Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai v. the Joeys (Dublin Airport Police)

• 26-09-2009 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Anyone else see this story in the Phoenix or the tribune.Hilarious.Apparently the gardai and DAP haven,t been getting on very well for some time now.The gardai being such an elite body tend to look down their noses at the DAP nicknaming them joeys (after the baby kangaroos that can,t leave there mothers pouchie.ie having no powers off the airport grounds) while also resenting their superior pay.
    Any way it seems a couple of off-duty and retired guards got stroppy with the joeys and found themselves in bracelets.The Phoenix went into it in more depth but theirs nothing online.But heres the tribunes version of events.

http://www.tribune.ie/news/article/2009/sep/13/gardai-may-sue-over-arrests/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Quoted for those on boards mobile or whatever.
    Gardaí may sue over arrests
    Ali Bracken
    A GARDA superintendent and a former garda were arrested and handcuffed at Dublin airport within three days of each other by airport police following minor traffic incidents and are now considering taking legal action about how they were treated.

On 27 August, an off-duty superintendent was asked to move his car in the airport's multi-storey carpark. A verbal altercation ensued and the garda, who refused to identify himself, was arrested and handcuffed by airport police for failing to adhere to by-laws within the airport.

He was then "frog-marched" through the airport and handed over to local gardaí, who have a station within the airport. He was released without charge shortly after this.

Three days later, a retired garda failed to stop at a pedestrian walkway at the departures road at the airport.

The airport policeman attempted to stop the former garda crossing the road because of traffic but he "darted out" regardless.

Again, a verbal altercation ensued and this man was also arrested, handcuffed, walked through the airport and handed over to gardaí. Soon after, he too was released without charge.

By-laws exist within Dublin airport giving airport police the authority to arrest people before handing them over to gardaí.

A spokeswoman for Aer Rianta said: "Two members of the public were arrested in these incidents. As far as we're concerned, procedures were followed in the two cases. Airport police have powers of arrest. The by-laws are there and anyone in contravention of them can be arrested."

It is understood that the superintendent and former garda arrested are unhappy at how they were treated by the airport police and both are exploring whether legal action is a possibility.

How about they do the same as the majority of other people who get hassled and treated unfairly at the hands of guards and grin and bear it..

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

On 27 August, an off-duty superintendent was asked to move his car in the airport's multi-storey carpark. A verbal altercation ensued and the garda, who refused to identify himself, was arrested and handcuffed by airport police for failing to adhere to by-laws within the airport.

Proper ****ing order. What makes him think he's above the rules? Not moving your car and not identifying yourself in an airport is looking for trouble.

Gardaí are there to uphold the law. That means them too. ****in idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

There'll be war over this 'til the day pigs can fly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tasers for the joeys! - only to use on uncooperative Garda though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

F*ckin' delighted over this! Couldn't happen to a nicer shower of w*nkers.

Gobshites think they're better than the rest of us...

Seriously, fair fucks to the airport lads. Try and teach these gits some humility.

Tasers for DAP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

wtf is it with all these lads supporting the Joeys

as far as i can remember anyone who is even remotely involved in security at an airport is a power tripping douchebag, much worse than your average garda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

*Waits for a Garda to emerge and tell people to lay off because all of the facts are not yet known,

vay-hickle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Smyth wrote: »
    Proper ****ing order. What makes him think he's above the rules? Not moving your car and not identifying yourself in an airport is looking for trouble.

Gardaí are there to uphold the law. That means them too. ****in idiots.

Here's an insight into those sort of Gardai's minds:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Good enough for them. Couple of Gardai saw my buddy picking up a 'No' Campaign poster that he found on the side of the road as they drove by and thought he ripped it down. Instead of arresting him they figured that giving him a good amount of digs and throwing him on the ground was the ample response. Bunch of ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Thread title is a bit misleading.

1) The super was off-duty, and did not follow airport policy and was arrested. No problem there.

2) The second one was retired. And he broke the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

D-Generate wrote: »
    Good enough for them. Couple of Gardai saw my buddy picking up a 'No' Campaign poster that he found on the side of the road as they drove by and thought he ripped it down. Instead of arresting him they figured that giving him a good amount of digs and throwing him on the ground was the ample response. Bunch of ****.

