Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal stuff to do before emigrating?

Options
  • 26-09-2009 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like I'm heading to China in January and I'm wondering do i need to tell the government that I'm off?
    Do I need to file tax returns for the first three years abroad?
    I don't want to return in 10 years to a summons or something.
    Do I need to inform the tax office or anyone else for that matter?
    Is it possible to keep my bank account open here with my savings in it and just use online banking..is it better to move the funds to somewhere less which doesnt charge me dirt tax on my savings??

Any advice greatly received!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I let the tax office know but that is also because we recerived child benefit, which obviously goes away when you no longer live in Ireland. You can keep your Irish bank account but will need a Irish mailing address (friend, family) for the statements; at least my bank would not send them abroad. We found having the Irish account very useful, as it takes a while in the USA to get a good credit rating/ credit card, so we just keep using our Irish one.

Other legal stuff:
    - register at the Irish embassy once you arrive, so they know you are there in case anything bad should happen to you/ the political situation in the country gets dicey.
    - If you are going by yourself, you might consider a power of attorney for your Irish finances (bank account/ porperty etc), and a medical power of attorney in case something happens to you while in China alone.

Advertisement