Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to stamp authority

• 26-09-2009 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Hey Im started my fourth year teaching practice in a secondary school last week. Its a 10 week block release. Things started very well with no chatting and misbehaviour. However I think this was down 2 de fact that they didnt know what I was like and were cautious. But as thursday and particularily friday came the kids were more chattier and disruptive.

What can be done to re-stamp youre authority?

Much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

DOn't give out, keep your cool. Move troublemakers/talkers apart, don't let pleas for "i want to be with my friends" or I won't do it again stop you. Its your classroom and you can make them sit where you like. Also don't move trouble to the front, if someone likes looking around then put them at the back on their own. Don't badger kids that have no interest at all into working too much, just get them to tip along at the subject and as long as they have some homework done or else they will hate you and the subject. Also make someone stand if they are causing you too much trouble and dish out detention, that softens their cough sometimes.
    If you treaten anyone with punishment, carry it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gettingthere

:)please don't make them stand, it will only get their backs up and belongs in the dark ages!. Find out what the school policy is and USE IT. Whether that is referral, detention, written work or whatever. They will take a little time to settle down - you are new, they are not that long back. Draw the line and stand by it but use other staff members for advice and backup. And good luck. And look up positive discipline methods.

sorry now gettingthere but standing is a punishment that is direct and kids respond very quickly to, it deters them from everything and as much as its traditional, its highly effective. Kids in my school don't give too hoots about detention or referrals, written work etc but they most definitely hate standing. To me thats positive, gains respect because I do something about their antics or lack of effort and they don't try a thing anymore and to me, thats effective,

I grew up in schools with the traditions of physical punishment, sarcasm and abuse....and as we all know, they didn't do any of us any harm, did they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

TheDriver wrote: »
    standing is a punishment

Yes it is. Just keep a mental note of all the kids you will make stand between now and the day you retire and then think about all the lower back problems you have caused.

There is a better way. There are lots of teachers managing difficult classes who do not have to resort to these sort of tactics.

• Advertisement

each to their own, whatever works. everything disciplinary is punishment to be honest. I implement all the school's procedures but found a little deterent of my own worked wonders with those who insisted on excuses for homework etc. It works and now no one stands because they hate it and hence avoid the punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

When on teaching practice, it's not advisable to do something that might land you in it with management e.g. making them stand or putting them outside the door.

If you have a class leading into a break, use it as your own detention time to punish latecomers, no homework etc. I usually threaten them with 'if you're going to waste my time, I'm going to waste yours'. Most kids never figure out that you hate doing it as much as them and usually you'll only have to do it once or twice, well worth it!

since when is discipline only negative-focussed? the most effective discipline is positive discipline, and can be used at the same time as negative 'discipline'. Find out what makes them tick - stars in their copies, good comments in their journals, simple words of praise - and use them. Find out what other staff members do with this group to 'plamas' them along. And remember - as a student you have to be more creative, as you are a new member of staff to them. But don't be afraid to make mistakes it is all part of the learning process.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

I've found that's its down to setting boundaries. for the first 5 weeks of my 4th year t.p. I was strict, and didn't listen to any stories from them re homework etc, also learning their names helps, using a seating plan and calling a roll at the start of each class will help to do this. Also moving around the room a bit helps impose your presence around the room as a whole, as opposed to just the front of the room. pupils will behave better if they are completely sure where you are in the room. standing behind a troublemaking pupil instead of correcting them in front of the whole class works for me too. Its all about presence and confidence. You "own" the room and show them that you do.

Knowing the school discipline policy is a must also. Possibly have some punishment work to give as homework, and have it with you in every class, should you need it, you have it to hand.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

NEVER put a child outside the door, you have no idea what they are at or where they will go.

• Advertisement

• pathway33 wrote: »
    Yes it is. Just keep a mental note of all the kids you will make stand between now and the day you retire and then think about all the lower back problems you have caused.

There is a better way. There are lots of teachers managing difficult classes who do not have to resort to these sort of tactics.

Lower back problems from standing for an hour? I must sue my secondary school then, as we had to stand through hour long assemblies and church services!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Keep them busy with interesting and appropriately pitched work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

[quote=[Deleted User];62405068]we had to stand through hour long assemblies and church services![/quote]

what sort of a church doesn't allow you to kneel down? :eek:
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• pathway33 wrote: »
    what sort of a church doesn't allow you to kneel down? :eek:

Jokes aside, it wasn't a Catholic church :p

Advertisement