Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting an accountant for the first time - what do I need?

Options
  • 26-09-2009 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

My taxes are in a mess and I've been burying my head in the sand - now it is time to face the music. I'm hoping to make an appointment with an accountant to help sort all my various bits of paper out for my tax returns. So I thought I'd ask what I need to bring/prepare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

Well a good starting point is your PPS number. Then you will be asked to give details of your sources of income and more than likely a breakdown of your assets (house, car, cash etc) and liabilities (mortgage, loans etc). Then for the more specific things it will depend on a number of things but the primary question you need to ask yourself is where your income comes from...

are you self employed?
    are you a paye worker?
    do you own a rental property?
    do you have investment income from dividends or interest?

If you are self employed, your accountant will require all sales and purchases invoices, bank statements, chq books and lodgement books. You could get your medical expenses and bin charges together to reclaim tax

Accountant will need your P60 if you are a paye worker.

Details of rental income and any expenditure against the rental property including loan statements for a mortgage on the property.

Dividends and interest certificates if you have investment income.

Anyone else think of anything that one would need...?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

Thanks Legend100. I have no property so that solves that problem.

Plenty of stuff in there that I probably would probably have never even thought of (bin charges for example). I also see it is best to bring both bank statements and invoices - I wasn't too sure about that!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Your passport/driving licence and a utility bill for money laundry requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Cgm

First discussion with an accountant will usually be quite informal and he/she will then give you a details list of requirements to ensure that you are as tax efficient as possible. Aa records relating to your business will be relevant.

Advertisement