Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we setup a Chinese Lantern Subforum?

Options
  • 26-09-2009 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

As per thread title :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I share you're frustration but If people don't know they are Chinese lanterns, they'll still post in the A&S forum!
    They won't post "strange lights in the sky tonight" under a Chinese lanterns forum unless they know that they are chinese lanterns and if they know that they are chinese lanterns, they won't post at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

I know what a tracker morgage is,will that help me?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

No, but a UFO sticky would be nice to eliminate all the "OMGZ I SAWZ A UFO LADS!!!" theories. There's very little unidentified flying objects, and just because you know what it is doen't make it unidentified.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    A Chinese lantern can refer to the following: I just Love/hate boards,the way it forces my curiosity to research things!:)

If i ever see an unidentified Physalis alkekengi,i shall post it here before phoning for an Ambulance!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Seriously, how common are chinese lanterns?
    I saw an orange light in the sky tonight over Dungarvan, much bigger than the space station, travelling west to east. I know it wasn't a UFO but was it really likely to have been a chinese lantern?

Calibos!!!! over to YOU......................................:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

showry wrote: »
    I saw an orange light in the sky tonight over Dungarvan, much bigger than the space station, travelling west to east. I know it wasn't a UFO but was it really likely to have been a chinese lantern?

Cylons!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

mukki wrote: »
    Cylons!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I was just making the point that Dungarvan's probably not the most likely place to come across a chinese lantern. I thought it might have been a satellite or a fireball but if you say cylons then cylons it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Sleipnir wrote: »
    I share you're frustration but If people don't know they are Chinese lanterns, they'll still post in the A&S forum!
    They won't post "strange lights in the sky tonight" under a Chinese lanterns forum unless they know that they are chinese lanterns and if they know that they are chinese lanterns, they won't post at all!

Your logic is flawless. Live long and Prosper my friend :D

It was meant as tongue in check as you are aware. Asking for a subforum is funny whereas asking for a sticky wasn't funny...but actually a good idea. I was aiming for humour this time though, not a good idea per se. :D
    jumpguy wrote: »
    No, but a UFO sticky would be nice to eliminate all the "OMGZ I SAWZ A UFO LADS!!!" theories. There's very little unidentified flying objects, and just because you know what it is doen't make it unidentified.

A UFO sticky is a good idea to keep UFO threads clogging up the place.
    How about this for a Title.

UFO Sticky - If it was orange don't bother posting, it was a Chinese Lantern :D

Now, I want to point out. I posted this jokey thread, not to make fun of people mistaking Chinese Lanterns for UFO's, but more to highlight how many UFO/Chinese Lantern threads we've had lately. It is totally understandable that people would post to this forum asking about what they saw. I have zero problem with it other than the fact that the forum is filling up with these threads and we have to keep answering the same question. I would have thought it would be better to have a single special place for them so they don't clog up the rest of the forum and people reading might find the answer to what they saw without even having to post a thread on the subject. The only person I made fun of was the person in one thread who rejected the Chinese Lantern explanation and moaned that they were entitled to believe what they wanted, ie. it was visitors from Seti Alpha IV. Thats the only post/thread that should have been moved to the conspiracy forum :D

Yes. It used to be just a Chinese celebration thing, then it became an Irish Wedding and/or post fireworks display thing, now its even a house party thing!! Take it from us. All these descriptions in these threads sound exactly like what we telescope owners have seen naked eye too. The difference is, we have a telescope beside us which we have pointed at these things and upon close inspection, they always turn out to be a Basket/tray with a flame suspended under a paper balloon...ie a Chinese Lantern

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    Yes. It used to be just a Chinese celebration thing, then it became an Irish Wedding and/or post fireworks display thing, now its even a house party thing!! Take it from us. All these descriptions in these threads sound exactly like what we telescope owners have seen naked eye too. The difference is, we have a telescope beside us which we have pointed at these things and upon close inspection, they always turn out to be a Basket/tray with a flame suspended under a paper balloon...ie a Chinese Lantern

Cheers. I'd genuinely never heard of it but perhaps that says more about my social life than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Cheers. I'd genuinely never heard of it but perhaps that says more about my social life than anything else.
    Same here. I was beginning to think Ireland was getting very oriental or there was some big Chinese celebration on where tradition was to release these lanterns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement