Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai v. the Joeys (Dublin Airport Police)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

To be fair to Alpha Papa and his crowd, our airport isn't a lawless one at all. No Roma beggars, pick pockets, dodgy busses/taxis operating etc.

Alpha Papa has said it himself, there are some arsehole working within the ranks, but that's how it goes in every career. Having said all this lovely stuff, I hate it when the ****ers move me on from departures at night, when there's no cars around!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

i was in a pub with a "joey" one night. i kept asking him if he could get me a job as a security guard in the airport,whats it like being a security guard in the airport, are they well paid for security guards etc......every time he answerd was im not a security guard im airport police....i pissed him right off. they defo like to think they're some sort of elite police force...tossers.
    i also worked in the airport doing plumbing jobs and "joeys" are the ultimate example of "give a prick a uniform" type little stalins. tossers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Where was that?

Lusk?;)

The Joeys can be proper pricks if they feel in command.

Just tell them to 'fcuk off' and do what you like is the only way to sort them out.

The airline workers hate them as well, always swaggering up and disrupting operations.

Looking for IDs from gimps they work with for 20 years.

Shower of power mad gimps.:mad:

tossers

lusk???

As in north county Dublin.

Lusk Rush......

wake up man.

lusk, the jewel in fingals crown;) but how'd you know? there's plenty of roundtowers about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    How about they do the same as the majority of other people who get hassled and treated unfairly at the hands of guards and grin and bear it..

AAAH Chip......on............shoulder!

The Huntsman out near Gormanstown, that's your local innit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

LOts of gimps talking here. Should all stand back and stop being so silly. Especially the Flutter or whatever. Not making any sense, could be funnier!

no,im a 'murrays'of lusk man. best pub in fingal, or the 'top shop' a close second.

no,im a 'murrays'of lusk man. best pub in fingal, or the 'top shop' a close second.

Knew that pal,small piece of deduction, most of the Joeys live in the Dublin airport catchment area, so no big deal to work out where you were referring to.

The flutter is no dummy, you should know that by now;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Gardaí may sue over arrests
    Ali Bracken
    A GARDA superintendent and a former garda were arrested and handcuffed at Dublin airport within three days of each other by airport police following minor traffic incidents and are now considering taking legal action about how they were treated.

On 27 August, an off-duty superintendent was asked to move his car in the airport's multi-storey carpark. A verbal altercation ensued and the garda, who refused to identify himself, was arrested and handcuffed by airport police for failing to adhere to by-laws within the airport.

He was then "frog-marched" through the airport and handed over to local gardaí, who have a station within the airport. He was released without charge shortly after this.

Three days later, a retired garda failed to stop at a pedestrian walkway at the departures road at the airport.

The airport policeman attempted to stop the former garda crossing the road because of traffic but he "darted out" regardless.

Ahem *clears throat*

YOU'RE FIIIIIREED!!!

Knew that pal,small piece of deduction, most of the Joeys live in the Dublin airport catchment area, so no big deal to work out where you were referring to.

The flutter is no dummy, you should know that by now;)

you shuold join the "joeys" they need men like you!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭awesom_o

Haha, the airport police.
    "THIS IS THE AIRPORT POLICE! UNATTENDED BAGS WILL BE REMOVED AND MAYBE DESTROYED"

In other words... "maybe destroyed if we're bothered like"

• Advertisement

destroyed first..them fools would be only itching to use their ray guns on some poor girls bag of knickers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Alpha Papa wrote: »

You ever think that maybe there's reason for the police setting up VCP's or checking baggage trolleys to see if they are safely secured.. ever think that airlines some times in there haste dont secure baggage cause there in hurry to get a aircraft turn around on time and get last bag on?

The result is luggage or containers falls off and can cause hazards to both Aircraft and persons.. There has been serious injury caused when luggage containers have fallen off trailers colliding with persons or vehicles.. cause of this can also be down to vehicles driving to fast or dangerously?

Thats why the AP are there to enforce byelaws and airside safety regs.

