Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just out of interest

Options
  • 26-09-2009 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, i am curious of something and was wondering if you would help out. I started the thread below in the psychology forum about homosexuality and the possible link with cesarean section births.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055692451

I will understand if you do not want to give information out or anything but maybe thank the original post if you were born by c section and if you would be willing to share details can you let me know what sex you are

Also if you want to pm me please fire away, the details will go no further

Many thanks :)

Mods if this crosses any lines or anything just delete the thread thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I appreciate that you've come on here with a genuine question and you've asked it respectfully but that has to be the most ridiculous suggestion I've ever heard as to the source of homosexuality. Leaving aside the fact that homosexuality existed long before the C-section procedure was developed, what magical affect is passing through a vagina meant to bestow upon the baby?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Boston wrote: »
    Leaving aside the fact that homosexuality existed long before the C-section procedure was developed

Which it obviously did, thus negating the hypothesis.
    what magical affect is passing through a vagina meant to bestow upon the baby?

Straightness?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

I've definitely heard & read stuff before to the effect that various factors about your mother's pregnancy and your birth correllate with homosexuality, such as being the youngest child or being born prematurely. Something to do with hormone levels in the womb changing? Or some such? I'm pilled off my face on Benilyn right now and thus don't care enough to Google it on behalf of the OP, but I guess being born by c-section could be an indicator of a difficult birth, which would have the same effect in hormonal terms as being premature...? I dunno. I doubt the magical power of the vagina is at play, but the magical power of the uterus might be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I wasn't a C-section, am not the youngest, wasn't premature.

I do however have the long ring finger (fnarr) which is supposed to be connected to some hormonal thing in utero for children born lesbian.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

spurious wrote: »

I do however have the long ring finger (fnarr) which is supposed to be connected to some hormonal thing in utero for children born lesbian.

Ditto, all of the above...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

spurious wrote: »

Ditto, all of the above...

Me three.

Seriously? C-Section births = moar gayz? Have you really thought about what you're suggesting? I find it super hard to believe that any lecturer (educated person) would ever propose that kind of hypothesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

i think he may be referring to time spent in the womb and exposure to certain hormones (as mentioned previously) im no doctor and don't plan on being one but perhaps this has merit?

That said my brother was born via a c-section and a month premature and he is very straight.
    whereas i was born on time and naturally, yet i'm gay. :confused::eek:
    also im the eldest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I'm the youngest, 2 elder brothers (3 male embryos in the womb before me, one was a miscarriage :|), and was born by c-section (and am gay).

I don't think there's any link with c-sections, but I can at least think of a maybe plausible explanation for the theory about being the younger of more males increasing the likelihood of homosexuality i.e. as nature or evolution's way of limiting population growth in a group and overheating competition for resources. Though I dunno if that explains female homosexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,703 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Youngest of 3 boys, 2 weeks premature, normal delivery.

Never heard about the c-section thing before, but the birth order one has been bandied about for years, and amongst my friends, has some possibly co-incidental basis in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Ok i am gonna go ahead and state this again ( i had said this on the other thread but edited it)

I NEVER said it was my viewpoint, that i agreed with it or anything of the sort so (somewhat) attacking me is warrantless i am just curious and honestly would not have asked here had it not been for sitstill's post on the psychology thread

I also did not say that this was the source of homosexuality, maybe the original author of the study did but all i was asking was about the possible link between the two thats all

If people are honestly annoyed or offended by this then please say so and the mods can lock and delete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

BanzaiBk wrote:
    Seriously? C-Section births = moar gayz? Have you really thought about what you're suggesting? I find it super hard to believe that any lecturer (educated person) would ever propose that kind of hypothesis.

Yet "long ring fingers = sign of lesbianism" is somehow less implausible? I've seen enough swill published in academic journals to believe that someone may have attempted to show a link between c-section births and homosexuality - again, not that they'd necessarily imply that the c-section itself caused Teh Gay to spring forth from nowhere, but that a birth that required a c-section may, much as with premature babies, have involved complications that did something something hormonal medical mumbo jumbo. (Can you tell this isn't my area of expertise?)

And I fit with the youngest child thing (one older brother) and was 2 weeks premature. Much like MYOB, whenever I've heard this brought up in gay company the number of youngest-born kids seems unusually high. Not that anecdotes = scientific evidence, but I don't think it's crazy enough as a theory to dismiss out of hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Don't be so melodramatic, no one is having a go at you. Some of us think its a foolish notion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

shay_562 wrote: »
    Yet "long ring fingers = sign of lesbianism" is somehow less implausible?

Never said it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Boston wrote: »
    Don't be so melodramatic, no one is having a go at you. Some of us think its a foolish notion though.

Was not being melodramatic thats why i said somewhat, it just seems because i posted it that people took it to be my own personal opinion thats all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Masquerade

I was born by C-section, not premature afaik, & I'm the youngest of 3 boys.
    I think it'd be really interesting to see if c-sections affect the chances of a person being gay or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Just because, I did a quick search on the online psychological databases Trinity has access to and didn't turn up a single book or article linking homosexuality and C-sections (or anything relating to birth other than the birth order of siblings). So, that may suggest something to you...

For the record, I'm gay and was not a C-section birth (forceps though), and my younger brother (who is 12, so I have no idea of his eventual orientation) was a C-section.

What is it that gave you the idea these might be linked? Hormones in the womb, certainly. Birth order, for sure. But the manner of birth itself? Where did that some from?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

*boggle*
    Who comes up with this stuff!?

No there was nothing weird or wonderful about my birth. Everything went by the book. I have a cousin, eldest in his family who is gay. My flatmate, middle child, gay as is his eldest brother. (all boys in the family).

Possible genetic factor, yes I'd imagine so. Because of the way we were born, eh... no ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

GAAman wrote: »
    Was not being melodramatic thats why i said somewhat, it just seems because i posted it that people took it to be my own personal opinion thats all

Ah it was a bit melodramatic to be fair....

natural birth here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Youngest of two, one older brother. Nice normal birth, born a couple of days late. And my index finger is longer than my ring finger so nothing there either.

Advertisement