Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor Quality Corner Kicks

• 26-09-2009 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

It's one of the most common things seen at the highest level and surely there's no excuse for professional footballers on 25k ++++ a week not beating the first man on a regular basis? It's an extremely frustrating thing to have to watch happen sometimes 6 or 7 times a game. I know for a fact that I'd be criticised on the sideline if I did that on a Sunday morning in the DDSL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

I'm always saying this when watching games, it actually annoys me to see it happening regularly, its not as if they are always playing to the front post and are just missing their man, sometimes the ball barely leaves the ground. If I was manager the players would know about it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

My pet hate is short corners than dont produce a cross, dammit they obviously work on this in training :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Professional footballers should be able to kick a ball with both feet and do simple things like get a good cross on a dead ball. They are really basic things I'd expect anyone that plays any sort of decent level of football tbh.

On the corners front, Stephen Gerrard I'm looking at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Stekelly wrote: »

Yeah, this has been an obvious one for years.. I don't know how rafa or even houllier before him didn't tell him to get the feck away from the corner flag when they win a corner... He very rarely beats the first man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Or the very worst thing: A corner that is swinging out, goes out and comes back in. Goal kick. It just p!sses me off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Could'nt agree with ye more. Not being able to get it past the first man is ridiculous, I used to take corners for my old club and didn't find it difficult to land it in the centre of the box.

Gerrard's corners are terrible usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Aiden McGeady springs to mind for me.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

At that level they're not trying to just get it into the box lads. They're trying to put the ball into an area of probably 2 foot sq. They could all stick it in the box blindfolded.

podge018 wrote: »
    At that level they're not trying to just get it into the box lads. They're trying to put the ball into an area of probably 2 foot sq. They could all stick it in the box blindfolded.

Is this area the 1st defenders head? If so damn fine corner kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think ye over simplify it.

If the corner taker really really wanted (at pain of death) to beat the first man and get the ball into the box then they could do it basically 100% of the time. Just get under the ball, almost a big toe, mission accomplished.
    However it wouldn't be a very good corner kick.... It would generally lack pace so it should be an easy catch for a competent keeper if it arrives in his vicinity, otherwise it'll be too far out to be a chance of a goalscoring header for a forward.

So what the taker is doing is trying for a 'perfect' corner. Hit with spin and too much pace for the goalkeeper to be able to take a few steps and get to.
    And which arrives at the 6 yard box at between 6 and 7 foot giving a reasonable chance of a forward scoring a header.

But the margin for error on this sort of kick is quite high, which is why a high percentage don't beat the first man. Admittedly it is very infuriating when you see your cornertaker not beating the first defender 5 or 6 times running, however proportionally more goals are scored precisely because his style risks this happening. The payoff on the 10% of corners he nails perfectly is worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Is this area the 1st defenders head? If so damn fine corner kicks.

No.

What armanijeanss said.

I think ye over simplify it.

If the corner taker really really wanted (at pain of death) to beat the first man and get the ball into the box then they could do it basically 100% of the time. Just get under the ball, almost a big toe, mission accomplished.
    However it wouldn't be a very good corner kick.... It would generally lack pace so it should be an easy catch for a competent keeper if it arrives in his vicinity, otherwise it'll be too far out to be a chance of a goalscoring header for a forward.

So what the taker is doing is trying for a 'perfect' corner. Hit with spin and too much pace for the goalkeeper to be able to take a few steps and get to.
    And which arrives at the 6 yard box at between 6 and 7 foot giving a reasonable chance of a forward scoring a header.

But the margin for error on this sort of kick is quite high, which is why a high percentage don't beat the first man. Admittedly it is very infuriating when you see your cornertaker not beating the first defender 5 or 6 times running, however proportionally more goals are scored precisely because his style risks this happening. The payoff on the 10% of corners he nails perfectly is worth it.

You dont aim for the forwards, its your centrebacks your aiming for to attack the ball. Which happens to be on the other side of the 1st defenders head.

Perfect corner is outswinging and the Centrebacks running from 18 yard/peno spot to meet it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

You dont aim for the forwards, its your centrebacks your aiming for to attack the ball.

When I said 'forwards' I meant it as any of your own side who are forward for the corner, whether thats Torres, Terry or Schmeichel.

I still stand by the rest, if you are aiming for what you've described as the 'perfect corner' then you should expect quite a high percentage to not clear the first defender. If you are always clearing the first defender then probably a high percentage of your corners are at a height of ~8foot+ at the time they pass the goal, which doesn't come in for as much criticism from the commentators but is also a poor corner.

Obviously some players are better at it than others, Beckham in fairness to him was able to nail a higher percentage of perfect corners than most players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Whatever about hitting the first man at head height, corners that are kicked away by the first man are inexcusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

mars bar wrote: »
    Aiden McGeady springs to mind for me.

:mad:
    Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

My pet hate is short corners than dont produce a cross, dammit they obviously work on this in training :mad:

We were shocking at this last season, drove me nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Stekelly wrote: »
    Professional footballers should be able to kick a ball with both feet and do simple things like get a good cross on a dead ball. They are really basic things I'd expect anyone that plays any sort of decent level of football tbh.

His name is Steven Gerrard. Armanijeans pretty much said exactly what I was going to say, you want the corner to just beat the first man with pace and bend/dip, which is why so many corners hit the first man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

My pet hate is short corners - period

I think a corner taken into the box are kind of a hoof-it gamble for goal - for e.g, the crowd always gets so excited in the final minutes when a team requiring a goal receive a corner, as in "ooh cool we're gonna score here..."

But I can't recall off the top of my head ANY short corner resulting in a goal... not that I have seen every minute of every game like some of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Ryan Giggs is and has been excellent for Manchester United year after year. A fantastic example of professionalism for younger players, aged well adapting his game and this season continues to shine, changing games.

But it still annoys me that he regularly overhits crosses, or hits average one's. The lad has been a professional footballer since he was 17? He's always been in the 1st 3 of the squad for corner taking, SO HOW DOES HE STILL HIT BAD CORNERS?! It's a dead ball, should be like a golfer's swing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Nani has to be the worst offender in the world for poorly taken corners :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

curry-muff wrote: »

I have got to say it is a two horse race with a photo finish between himself and McGeady...

Two players that really annoy me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

curry-muff wrote: »

have to say i thought his corners were sensational in his first season.

also, i would also say Gerrards corners have improved 10 fold this season (he should still not be taking them though, want him in & around the box)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    have to say i thought his corners were sensational in his first season.

Agreed. This season has been another story though!

Advertisement