Speed limits are very low and are only partially enforced airside from what I can see, again, useful reason to pull someone in.
    Any checks Ive seen on the luggage trucks have been just picky crap and in no way related to bagage. I have seen many bags fall off the cart but I fail to see how they can endanger aircraft tbh.
    ONe day I saw an airside car crash. Nowhere near passengers or planes. God they had a field day. Withdrew airside passes for a week etc. total dicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭aurelius79

Funny story. Some Gardaí in this country think they can do whatever they like and get away with it and they usually do.

Oh, and I'd much rather be called a joey than a filthy prick. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 qw12

as a member of the airport police, can i just say a few things.firstly to the best of my knowledge one guard was retired and the other one was not on duty,so am i missing something or are they just ordinary citizens then.i myself never had a problem with ags parking as long as they had the coursety to inform me.when we are on duty on the roads ,we have a job to do and belive me it is hard enough just dealing with the public.we are also being watched by senior officers and have to account for all cars at any given time.so i guess what i am saying is don't judge the whole of the airport police by the actions of 1 or 2 officers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

qw12 wrote: »
    as a member of the airport police, can i just say a few things.firstly to the best of my knowledge one guard was retired and the other one was not on duty,so am i missing something or are they just ordinary citizens then.i myself never had a problem with ags parking as long as they had the coursety to inform me.when we are on duty on the roads ,we have a job to do and belive me it is hard enough just dealing with the public.we are also being watched by senior officers and have to account for all cars at any given time.so i guess what i am saying is don't judge the whole of the airport police by the actions of 1 or 2 officers

So are you saying AGS can park in a 'set down only' spot just because they are members whether they are on duty or not or do their cars enter some other dimension where they don't cause congestion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 qw12

no not all ,sorry for been confusing what i am saying is members of an ags on duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

A Joey had a good yell at me earlier today as I was collected from the Departures gate by a mate. Something about only being allowed to drop people off and not collect people. I just ignored him, as I reckoned he didn't have any real power. Just reading this thread now, only to find out that he could have arrested me. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Alpha Papa

And coming next month on the spot fines are going live for them...

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

cianl1 wrote: »
    Seriously, fair fucks to the airport lads. Try and teach these gits some humility.
    Well, just wait until we the taxpayers have to cough up in the not too distant future for some stellar legal-payouts in the civil courts over illegal detention by the Airport Police.

explain illegal dentention please?

explain illegal dentention please?

Illegal dentention? Dodgy dental-work.

On the other hand, their powers of arrest and detention are granted only by Airport Bye-Laws. I don't want to put down the excellent work I'm sure they do, but in real terms they are about as entitled to detain someone as much as a Park Ranger would be able to arrest someone in the Phoenix Park.

Illegal dentention? Dodgy dental-work.

On the other hand, their powers of arrest and detention are granted only by Airport Bye-Laws. I don't want to put down the excellent work I'm sure they do, but in real terms they are about as entitled to detain someone as much as a Park Ranger would be able to arrest someone in the Phoenix Park.

sorry about the spelling tired after work ;)

Just to clear up there unwarranted powers of detention has nothing to do with the Airport Byelaws 1994 unlike the Park Rangers, the Airport Police operate under the same legislation as the Gardai in reference to Aviation (not in general :)).

There core legislation is section 33 of the Air Navigation and Transport Act 1988 which allows them to enforce the above byelaws.

Please see below for S.I/Legislation that covers there power of detentions.

Authorised Officers = Members of Airport Police & Gardai

Below ANTA 1988 section 33

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1988/en/act/pub/0015/sec0033.html
    33.—(1) An authorised officer, in the interest of the proper operation, or the security or safety, of an aerodrome, or the security or safety of persons, aircraft or other property thereon, may do all or any of the following things—
    [GA]
    ( a ) stop, detain for such time as is reasonably necessary for the exercise of any of his powers under this section, and search any person or vehicle on an aerodrome;

There are also several other Aviation & Airport statute dating back to 1936 they operate under aswell as arrestable offences (S.4 CLA 1997) and common law powers.

So in conclusion there is nothing illegal about the detention of any person once they have committed an arrestable offence under the relevant act the Airport Police operate under.

Airport Police operate the same procedures for detention as being arrested by Gardai or customs etc..

