. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭alphapa

Success breeds success in football and the more success United have the more people will turn up to games.
    These 'sunshine supporters' along with the young lads are the future of our club, don't knock them,embrace them.

excellent point there mate the "hardcore support" seem to like having it as a closed shop and being the small group of supporters! they giv out that people dont go to the matches and they when they do go they give out that there only sunshine supporters! seems like its a no win situation and it puts people off going!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Great to see the RSC full last night, it's just a shame it does'nt happen more often. I go to every game home and away and I for one would love to see the "sunshine supporters" come back more often. A massive league game v Longford on Tuesday night and an even bigger one on Tuesday week v Shelbourne which are both on in the RSC.
    Don't just make one trip every time the TV is down, get out there more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

There to me would appear to be a problem or two within the club which to me does not help the whole thing. A while back i emailed the club and made a few suggestions, like say coming to Dungarvan maybe once a month for a day and sell lotto tickets in the shopping centre, maybe a ticket that you buy and be put in for every draw that month. I also suggested that an outlet be found in Dungarvan to sell club merchandise.
    You can buy tickets on the gate, even if you arrived 5mins after the game started and you'd get in. There's a club shop inside the ground, behind the main stand - What else do you want?
    www.3v.ie - get one of these.
    alphapa wrote: »
    excellent point there mate the "hardcore support" seem to like having it as a closed shop and being the small group of supporters! they giv out that people dont go to the matches and they when they do go they give out that there only sunshine supporters! seems like its a no win situation and it puts people off going!
    That's a load of crap. I'd love it if we could get crowds like that every week!
    We rarely get over 500 for important league games, yet 4,000 turn up for a pretty small cup final.
    The fact is, if even 1,000 showed up regularly for league games, we could afford to bring in better players and really push on getting promotion, and becoming an established premier division side - maybe even going professional in time! That will NEVER happen though if people only come out once every few years for a 'glamour friendly' against Ipswich Town, or a League Cup final. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Part of the reason why the Blues got such a big crowd was because of the big promotion behind it. It was promoted as a big event and people were asked to come along, even if they did not normally. Also the EA thing in City Square would have increased awareness.

I plan on going to more games, but very much time constrained and ticket purchasing is a little awkward for me!

Hopefully the new college supporters club will drive more people along. :)

Sully wrote: »
    Part of the reason why the Blues got such a big crowd was because of the big promotion behind it. It was promoted as a big event and people were asked to come along, even if they did not normally. Also the EA thing in City Square would have increased awareness.

I plan on going to more games, but very much time constrained and ticket purchasing is a little awkward for me!

Hopefully the new college supporters club will drive more people along. :)

Serious question, and not knocking anyone, why dont those in Waterford United do similar promotions for ordionary league games and maybe a few hundred would turn up. These promotions should not just be in Waterford city. More people from the west of the county should be entised to the R.S.C. as well as people from say South Tipperary and South Kilkenny. Neither of these counties have a League of Ireland Club now, and maybe Waterford Utd should be moving into these areas to gain extra support. Maybe match reviews and previews could be done for the local papers in these areas.

i think the club might be actually doing more harm to itself then good the way things are done now. I dont think it looks good to hear Club people on local radio etc complaining that only between 3 and 5 hundred are turning up for the games. Maybe the club has to sell itself better and people will turn up, maybe one way to do this would be to set up a Public Relations Committee. Maybe get the club to visit the west more often. How many were aware that the club has trained in Cappoquin a few times. I know i didnt until i heard it yesterday. If the club was to let it be known that they were training in Waterford on such a night, Dungarvan on such a night, Cappoquin on such a night, maybe people would turn up see how the players train, maybe get to known them that way, and maybe as a result of getting to know the players, people will go to Waterford etc to see them playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

There to me would appear to be a problem or two within the club which to me does not help the whole thing. A while back i emailed the club and made a few suggestions, like say coming to Dungarvan maybe once a month for a day and sell lotto tickets in the shopping centre, maybe a ticket that you buy and be put in for every draw that month. I also suggested that an outlet be found in Dungarvan to sell club merchandise.

I was told in no certain circumstances that what i suggested was not on. I was told that tickets are for sale from so and so in Dungarvan and also in such and such a pub. I dont think they realise that not every one that shops in Dungarvan is not from Dungarvan and therefore do not know everyone that lives in the town, and i am sure that there is not one person that lives in the town that knows everyone, so to say they can be got from such a person is not on. I am and am sure a number of other people do not drink and therefore have no reason to go into the pubs in Dungarvan just to buy lotto tickets. And anyway, it is mostly early on a Saturday when i am in town and the pubs are not open at that stage.

To me if the people involved with Waterford Utd want the people of the city and the county to support the club they have to get off their arses and to go out and set up or find outlets where people can help out the club by buying lotto tickets, jerseys etc.

Coming up to big G.A.A. matches you see people involved in the g.a.a. give up of their time to sell flags etc in public in Waterford and Dungarvan etc, find outlets for year books etc to be sold. if the G.a.a. can do it, why cant Waterford Utd.

I do not want to be see to critisie, just offering some constructive critism.

It infuriates me to read this kind of nonsense and it always seems to happen about Waterford United.

I am a supporter of the club and help out any way I can. This means selling tickets, putting up posters and everything else that comes from supporting the club.

I am also aware that there are a lot of supporters that are not in a position to help out to that extent but still attend games and buy the tickets for each fundraiser.

Having supported the club for many years, I think it is an insult to those who currently run the club to read the likes of There to me would appear to be a problem or two within the club which to me does not help the whole thing.

The club is one of the best run clubs in the league. It hasn't wasted money foolishly over the past few years and it is a far cry from the bad old days that are in the not too distant past. The current Board are to be commended for their commitment and dedication to the cause. Yes they do go on the radio and talk about the lack of support - perhaps that is frustration at the knockers. But all I see are a dedicated bunch of people who have nothing but the best interests of the club at heart which was not the case in recent years. There is also a healthy supporters club that do a lot to raise money for the club and help out on matchdays. And they have a very successful Lotto draw which is run around the city and county!

I have heard the players on the radio recently and they all talk about how good the club is and the way they are treated which is inherently different to the stories coming from down the N25!

Waterford United deserves support. Waterford has a proud tradition of football but the sixties were the halcyon days of Irish football and those days won't come back. This has been an exceptional year so far and hopefully they will gain promotion and perhaps reach the FAI Cup final and here's to another few hundered supporters coming back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Well said scout.

scout353 wrote: »
    It infuriates me to read this kind of nonsense and it always seems to happen about Waterford United.

I am a supporter of the club and help out any way I can. This means selling tickets, putting up posters and everything else that comes from supporting the club.

I am also aware that there are a lot of supporters that are not in a position to help out to that extent but still attend games and buy the tickets for each fundraiser.

Having supported the club for many years, I think it is an insult to those who currently run the club to read the likes of There to me would appear to be a problem or two within the club which to me does not help the whole thing.

The club is one of the best run clubs in the league. It hasn't wasted money foolishly over the past few years and it is a far cry from the bad old days that are in the not too distant past. The current Board are to be commended for their commitment and dedication to the cause. Yes they do go on the radio and talk about the lack of support - perhaps that is frustration at the knockers. But all I see are a dedicated bunch of people who have nothing but the best interests of the club at heart which was not the case in recent years. There is also a healthy supporters club that do a lot to raise money for the club and help out on matchdays. And they have a very successful Lotto draw which is run around the city and county!

I have heard the players on the radio recently and they all talk about how good the club is and the way they are treated which is inherently different to the stories coming from down the N25!

Waterford United deserves support. Waterford has a proud tradition of football but the sixties were the halcyon days of Irish football and those days won't come back. This has been an exceptional year so far and hopefully they will gain promotion and perhaps reach the FAI Cup final and here's to another few hundered supporters coming back!

Yes Waterford United do deserve support, but not everyone is in a position to get to the RSC to see the home games. Not everyone drinks in Dungarvan in the pubs that sell the lotto tickets, and not everyone knows the people in Dungarvan and the surrounding areas that sell lotto tickets.

My point is that People within the Waterford United Club, be it those responsible for running the club or maybe the supporters club you mention should go out and meet the people that cannot get to the RSC to do not know the people in the west of the county that sell lotto tickets etc. I am sure they might be surprized.

I know the majority of the people that see people selling a lotto ticket etc in a public place like a shopping centre etc will buy it ahead of some of the charities that sell them outside the same buildings and on the street because they know when it comes to a club that the money they hand over will be spend wisely, which does not happen with the scratch cards etc.

If the people involved with the running of the club or even the supporters club are not prepared to go out and do this, then to me, the club is not worth supporting. I expect having said this that the die-hards will be on telling me i am wrong in what i say, but i dont give a fiddlers fcuk. i am just expressing a personal opinion and if others dont like it, there is nothing i can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

i go to games fairly regular, the 15euro admission fee for an adult and 1 free child is ok value, however, most of the football fans I know wont go to First Div football for the same price of seeing Premier League teams..

Simple facts are if they want more fans they need to be at least Premier and bring it back to Friday nights.. Saturdays nights are stupid.

its a catch 22 I know, because to sign better players they need more € from the gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MikeyReilly

If the people involved with the running of the club or even the supporters club are not prepared to go out and do this, then to me, the club is not worth supporting. I expect having said this that the die-hards will be on telling me i am wrong in what i say, but i dont give a fiddlers fcuk. i am just expressing a personal opinion and if others dont like it, there is nothing i can do about it.

The club is run by a small group of local businessmen who give up their time to do so. They have enough on their plate keeping the club afloat on a very limited budget. There is members in the supporters clubs from Dungarvan that sell the lotto tickets and do their best to advertise the club in the area.

To say the club is not worth supporting because it simply doesn't have the time or the resources to be out in the shopping centres all over the county every week is just plain unfair. I'm not having a go at you here Deise Tom. I respect your opinion just letting you know a few facts.

The Blues get a fair bit of coverage on WLR these days and have their own "Blues News" column in one or two of the local papers, so it's not like we are not in the public eye. You seem to think that Waterford UTD aren't doing enough to get new fans in the gate. You couldn't be further from the truth.

I am one of the diehards that go every week without fail. I am always trying to encourage friends and work colleagues to go too and always get the same answer...... I wouldn't go watch that crap! Most of them have never even being once.

The biggest problem is if people don't want to go there is not much you can do. If we are top of the Premier in a few years time we would probably have crowds of 3-4000 which would be fantastic but in a soccer mad county like Waterford should we not at least expect this kind of support.

Advertisement