Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corrupt AppData/Local file

• 26-09-2009 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

Hi, Im having quite a problem with this at the minute, the above file/folder is corrupt and I keep getting warnings about it.

When I boot up the computer, Dos runs a check, but it says it cannot open the file and to run system restore, but that doesnt work either, it says 'The disk OS (C) has errors.
    Windows has detected file system corruption on OS (c). You must check the disk for errors before it can be restored'.

But I cant check the disk for errors because it cant open it.

Then I also keep getting popups in the taskbar of various programs saying the same thing,

e.g. chrome.exe - corrupt file
    the file or directory c:\users\conor\appdata\local is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

If I try to open the Appdata/Local folder, I get the following message:

c:\users\conor\appdata\local is not accessible.
    The file or directory is corrupt or unreadable.

Is there any alternative other than to wipe the disk and reinstall windows?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

do a surface scan on the drive

which OS do you have ?

right click on the drive and properties, tools , check disk
    or at a dos pompt
    ckhdsk /f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

do a surface scan on the drive

which OS do you have ?

right click on the drive and properties, tools , check disk
    or at a dos pompt
    ckhdsk /f

Have win 7 rc on it.

When i try to do that disk check, it doesn't let me, says the disk is in use and can be done on a restart. but when i restart i get the above problem.

I have a hunch it is a certain programme that is causing the problems (full tilt poker), they had an update the other day, another one now and it says i cannot extract the updated files. i cant uninstall the programme either, it says some other error message.

Tbh I think my computer is basically fecked!!!!

Guess I have no choice but to reinstall windows...

Bit daunted by doing this, but I guess once I know what to do Ill be ok. Is it just a case of backing up drivers and files? Or have you a link that gives a guide to doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

When i try to do that disk check, it doesn't let me, says the disk is in use and can be done on a restart. but when i restart i get the above problem.
    Zuh? Are you saying it doesn't run the checkdisk, or that the checkdisk doesn't find any errors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

fatguy wrote: »
    Zuh? Are you saying it doesn't run the checkdisk, or that the checkdisk doesn't find any errors?

it doesnt run checkdisk. Just get error after error.

Noob ques: Would setting up a new profile solve my problems?

Advertisement