I dont know if you knew they had the above powers, below is a extract from a report from Department of Foreign Affairs for the EU on powers of detention in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Good point, but there's a big legal difference between 'stop, detain' and ultimately 'arrest'.

Seeing as how any wigged-wonder can take your average RTA Section 49 charge apart, I've no doubt they'd make mince-meat of an arrest carried out under the aegis of the ANAT Act.

As any Mule will tell you any case is open to being torn open really..

But there power are there and have been used alot since 1988 and acts there after, it has led to alot of successful prosecutions (Gardai bring the charge through the DPP not AP)

Again the below attached image or read the full legislation in linked provided earlier. Nothing illegal there its in legislation issued by Goverment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

But I still can't figure out if the Airport Police are a police force or are they a private security company. Which is it ?
    Maybe they will be joined up with the Guards somehow in the future ?

If a young fella or girl joins the airport Police then does that person actually have a secure job for the future ? Fella with a morgage might want to know that.

Some of the responses on here are very juvenile though and look like school yard bullying by the Guards....we've got this power....na-na-na-naw-na etc !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Crazy, the DAP guys were just following procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tosull97

still looking for an answer on this...
    Alpha Papa, you may be able to help. is the legislation allowing the fines on the spot to go live the same as the legislation that is supposed to be bringing batons and spray. What amendment or legislation is allowing the fines on the spot to go live. i thought it was in the 2008 act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

No sympathy for thebigbiffo from me though. You were on a stag. it was 1230am. You threw a bag on top of the canopy. If you were sober then my name is "Mud". It being a stag is no excuse for acting the d*ck.

People, you can do one thing, and one thing alone with your bags at an airport. Keep it in arms reach. Them's the rules, just like the charter on boards. If you leave it anywhere else, security is supposed to treat it as if there's something wrong with the bag. Possibly explosively wrong. If you're lucky, the security guy you deal with will be nice enough to deal with it as best he can. But if you act like a drunken sh*t, you'll be treated like a drunken sh*t.

right. i'm a drunken dickhead for throwing a bag on a taxi shelter outside the airport while at my own admission being slightly drunk but not pissed and certainly not abusive...

A far better prank thebigbiffo, (heard this happen in UK) is to put a toy gun deep down in stag's check-in luggage, then pile a load of s&m gear & gay men's mags on top of it. When the light goes off, and the bag is pulled over for search, the joeys have to wade through all that to get the toy gun (they'll confiscate it, but I'm sure it'll be worth it for the look on stag & everyone's faces!)

Oh, and the stag has to be there to see them search the bag. Thems the rules.

a much better course of action and one that makes me less of a dickhead is to put a fake gun in a friends luggage thereby not only risking the stag missing his flight but also causing major disruption to other people waiting to pass through security, causing a potential lock down (however temporary) of the entire area, wasting police time as they respond to the 'emergency' and putting yourself on an intelliegence list as someone who had potentially tested or 'dry runned' the security system of said airport...

yeah, you're a real hoot compared to my over the top airport antics :rolleyes:

I LOLed.

I did say -toy- gun. As in something gun-shaped, but plastic.

Chill biffo, your prank was dumb, you got the bag back, you flipped the bird at the joeys, everyone got on with their lives. 's no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

I LOLed.

I did say -toy- gun. As in something gun-shaped, but plastic.

Chill biffo, your prank was dumb, you got the bag back, you flipped the bird at the joeys, everyone got on with their lives. 's no problem.

yeah - i know the details,

i'm trying to point out that comparing me to a (or calling me a...i'm not sure) 'dick' and a 'drunken sh*t' and generally being condesending and patronising does not go well with your second paragraph where you outline one of the most juvenile and dangerous and pranks you can possibly pull at an airport...

i thought it deserved a response anyway

edit: it doesn't matter whether the 'gun' is made out of deep friend dog**** - you put a 'gun shaped' implement in your luggage and you'll be lucky if you dont end with some chick called bertha ramming an unlubed finger up yer friends hole while the plane takes off without him

Abraham wrote: »
    But I still can't figure out if the Airport Police are a police force or are they a private security company. Which is it ?
    Maybe they will be joined up with the Guards somehow in the future ?

