Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment situation/Economy in New Zealand

Options
  • 26-09-2009 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Im just wondering what is the general employment/economic situation in New Zealand at the moment? ( Apologies im sure this has been asked before)

Im thinking of a WHV so would appreciate any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Just out of recession, 1.6 percent growth last quarter i think. As for jobs wise, check out seek.co.nz, or trademe.co.nz for work. Depends what area you work in. Saw on the news the other night that there is also alot of emigration here aswell, 20,000 a year, so some jobs will still be in high demand for a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Really depends on what sector you are looking at. Unemployment is still ment to go up only slightly though. If its just the usual backpacker stuff you should be OK but there is some competition out there. Although a hell of a lot less that OZ. Also you can work in one job for a year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

does have to be said that heaps of supermarkets nad petrol stations here are still putting ads up on the windows saying they need staff. something i did *not* see in oz or ireland lasta time i was in either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Hows banking/financial services/office work does anyone know?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Anyone know about engineering either?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tipptop2008

Since every one else is asking anyone know what the story is with accounting? Should be there early 2010 so hopefully the economy should be well on the mend by then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I am afraid I dont know anything about those sectors.

Try www.seek.co.nz or www.trademe.co.nz to see what jobs are out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

dont know, but did meet two irish accountants about 2 months ago, who had been here for less than a week, and had both managed to secure jobs in separate companies. both working as accountants.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Anyone know about engineering either?

have been keeping an eye on seek, but havent seen much in my line of engineering... What area of engineering are you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Claasman wrote: »
    have been keeping an eye on seek, but havent seen much in my line of engineering... What area of engineering are you looking at?
    I studied building services, just finished this year, working in civil(surveying etc) but trying to specialize in exterior/highway lighting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Don't expect to get much interest if you arrive on a WHV, they'll consider you a backpacker regardless of career. If you just want temp or contract work you might be okay but If you want to get a full time job you must demonstrate you want to stay for a few years and that you'll be able to get a visa. If your jobs not on the skills shortage list you probably will find it hard get a visa. There's lots of kiwis home now from the UK and abroad that have taken up much of the slack in the jobs market.

Still way better then Ireland/UK though, just bring plenty of cash to see you through the job hunting times. Also remember NZ takes a big summer holiday over Xmas so dont expect much job hunting to go well in Dec/Jan.

Advertisement