Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They Failed My Thesis...

Options
  • 26-09-2009 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

I'm at the school of information and library science, master's degree program, and I'm trying to find information about what my options are. I am an international student, who is back home, but no one is telling me anything via email. No one is even telling me why...

If anyone has any ideas, or help, it would be great.

This sucks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

It's a little surprising you actually got to submit the thesis without being warned it wasn't satisfactory. In theory you should be allowed to resubmit the thesis and then get awarded the pass (if the new thesis is sufficiently improved). Did you not have a supervisor who can explain this more thoroughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Did your supervisor not give you any guidance/advice regarding your dissertation? And did you get any feedback on the reasons why your thesis failed? And if so, are they similar?

Try contact your supervisor and have a chat with them and see what advice they can give.

As mentioned by the previous poster, it's unusual for a thesis, if read and passed by your supervisor, to be failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

When I was doing my BSc and MSc degrees I was in more-or-less regular contact with my supervisors, they would have been reading draft copies and would have flagged any major problems early on.

Was this not the case with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BG2

Why/how didn't your supervisor warn you? After my supervisor read just one chapter she gave me an idea of what standard and grade it was.

Did they say what you failed it on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LC7

if you want to find out what your option are it might be no harm to contact the international students adviser, Carl Lusby is her name. She's nice, hopefully she'll be able to help you out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I thought the results for this were out in December? How come you have your result so early?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 IlikePostcards

Okay: Just for the record. I have no idea why they failed me. I will find that out tomorrow. Second, I got my result so early because I submitted in early September. Third: Carl Lusby... I will remember that, thank you very very much.

Now, on to the meat of the issue. My supervisor has since retired. I received little feedback from her throughout the summer about my thesis, and got no guidance during the writing period to what should be in the thing, how to write, etc... It appears that my options are to get a new advisor and do the corrections, whatever they are, and resubmit, for more money, of course. While my advisor had read some of my paper, nothing was mentioned in the emails as to "keep going" or "stop, this reads like failure."

I think I'm getting thrown under the bus here; not only was my one grader retiring (retired), my second grader and I had a professionally falling out during the last semester. The third reviewer gave me a going away present when I left Ireland... Gee I wonder who were the two that failed me... I'm not trying to use this as an excuse if there is something really wrong with the thesis, but Jesus, all the email stated was that I failed, and I had two options (grad dip or do the extra work.)

I'll let you guys know how tomorrow goes, and thank you for all the support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭kingofcastle

Shocking stuff...sorry to hear the bad news buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

Best of luck Buddie.

Advertisement