If a young fella or girl joins the airport Police then does that person actually have a secure job for the future ? Fella with a morgage might want to know that.

Some of the responses on here are very juvenile though and look like school yard bullying by the Guards....we've got this power....na-na-na-naw-na etc !

Its a steady a Job as any good semi state one. Yes the Airport Police is a police service in its own right same as Harbour Police and/or military police etc.. The Airport Police traces its existence back to 1936 when the first of the state airports opened up.

Abraham they are not a private security company otherwise they would be licensed under by the PSA and if you read that PSA Act 2004 you'll see it specifically excludes Authorised Officers (Airport Police) from its reign.

They certainly work within the area of Aviation Security same as the met police do in UK with certain exceptions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp52beS3i_o

I have covered all this previously on job descriptions in other threads on boards and pay is in line with Gardai but over longer scale. But unless your working in the DAA this information is'nt of much use to to you as the recruitment is currently internal.

In my opinion its one of the best jobs in the DAA group your offered huge amount variety, good promotional opportunities with the APS, courses with other police services abroad and at home with the AGS and much more etc...

• Advertisement

Its a steady a Job as any good semi state one. Yes the Airport Police is a police service in its own right same as Harbour Police and/or military police etc.. The Airport Police traces its existence back to 1936 when the first of the state airports opened up.

Abraham they are not a private security company otherwise they would be licensed under by the PSA and if you read that PSA Act 2004 you'll see it specifically excludes Authorised Officers (Airport Police) from its reign.

They certainly work within the area of Aviation Security same as the met police do in UK with certain exceptions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp52beS3i_o

I have covered all this previously on job descriptions in other threads on boards and pay is in line with Gardai but over longer scale. But unless your working in the DAA this information is'nt of much use to to you as the recruitment is currently internal.

In my opinion its one of the best jobs in the DAA group your offered huge amount variety, good promotional opportunities with the APS, courses with other police services abroad and at home with the AGS and much more etc...

Thanks AP for a helpful response. That helps me to understand a lot more about the Service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dd89

None of this is meant to critisise or demean airport police or security or gardai etc. I worked in Dublin Airport for a few years and am now working in a UK airport.

I disagree with you Alpha Papa. I have read all the air navigation acts etc and nowhere are ap mentioned in relation to the giving of powers under these acts.The powers are given to Authorised Officers. Nowhere could i find the words Airport Police in these sections. Somewhere along the line the name airport police was taken. The fisheries officers have powers in law same as you but you do not find them saying they are police. They are Fisheries Officers. There should be a standard name for people given powers as authorised officers under these acts to prevent confusion. Ap should be called 'Airport Officers'.

By changing the name it would prevent confusion with people thinking ap are Gardai.

The airport police are a private body hired by DAA. The powers come from the air navigation acts. The Gardai are hired by the state, and are controlled by the Dept. of Justice and not the Dept. of Environment, who DAA are answerable to. What happens if DAA continues to lose money? They will cut back on ap same as every other section.

If an ap arrests somebody they have to hand this person to the Gardai. The Garda decides if there is enough grounds for him to arrest or detain this person. I have witnessed occasions when the Gardai refused to take somebody into custody from the ap. The ap do not have grounds of detention other than handing the person to Gardai. They cannot detain for criminal investigation etc.

In recent legislation (e.g. preclearance act 2010?) the 'Irish law enforcement agencys' are defined as the Gardai and Customs. Also the Air accident investigation unit guidelines outlines the role for Gardai. There is no mention of airport police. Also Regulation (EC) 300/2008 states that one single authority should have overall co-ordination of security at airports. This could well be aimed at Ireland as it is probably the only country in the EU with such a crazy situation. The one single authority has to be the Gardai ( for reasons of intelligence, arms, real experience in policing critical situations). The ap have been refused batons and pepper spray so the people in government must be coming to this conclusion too.

BAA were in a similar situation in 1974 when they had their own 'police' force (though these were sworn home office officers) and the met police took over the policing of the uk airports. In 1974 Heathrow had the same passenger through put as Dublin has now.

None of this is meant to demean the airport police. They do a good and necessary job. My point is that they are not a 'police' force and should have their name changed to 'Airport Officers' to standardise persons who are given powers as 'authorised officers' under different acts. I have read posts from oneor two airport police who have stated something similar.

dd89 wrote: »
    ....utilise maybe the Eru or Rsu at times for a visible deterrent.

That last bit I don't agree with. The vast majority of Irish people are not used to seeing Gardai armed. Soldiers on bank runs yes, but not Gardai. There may come a time when it becomes neccessary, but (hopefully) that won't be for another generation at least. Seeing armed patrols at the airport would worry passengers unnecessarily.

dd89 wrote: »
    None of this is meant to critisise or demean airport police or security or gardai etc. I worked in Dublin Airport for a few years and am now working in a UK airport.

I disagree with you Alpha Papa. I have read all the air navigation acts etc and nowhere are ap mentioned in relation to the giving of powers under these acts.The powers are given to Authorised Officers. Nowhere could i find the words Airport Police in these sections. Somewhere along the line the name airport police was taken. The fisheries officers have powers in law same as you but you do not find them saying they are police. They are Fisheries Officers. There should be a standard name for people given powers as authorised officers under these acts to prevent confusion. Ap should be called 'Airport Officers'.

By changing the name it would prevent confusion with people thinking ap are Gardai.

The security of our airports is too important to have this confusion.

The airport police are a private body hired by DAA. The powers come from the air navigation acts. The Gardai are hired by the state, and are controlled by the Dept. of Justice and not the Dept. of Environment, as the ap are. What happens if DAA continues to lose money? They will cut back on ap same as every other section. How can airport security be left to a private company.

If an ap arrests somebody they have to hand this person to the Gardai. The Garda decides if there is enough grounds for him to arrest or detain this person. I have witnessed occasions when the Gardai refused to take somebody into custody from the ap. The ap do not have grounds of detention other than handing the person to Gardai. They cannot detain for criminal investigation etc.

In recent legislation (e.g. preclearance act 2010?) the 'Irish law enforcement agencys' are defined as the Gardai and Customs. Also the Air accident investigation unit guidelines outlines the role for Gardai. There is no mention of airport police. Also Regulation (EC) 300/2008 states that one single authority should have overall co-ordination of security at airports. This could well be aimed at Ireland as it is probably the only country in the EU with such a crazy situation. The one single authority has to be the Gardai ( for reasons of intelligence, arms, real experience in policing critical situations). The ap have been refused batons and pepper spray so the people in government must be coming to this conclusion too.

BAA were in a similar situation in 1974 when they had their own 'police' force (though these were sworn home office officers) and the met police took over the policing of the uk airports. In 1974 Heathrow had the same passenger through put as Dublin has now.

A number of my colleagues are absolutely amazed that with the current threats to aircraft and airport safety that a private company are stating that they are the police for the airports.

None of this is meant to demean the airport police. They do a good and necessary job. My point is that they are not a 'police' force and should have their name changed to 'Airport Officers' to standardise persons who are given powers as 'authorised officers' under different acts. I have read posts from oneor two airport police who have stated something similar. The Gardai should step up their patrols in the airport and utilise maybe the Eru or Rsu at times for a visible deterrent.

Very good response,well researched and referenced, well some of it was anyways. by any chance are you former member metman? similar stuff has come from him before. I appreciate your comments and input though.

First of all you have misquoted me or maybe misread my post. The Airport Police is as you said part of DAA Group. Authorised Officers are members of the Airport Police that there affiliation.

The important part being that members are Authorised Officers for the Minister or since the 1998 act granted by the company.

The DAA is fully state owned and comes under the direct control and auspice of the Department of Transport not Enviroment as you said. Members are not private hired by the DAA. They are full employee of the DAA.