Either that or Brian Cowen has created his own little SA who coincidently wear Garda uniforms. Anyway I've heard of a fair few stories where Gardai have treated people badly, one garda stole 20 euro from a lad at my school a couple of years ago. But unfortunately you need proper evidence to take them down.

Any good on the DAP, nobody is above the law not even the Gardai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Dankoozy wrote: »
    wtf is it with all these lads supporting the Joeys

as far as i can remember anyone who is even remotely involved in security at an airport is a power tripping douchebag, much worse than your average garda

lesser of two evil's.
    people have more run in's with garda then they do with the joey's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

You're going to find *****r's anywhere you look, some Gards are sound minded and fair, others are not.
    Same with the Joey's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

Just knew there was a thread on this somewhere and there was.
    Whats all this about the Airport Poleece now getting On the Spots fines and going to do more clamping when the new Terminl 2 is open for business ?
    Is that true ? And there will be more Dogs and Dog Poleece patroling the Drop Off road ? The place is mad out there at the moment with Road Works everywhere. Ended up in the Hire Car place myself where I didn't want to go.

Will the Gardi be taking over the Terminl 2 policiing when its open ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

So the Joeys and the Mules are at each others throats?

jaysus, no ground breaking news there.

Move along now... move along or I'll taze ye ye cunt:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

:eek:Good on the fcukin Joeys here I say.

Fcukin retirees from the Piggery seem to think they are above the lawr.

No fcukin way ...taze the cnunts....and test the seam of their scrota

I thought a joey was a baby kangaroo :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The airport police are dickheads, over-eager to try to use their powers. Once, one stopped me claiming that I hadn't stopped at a pedestrian crossing when one of their guys was going to cross. I was already passed through it before the guy started crossing but he expected me to revere him and stop and wait while he sauntered up to the crossing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Alpha Papa

Abraham wrote: »
    Just knew there was a thread on this somewhere and there was.
    Whats all this about the Airport Poleece now getting On the Spots fines and going to do more clamping when the new Terminl 2 is open for business ?
    Is that true ? And there will be more Dogs and Dog Poleece patroling the Drop Off road ? The place is mad out there at the moment with Road Works everywhere. Ended up in the Hire Car place myself where I didn't want to go.

Will the Gardi be taking over the Terminl 2 policiing when its open ?

Yes, this is correct the Airport Police received the power under section 27 of State Airport Act 2004 to issue Fixed Penalty Notices for any offence under the Airport Byelaws of 1994 (Traffic,Parking,Public Order or safety issues etc..)

Also from the same Act for the first time they will now have power to issue a Fixed Penalty Notice to a person/s that have cause a breach of the peace/disturbance in flight (once the aircraft doors are closed) or failed to comply with a direction of cabin crew.

Before this it was always the State National Police (Gardai) that had to deal with this but now the State Airport Police powers have been increased in this areas taken on it alongside the Gardai.

No Gardai will not be taking over policing this complexe its actually the opposite. The Department of Transport and DAA are quite happy to have Airport Police Service continue provide law enforcement services and as you have read above they have received increased powers and also huge investment in equipment/training and infrastructure to this end now more then ever there there will be less Garda involvement believe it or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

Good enough for the P**cks, they are a little club out for themselves, had plenty of stuff stolen and vandalised on me and do you think they could be bothered doing anything even though I gave them enough information. They are only good for motor fines and doing easy targets, shower of c**ts.

To be honest there is no major rift between either police service without the support of the Gardai the Airport Police would have hard time opertating or getting summons delivered etc.. You will always find a bad egg in every job no matter what type of work it is..

And with everything thats happens there always two sides to every story but with that if you simple go against what any general direction of policeman or woman the world over generally as a rule of thumb your going to be giving out to evening if your not a Garda! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Airport police? I wouldn't let them secure a smyths toystore! AP, take your well informed opinions back to aviation and aircraft. This is after hours where most of think that airport security are cnuts!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

Airport police? I wouldn't let them secure a smyths toystore! AP, take your well informed opinions back to aviation and aircraft. This is after hours where most of think that airport security are cnuts!!!!

I'm guessing you had a run in with them!! I think your statement there is a tad bit...wrong! Take a look back over the 2 pages and you should find that the majority of posters are in agreement with AP and that their actions where completely above board!

I'll take my well informed opinion where ever i want but thanks for your concern preset!

Preset, you've a way with words mate. :/

Ar*eholes are ubiquitous in all walks of life. Good to see 2 of them get their dues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

comin back from a boozy stag weekend (now, i was not incapacitated drunk, just having a laugh causing feck all trouble) i got the stags bag and threw it on top of the taxi rank shelter outside the airport - juvenile behaviour i know, but lads on a stag...:D

we couldn't reach it and after 20 mins at 12.30am stag was gettin pretty pissed off. so i decided to suck it up, go in and ask one of the 'joeys' to maybe just try grab a small steps and a brush so i could knock it down. i was really nice explaining it and was very apologetic for doing something so silly.

the 2 guys i'd to deal with were the most arrogant, power crazy, unreasonable dickheads i'd ever had to deal with. they threatened me with arrest for leaving unattended luggage on the grounds, refused point blank to do anything to help me get it down (not like it was a big job) and tried very forcible to get us to leave without the bag. i scooted off and found a group of 3 electricians down behind an outbuilding and they immediately came round with a ladder, all the while telling me i was worse to ask those 'jumped up assholes' for anything and in full view of the 2 s'hitheads just set up a ladder, pushed the bag down end of story - took not a minute. the 2 lads were visible very very pissed off with the electricians for helping. i gave them the finger and walked away.

gaurds are bad - but lads who think the're gaurds are worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Having worked for a short period at the airport dealing directly with the airport police daily, I can say that they are the biggest shower of idiots I have ever known. Sure some of them were grand but there were a good number of assholes there.
    They really do behave just like kids playing a police game, trying to do everything the gardai do but on a small scale. You could find them setting up checkpoints on the airside service roads, inspecting the baggage trucks to ensure everything is in order, pulling in fully approved construction traffic by sticking the car across the road in front of them as if they were about to commit murder. One day I saw them do their own road worthyness test on a brand new truck cause they didnt like the driver. They reluctantly allowed to him to continue.

Causing a nuisance of yourselve in a international airport is not likely to attract positive attention the world over.. but saying that you may have just been dealing with just grumpy pf's

There's two sides to every stories of course there arseholes in every jobs ive met my share in every trade or profession.

Generally no body likes being told NO or stopped for whatever reason or being told to move on etc etc...

And yes there power tripper in the AP's not going to lie but no different to Guards,Customs shop security, bouncers they all have them too.. its life unfortunatly!

You ever think that maybe there's reason for the police setting up VCP's or checking baggage trolleys to see if they are safely secured.. ever think that airlines some times in there haste dont secure baggage cause there in hurry to get a aircraft turn around on time and get last bag on?

The result is luggage or containers falls off and can cause hazards to both Aircraft and persons.. There has been serious injury caused when luggage containers have fallen off trailers colliding with persons or vehicles.. cause of this can also be down to vehicles driving to fast or dangerously?

Thats why the AP are there to enforce byelaws and airside safety regs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Alpha Papa wrote: »
    Causing a nuisance of yourselve in a international airport is likely to attract positive attention the world over.. but saying that you may have just been dealing with grumpy pf's

There's two sides to every stories of course there arseholes in every jobs ive met my share in every trade or profession.

Generally no body likes being told NO or stopped for whatever reason or being told to move on etc etc...

And yes there power tripper in the AP's not going to lie but no different to Guards,Customs shop security, bouncers they all have them too.. its life unfortunatly!

You ever think that maybe there's reason for the police setting up VCP's or checking baggage trolleys to see if they safely secured.. ever think that airlines some times in there haste dont secure baggage cause there in hurry to get a aircraft turn around on time and get last bag on?

The result is luggage or containers falls off and can cause hazards to both Aircraft and persons.. There has been serious injury caused when luggage containers have fallen off trailers colliding with persons or vehicles.. cause of this can also be down to vehicles driving to fast or dangerously?

Thats why the AP are there to enforce byelaws and airside safety regs.

i've no doubt they're there to do an important job, as are guards, bouncers, security and the list in endless. but unfortunately it's these types of jobs that attract power hungry dickheads with no great capacity to deal with situations individually and in a manner likely to be the easiest.

instead, they deal with situations in a manner likely to escalate said matter in the hope of using the full extent of their powers to end the mind-numbingly boring plod through life these poor unfortunates call their 'day'...

