Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Walking Boots

Options
  • 26-09-2009 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Taking up hill walking in a moderate sort of way. Up to now have been happy enough with a a pair of trainers, but a recent trip up to Tonduff convinced me I need a pair of boots.
    TKmax are selling boots made by Karrimor, Trespass and Rohan, leather and fabric, some with Vibram soles.
    Anybody have any experience of these brands?

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dont have any experience with those brands, have a karrimor sleeping bag although.

If you're planning on taking it up as a fairly regular hobby you'd want to get something like this(at least):
    http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/shopping_admin/product_details/product.cgi?product=947207&cat=Footwear&sub=Footwear--Mountain%20Walking

You're better off paying a bit extra for something that will last thatn getting the cheaper option. Although if you'll only be doing it now and then the TKmax ones might be ok. If they have vibram soles they cant be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭micawber

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You're better off paying a bit extra for something that will last thatn getting the cheaper option. Although if you'll only be doing it now and then the TKmax ones might be ok. If they have vibram soles they cant be too bad.
    Thanks Mickeroo. They also had a pair of Scarpa for under 100.
    Don't want to skimp on quality but after having a quick look around the shops amazed at some of the prices for boots jackets etc. Apart from being naturally a bit stingy :cool: a part of me feels that there is a line between being sensible equipped and being as it were over-engineered for the job at hand.
    Would appreciate any comments on merits of leather vs fabric and recommendation for sensible rain jacket.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

micawber wrote: »
    Don't want to skimp on quality but after having a quick look around the shops amazed at some of the prices for boots jackets etc. Apart from being naturally a bit stingy :cool: a part of me feels that there is a line between being sensible equipped and being as it were over-engineered for the job at hand.
    Would appreciate any comments on merits of leather vs fabric and recommendation for sensible rain jacket.

Scarpa are top notch. Leather is more water proof than fabric but not quit as comfortable. I use leather at the mo.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Scarpa are top notch. Leather is more water proof than fabric but not quit as comfortable. I use leather at the mo.
    Couldn't get scarpa in my size. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

micawber wrote: »
    I went through 3 pairs of boots before finding a pair I was really comfortable in, so in my case I made a mistake by buying an expensive first pair as I guess I really didn't know what I was looking for in a boot. Vibram soles are important for Irish conditions in my opinion. We took an informal survey in our walking club and Meindl was by far the most popular make of boot.

I find that fabric boots soak up water in Irish conditions and can get very heavy. Personally I prefer leather, but I do wear a pair of lighter fabric boots on easier Summer hikes.

I would invest in a good rain jacket, you'll get years out of it and will use it as much around town as you will on the hills. I've used a Berghaus Cornice for years and think it is great, just make sure to get a jacket which will cover your rear end :)

I'd buy cheap raintrousers and cheap and cheerful fleeces to round off the mix. Also, spend a bit of time choosing a rucksack, your neck and back will thank you.

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »
    I went through 3 pairs of boots before finding a pair I was really comfortable in, so in my case I made a mistake by buying an expensive first pair as I guess I really didn't know what I was looking for in a boot. Vibram soles are important for Irish conditions in my opinion. We took an informal survey in our walking club and Meindl was by far the most popular make of boot.

I find that fabric boots soak up water in Irish conditions and can get very heavy. Personally I prefer leather, but I do wear a pair of lighter fabric boots on easier Summer hikes.

I would invest in a good rain jacket, you'll get years out of it and will use it as much around town as you will on the hills. I've used a Berghaus Cornice for years and think it is great, just make sure to get a jacket which will cover your rear end :)

I'd buy cheap raintrousers and cheap and cheerful fleeces to round off the mix. Also, spend a bit of time choosing a rucksack, your neck and back will thank you.
    Sounds like very good advice. Hadn't thought about the saturation factor with fabric boots. Was also told by a pal that he swore by Meindl.
    Thanks for your help.

Advertisement