Batons and spray are on the way and have not been refused. Batons are offensive weapon under law but not so if you have a lawful reason/excuse and guess what they AP do same as how the Harbour Police have them, Pepper spray is covered under the firearms act and covered under a firearms license, anyways wait and see.
    National Civil Aviation Security Committee (NCASC) The purpose of the NCASC is to advise the Government and the civil aviation industry of security policy for civil aviation, to recommend and review the effectiveness of security measures and to provide for co-ordination of the various interests involved
    The Committee comprises representatives of Government Departments, airports, airlines, the Garda Siochana, the Defence Forces, An Post, Customs, Irish Aviation Authority, and IALPA (the Irish Airline Pilots Association).
    http://www.transport.ie/aviation/AviationServices/aviationsecurity/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=2402

The NSCAC has responsibility for reporting on this issue. If they are unhappy with the APS then maybe would'nt they have advised the Minister/Goverment of this.

But guess what, they have instead ask for increased powers for APS.
    Yes, this is correct the Airport Police received the power under section 27 of State Airport Act 2004 to issue Fixed Penalty Notices for any offence under the Airport Byelaws of 1994 (Traffic,Parking,Public Order or safety issues etc..)

Also from the same Act for the first time they will now have power to issue a Fixed Penalty Notice to a person/s that have cause a breach of the peace/disturbance in flight (once the aircraft doors are closed) or failed to comply with a direction of cabin crew.

Before this it was always the State National Police (Gardai) that had to deal with this but now the State Airport Police powers have been increased in this areas taken on it alongside the Gardai.

No Gardai will not be taking over policing this complexe its actually the opposite. The Department of Transport and DAA are quite happy to have Airport Police Service continue provide law enforcement services and as you have read above they have received increased powers and also huge investment in equipment/training and infrastructure to this end now more then ever there there will be less Garda involvement believe it or not!

By Airport Police i mean members of it i.e Authorised Officers to avoid any confusion. These new measure above will now lessen the need for the Gardai to be called for some incidents and can be handled more effectively by AP. This touches on your issue with detention and custody and Gardai being unhappy to proceed with charges etc... It also free up Gardai from attending incidents that can now be better managed by the APS by issuing a penalty notice and removing the offender then simply arresting them and handing them over to the Gardai to deal with. This also allows Gardai to focus on more important issues in there own district.

A person can be detained by Airport Police also without being arrested to establish bio graphical information (this is part of investigation for establishment of lawful purpose on airport) and for enforcement of bye laws etc.. They may not be massive investigations but they have own part to play in policing the airports.

In regards to AAIU, check over any amount of reports and you will just there involvement is. The Gardai the national police have the role of investigating these incidents not the AP nothing new there same as any serious incident. The Airport Police provide the state airport with a Aviation Law Enforcement service and everything that come with it.

The Gardai are already, over strected and under manned and funded as it stands. The country is rife with crimes and gangsters. Serious crime that the Gardai are trying to fight with little resources and public support.

I take my hat off to them every day for the great work they do, My opinion is there little interest in the AGS Management taking over the Policing of airports.

All any one has to do is look at GNIB (Garda Immigration) in the airport and how they manage immigration in Dublin Airport. They can barely open enough boots to manage small amount of flights arriving and cant properly even give the time to inspect passports fully due there there lack of numbers and overtime ban.

what the AGS management response? any guesses?

Do nothing.. no replacements in over two years or anything.

If the Gardai arent taking immigration seriously in the airports and they control that? (This is not a jibe at the Garda Officers snd there dedication but at AGS management) and there was serious talk last year of making immigration a civil servant role like the UK, then why would the DAA/DOT considering handing it over the Gardai to manage? I think its a fair point being honest.

within the UK you still private police patrolling airports (except they carry guns wink.gif) that is in Belfast International you have the Belfast International Airport Constabulary with officers being under the employ of the Airport Authroity with similar power to member of the PSNI but within the a limited jurisdiction.

Airport Police trace it origins back to 1936 it has grown and so has it members and the service it provides. The minister has stated many time at how happy he is with the work the Police provide. I can understand your point with confusion of Authoirised Officers and the term POLICE.

But that your personal opinion, which your entitled too. The powers that be dont see a problem with it.

Just to confirm the below
    Also Regulation (EC) 300/2008 states that one single authority should have overall co-ordination of security at airports.