Im not going to disagree with you their it happens.. it could have happened easily that you could have met a decent PF who would have helped you and got you sorted and on your way.. and you may then be writing a complimentary comment here if you know what i mean.. but unfortunatly you experience was a negative one but like everything there's good and bad in every job..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Ah im delighted with this, funny story! Gardai are complete cu*ts, idiots who think they actually have a bit of intelligence, and as for the airport police, they are even more useless. Good to see the Guards though getting a bit of harassment instead of them doing it for once!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

VinnyTGM wrote: »
    You're going to find *****r's anywhere you look, some Gards are sound minded and fair, others are not.
    Same with the Joey's.

True enough. But if that's the two guards attitudes when they're off duty i can't imagine them being sound minded and fair when they're on.

The Flutther was waiting outside the Departures terminal in his pvt car to pick up a passenger when this Joey,festooned in gear,fcuker was about 6 feet wide with the gear on his belt,waddled over and hammered, I say, hammered, on the window .

'There's no waiting here,can't you read' was his opening shot.

The Flutt dropped the window, surveyed the gimp and focused on his ID,them calmly produced his own ID.

'Try it with some courtesy next time rambo' says the Flutt and John Rambo waddled away to regret his attitude.

Most of the Joeys are reasonable though you will always get the gimps who get their rocks off harassing the public.

The Flutther rattled the stones in his nutpurse, if he had any:cool:

Metaphorically speaking

You got a red one Flutt? :D

Mine's blue, but it still does the job.

No sympathy for thebigbiffo from me though. You were on a stag. it was 1230am. You threw a bag on top of the canopy. If you were sober then my name is "Mud". It being a stag is no excuse for acting the d*ck.

People, you can do one thing, and one thing alone with your bags at an airport. Keep it in arms reach. Them's the rules, just like the charter on boards. If you leave it anywhere else, security is supposed to treat it as if there's something wrong with the bag. Possibly explosively wrong. If you're lucky, the security guy you deal with will be nice enough to deal with it as best he can. But if you act like a drunken sh*t, you'll be treated like a drunken sh*t.

Stupid actions can have serious consequences. Fact of life.

Wait a sec, this is AH, not A&A

A far better prank thebigbiffo, (heard this happen in UK) is to put a toy gun deep down in stag's check-in luggage, then pile a load of s&m gear & gay men's mags on top of it. When the light goes off, and the bag is pulled over for search, the joeys have to wade through all that to get the toy gun (they'll confiscate it, but I'm sure it'll be worth it for the look on stag & everyone's faces!)

Oh, and the stag has to be there to see them search the bag. Thems the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

The Flutther was waiting outside the Departures terminal in his pvt car to pick up a passenger when this Joey,festooned in gear,fcuker was about 6 feet wide with the gear on his belt,waddled over and hammered, I say, hammered, on the window .

The Flutt dropped the window, surveyed the gimp and focused on his ID,them calmly produced his own ID.

'Try it with some courtesy next time rambo' says the Flutt and John Rambo waddled away to regret his attitude.

Most of the Joeys are reasonable though you will always get the gimps who get their rocks off harassing the public.

Metaphorically speaking

Oh Holy God, what a post, climb down out of your own hole. You sound exactly the same as the self important gimps this thread is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I think the lack of respect for the AP's is that they enforce bye laws, same as a litter warden, dog warden or Park Constable in the Phoenix Park yet none of the these use the term "Police". If the AP's were renamed Dublin Airport Security Company and acted as a private security company, not wannabe Gardai, the public might have some time for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

trad wrote: »
    I think the lack of respect for the AP's is that they enforce bye laws, same as a litter warden, dog warden or Park Constable in the Phoenix Park yet none of the these use the term "Police". If the AP's were renamed Dublin Airport Security Company and acted as a private security company, not wannabe Gardai, the public might have some time for them.

They also have statute powers under the various Air Navigation & Transport Act dating back to 1936 when they where first introduced.

Airport Police are not wannabe Gardai well most of them arent. Ive wanted to join the Airport Police since a young age never been interested in the Guards. I like aviation,law and helping people I find the Airport Police offers that pefect mix. The condition and perks they the Police have are better then the AGS or most emergency services generally speaking which is also a good attraction.

Joining the Airport Police now you do the same test type test as the Gardai/Prison service in Public Jobs (Airport Fire do same type as DFB)

You have fitness test, Interviews, 3 months training, year as probationer with full powers and mentor to support you.

In any walk of life people dont like being told no or that your doing something wrong (goes back to the days as a child when a parent tells you have done something wrong as we grow up, we think we have the right for no one to say we are wrong anymore) especially in Ireland there seems to be a problem with authority.

I see it everyday in my current role. I see people give Gardai and Customs grief for being stopped and asked a few simple questions so if there going give abuse then god forbid the lowly APO on the Departures road requiring you to move on as is the rule it wouldnt be to hard to imagine some not being happy with that either.

Airport Police is a appointed Police service under the guise of the DAA/DOT there members are all Authorised Officers for the minister under law and they are issued with warrant card from the Minister Of Transport (issued under section 15 of Air Navigation and Transport Act 1950).

Security in Ireland have very limited powers they cant force you to move,they cant arrest you for not supplying your details or penalising you for speeding, look up STT rail threads on Boards and see how people complain about the lack of actions they do on the luas as STT security is limited by law.

Instead do you hear of a lawlessness airport.. No as there is a dedicated police service for the state airports that help maintain safety and security of the airport let the traveling public and staff go about there business safely and comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Metaphorically speaking

So were you waiting in an area you shouldn't have been? If so, why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

So were you waiting in an area you shouldn't have been? If so, why?

I assume, since he mentions in his post that he was in his private car and that when he flashed his I.D., the airport cop scuttled off, that Mr. Bantam is a Guard, and as such it was his entitlement to park where he wanted.

Pookah wrote: »
    I assume, since he mentions in his post that he was in his private car and that when he flashed his I.D., the airport cop scuttled off, that Mr. Bantam is a Guard, and as such it was his entitlement to park where he wanted.

That's bollocks, and you know it. Private car, picking up a passenger, what gives a Gardai any more right to park in a no parking zone than anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

That's bollocks, and you know it. Private car, picking up a passenger, what gives a Gardai any more right to park in a no parking zone than anyone else.

First you're assuming my assumption is correct and then you're assuming I'm not being sarcastic in acknowledging his sense of entitlement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homer

Jobsworths either bunch...

Pookah wrote: »
    First you're assuming my assumption is correct and then you're assuming I'm not being sarcastic in acknowledging his sense of entitlement.

Sorry, sarcometer is broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

Cianos wrote: »
    There'll be war over this 'til the day pigs can fly.

I have a lot of sympathy for the Guards. I know a few of them and they are decent guys but they are the first to admit that they have a few who are utterly ignorant and wear their authority very badly.

As regards the senior officer who got into the wars with the Airport Poleice some time back, well I'm assured he has a 'reputation' that none of his fellow officers resent a fellow officer having because they know him and how he earned it and apparently it's not a pretty story. The same source also maintains that people of that awkward disposition are very moderate performers jobwise but they never miss an enrichment opportunity, ie claims, overtime, benefits.

Well trained, right thinking Guards know that the Airport police do a very important job and apparently have no difficulty in relating to them when necessary but there are twits on either side, big on the tongue lashing and
    and slow on the cop on who flaunt their 'powers' and succeed only in making life difficult for their co-workers.

:eek:

Lot of personal negative for The Flutt on this one.

Look the Joeys generally not a bad bunch, they are not Mules.

The mules run their operation at Dublin Airport, let me tell ya......

I was coming from a long haul flight from the US west coast and back in the day and she overflew Shannon due to crosswinds or something else.

Anyway dropped into Dublin anout 90mins early to be assailed by the aroma of frying rashers and black pud and the sound of a TV tooned into Sky.

Not a frikken mule in sight to process about 250 passengers thru Immigration.:eek:

Eventually an airline punter batthered the door and I swear to God, this mule appeared in a fcuking dressing gown!!!

fcuker took 10 minutes to 'compose and had to process over two hundred passengers by himself!!!

Shower of gikkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

you can take the the neg, the dont call ye mules for nothing :)

hondasam wrote: »
    you can take the the neg, the dont call ye mules for nothing :)

Read that 3 or 4 times pal, still duddn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

sorry but your post was so funny im still laughing so id say you can take negative comments and I think some people might have over reacted a little.

• Advertisement
Advertisement