In Ireland this is the Department Of Transport

am not in the Met or was i ever a policeman or garda.

I still stand by what i said. The ap should be called 'Airport Officers' like the Fisheries Officers. The ap should continue their current role except for giving tickets which may result in criminal convictions. This will lead to all sorts of problems in court. It will take away any confusion.

Belfast airport police are sworn home office constables (or the northern version of it), much like the transport police in the uk. The situation is very different in the north which would account for armed officers there.

There is no other airport in europe that has the crazy situation that Dublin has with regards to security. I know. I am working in airports all my life and attend meetings in nearly every major airport in europe.

I am not giving out about ap but the name should be changed and the Garda more visibly involved in the policing of the airports.

Fair enough Horse your entitled to your opinion and nothing wrong there.

The fines that will be issued and currently under Airport Byelaws 1994 has always carried a criminal convictions and possible prison time and/or fine on successful conviction.

A prosecution under the byelaw's can be brought via the District court solely by the Airport Police/DAA either through the petty sessions act or through the Gardai as it stands. No major change there really. Airport Police already attend court frequently in prosecutions or the like. They are considered professional witnesses by the state in the same regard as non AGS forensic staff etc..

The Belfast International Airport Constabulary is a small, specialised police force responsible for policing Belfast International Airport, Northern Ireland.
    Officers of this force have limited jurisdiction on airport authority property and are sworn as constables under article 19(3) of the Airport (Northern Ireland) Order 1994.
    Any serious incidents or major investigations become the responsibiltity of the local territorial police force, the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI).

There actually quite similar to Airport Police here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

I have to say anytime i pass through the airport and see them I dont consider them police just security gaurds, maybe its a role that the garda reserve could fill and give them the air navigation powers etc and a bit of experience

• Advertisement

Reading all these accounts of the ins and outs of policing at Dublin Airport, it's a wonder that there wasn't an attempt to sort out the whole business of ultimate responsibility long ago. Seems a bit confusing by some of the explanations offered here and all of which are apparently trying to explain their own views on things. Maybe it's high time to have somebody examine all the issues and to make suggestions, etc. Now I'm not suggesting a Tribunal or anything big and convoluted like that, just a smallish group chaired by a judge or a lawyer or maybe even an ex Army Officer who could look at all that's involved and provide recommendations. I wonder would that approach have any merit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Bosco boy wrote: »
    security gaurds

Again?
    Maybe everyone should wear Id, judges, barristors, priests, Esb men, doctors, gaurds, milkmen, prostitutes etc - would that make you feel better?

Man your some example of An Garda Síochána you would think you could spell words that relate to your profession :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I have to say anytime i pass through the airport and see them I dont consider them police just security gaurds, maybe its a role that the garda reserve could fill and give them the air navigation powers etc and a bit of experience

Silly idea - Reserves are part time and vouluntary. To dedicate the security of the airport to people who aren't being paid and doing the job on their own time would be stupid at best.

Gardaí - whether reserve or otherwise - maintain full jurisdiction in the airport and supercede the APS in every event. They are not particuarly better equipped for the job though because they don't have the same level of working knowledge within the airport as the APS do.

The airport is a big place, it's a total maze (and it just doubled in size, remember). There were places I didn't know about after 8 months of a summer contract while I worked there and the AP guys know it all back to front as they are recruited with an on-the job knowledge of the airport already as they almost always come from the airport search unit (ASU). My only gripe about airport security in the country's three main airports at present is that any nessecary armed response is miles away - GNIB in Pier D have a small number of detectives who MAY carry arms but this doesn't nessecarily mean they DO. A nice small RSU team based in and patrolling the airport (discreetly, sidearms only not carrying MP7's in full view like the UK) would set my mind at ease lest something untoward happen.

Small squads work better than big organisations, fact.

The US Customs and Border Protection (USCBP) guys have the right idea - they patrol, secure etc in the airports and anyone is detained or arrested they eventually get handed over to the local force. They specialise.

I think some of the Mules are jealous of the OT the Joeys get.

Some of them are on 90k ....

:eek::eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Great money for a security gaurd!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement