Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are dogs more accepted/liked than cats?

• 26-09-2009 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I'm asking this here because it's a general question not just for people with pets.

I was going to ask it in pet and animal issues but today I have noticed something that makes me think they are.

A few months ago I remember a thread being started in AH about naming a dog/puppy. A while later I got a cat and started a thread in AH about naming her (I was really looking for funny names/comments) this thread ended up getting closed and then moved. Now there is a new thread about a naming a dog. Also in these threads I noticed my one got a bit horrible, ranging from people saying the cat had aids to giving a link with what I think was a run over cat(I was smart enough not to click), that is probably why the thread got moved.

I'm not arguing with the mods modding. I think it's more not pet owners accepting/tolerating/liking dogs over cats, even in the supermarket there's always loads of stuff for dogs and barely anything for cats (even less for other animals but for some reason one of the ones near me has loads of stuff for budgies)

For the record I love both and I got a cat because I couldn't keep a dog where I'm living.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Dogs are cool. They're loyal, do tricks and are funny.

Cats are replacement children for elderly ladies.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I prefer cats, dogs are so needy

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Well, it's simple.

Dogs look up to you - they are delighted to see you!
    Cats never trust me - ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 nams

Yeah I see this all the time. If someone hits a dog on the street with their car, they will take it to the vets. If they hit a cat, they just leave it there.

Personally, I prefer cats over dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Yeah, because cats are smug, unlikeable bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Yes, dogs are preferable for a lot of people.

Not me.

Cats are great animals. Intelligent and independent.

Dogs have no honour.
    Attacking people when they show fear - yeah, real brave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think people like dogs more because dogs are more dependant and can be trained. Cats kinda just hang about because you feed them.
    There is also an aspect of having control over an animal, particularly an animal that can cause harm if it attacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Dogs are taken more seriously than cats. Dunno about being 'more accepted'. You never hear complaints or worries about a random cat wandering around the place, but people would be concerned over a 'stray' dog. Cats often have several homes, nipping in and out of each for an extra bit of grub and what not, whereas dogs are a lot more restricted. If a dog bites someone it may be put down, whereas cats attack anyone whenever they feel like it and it's no big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Dogs have no honour.
    Attacking people when they show fear - yeah, real brave.

protecting their owners regardless of what happens to themselves.
    that's brave.

Dogs are brilliant.
    cats just use you, people who keep cats just want to say they have a pet(but aren't capable of looking after one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

SV wrote: »
    protecting their owners regardless of what happens to themselves.
    that's brave.

Unprovoked attacks on people who aren't even near the owner's property = unacceptable.

And when the person is obviously afraid of dogs, then that's just nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Lads, they're dogs. I dont think we can question their morals!

Theres nothing like a loyal dog. They can be great companions.

If you were being burgled and a guy was coming at you with a crowbar, Id prefer to have my dog than a cat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

"You see, Greg, when you yell at a dog, his tail will go between his legs and cover his genitals, his ears will go down, the dog is very easy to break. But cats make you work for their affection, they don't sell out the way that dogs do." :p

I grew up with a few dogs but prefer cats. If you put some real effort into it, you can train a cat. I have done a small bit with our cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Cats are the best!!!
    They're cute, furry and cuddly!!
    Also once you get their affection, they're really loving animals!

Dogs just are affectionate cuz they're too dependent on their owners.
    Cats are more independent and so when they are affectionate to you, its not cuz they need you or are dependent on you. If you treat a cat badly and show no affection towards it, it'll go away and will not come back to you again.

and lolcats are so much better than loldogs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

In my experience everyone who tells me they hate cats has never had a cat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Cats are selfish bastards, once there's food around they wont **** off, then if there's none one where to be seen!

Dog's FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

tk123 wrote: »

That's probably true.

Why would we get one when we know we hate them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Cats are the best!!!

Dogs just are affectionate cuz they're too dependent on their owners.
    Cats are more independent and so when they are affectionate to you, its not cuz they need you or are dependent on you. If you treat a cat badly and show no affection towards it, it'll go away and will not come back to you again.

and lolcats are so much better than loldogs!

They're only pretending. If you're late with the feeding, they'll rip your throat out, tear you to pieces and make necklaces out of your entrails.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Dogs are the best!!!

Dogs just are affectionate cuz they love you.
    Cats are more independent and so when they are affectionate to you, its not cuz they love you. If a cat finds a better family it'll go away and will not come back to you again.

and lolcats are a wee bit better than loldogs!

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

How many times have you heard of a cat finding someone burred in the rubble of a collapsed building?
    Or a rescue cat that carries a barrel of rum for lost mountaineers?

Dogs are cool, cats meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

cats are b*stards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Orla K wrote: »
    Are dogs more accepted/liked than cats?

Yes, it's plain to see on most store entrances.
    It doesn't say "No animals allowed except guide cats".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Dogs simply win at getting liked instantly ...because they throw themselves at anyone for a bit of attention.

Cats are a lot more shy and reserved and don't do well with strangers.
    But once they know you they can be every bit as affectionate and "loyal" as any dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

tk123 wrote: »
    I've had cats all through my childhood. Never liked the bastards. Had one dog and got so much more companionship and love from her than any of the cats whose names I can't even remember.

And only morons think lolcats are funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

peasant wrote: »
    Dogs simply win at getting liked instantly ...because they throw themselves at anyone for a bit of attention.

Cats are a lot more shy and reserved and don't do well with strangers.
    But once they know you they can be every bit as affectionate and "loyal" as any dog.

I have a tenner here that says a cat will run away at the sign of any trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If your definition of "loyal" is scratching the postman, then yes, you're right :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

What about a tiger?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I have had both dogs and cats growing up, and I like both - I don't think of myself as a dog person OR a cat person. Dogs are generally more affectionate, but if you put the effort in cats can be as well - I had a cat that would climb up my arm and drape around my neck, I had another cat who would jump on my bed and curl up against me when I was going to sleep. Dogs are just more instantly loyal than cats, you have to build up trust with a cat before it is affectionate.

As for horrrible dogs and cats, you can get both when they're not looked after properly! Horrible hissy scratchy cats, and horrible aggressive scuzzy dogs... You really can't generalise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

I think (like most things) it comes down to personal choice.

Some people are dog people and some people are cat people.

However, (as this thread seems to be confirming) people who are 'dog' people seem to be more vocal in their dislike of cats than 'cat' people are about dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Agricola wrote: »
    Lads, they're dogs. I dont think we can question their morals!

Theres nothing like a loyal dog. They can be great companions.

If you were being burgled and a guy was coming at you with a crowbar, Id prefer to have my dog than a cat!

http://www.infinitecat.com/cat-tales/blind-agatha.html
    Blind cat attacks burglar coming in through window

http://open.salon.com/blog/gwen_cooper/2008/10/01/night_of_the_hunter
    Another blind cat wakes up owner and chases burglar away

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cornwall/3025262.stm
    A normal cat helps owner attack burglar.

Maybe the thing is to get a blind cat, and of course I would go for the useless three legged one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Well, it's simple.

Dogs look up to you - they are delighted to see you!
    Cats never trust me - ever.

Perhaps it's just you?

I love LOLCats, they make me happy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

meh, I like both

I don't get why people always compare the two. They have completely different traits

And people always say that cats use you, well guess what.. so do dogs.. no animal is loyal to you out of love.. they're loyal because they know you're the one that feeds them.

Anthropomorphism FTL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Dogs have owners

Cats have servants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Orla K wrote: »
    I'm asking this here because it's a general question not just for people with pets.

I was going to ask it in pet and animal issues but today I have noticed something that makes me think they are.

A few months ago I remember a thread being started in AH about naming a dog/puppy. A while later I got a cat and started a thread in AH about naming her (I was really looking for funny names/comments) this thread ended up getting closed and then moved. Now there is a new thread about a naming a dog. Also in these threads I noticed my one got a bit horrible, ranging from people saying the cat had aids to giving a link with what I think was a run over cat(I was smart enough not to click), that is probably why the thread got moved.

I'm not arguing with the mods modding. I think it's more not pet owners accepting/tolerating/liking dogs over cats, even in the supermarket there's always loads of stuff for dogs and barely anything for cats (even less for other animals but for some reason one of the ones near me has loads of stuff for budgies)

For the record I love both and I got a cat because I couldn't keep a dog where I'm living.

I`ve lost count of how many times i`ve read about attacks on cats in the media. And I don`t just mean run of the mill animal cruelty either, I mean orchestrated serial attacks on cats. I happened close to where I grew up, some scummer was going around shooting cats with pellet guns.
    For some reason, people who hate cats, don`t just dislike them, they really despise and loathe them with a passion.
    Personally, I`ve had pet cats all my life. Dogs are too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Cats are annoying, sneaky little ****ers who are basically just larger rats.

Cats are the Brain Slugs of the real world.. They carry a parasite called Toxoplasma gondii

When humans become infected with Toxoplasmosis it causes them to have slower reaction times and take more risks! That's probably why people spend 5 euro on a 200ml carton of specially designed cat milk

What's not to like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Cats scare me. Especially their eyes! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

And people always say that cats use you, well guess what.. so do dogs.. no animal is loyal to you out of love.. they're loyal because they know you're the one that feeds them.

Explain Hachiko plz.

And Bobby.

And Shep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Dogs look up to you. Cats look down on you.
    Dogs look forward to you coming home. Cat's look forward to being fed.

That's not to mention lolcats.... which are a stupid ****ing cancer on decent message boards the world over.

Nothing good has come from /b/... NOTHING.... except for Project Chanology.... but that's only 1 thing.

No if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get ****ing drunk.

liah wrote: »
    Explain Hachiko plz.

And Bobby.

And Shep.

Well that's the first time I've ever heard of those but they seem like symbolic stories that were probably exaggerated from one person to the next.

I'm not saying that's certain though.. Obviously someone was still taking care of the animals after the owners died, so the dogs may have learned to survive by settling into new routines etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I love dogs they're the epitomie of what a pet should be, cats however don't even act like pets, they're mistrustful, largley unaffectionate and disloyal. I think they should just go back to being wild animals because I don't think they've ever been properly domesticated.
    The thing I especially hate about cats is when you're strolling down the street minding your own business and you see a cat miles away darting away from you as if you were a huge threat to its safety. It almost makes me want to chase the damn thing and give it a reason to run away from me. Also they're always just looking at you from underneath cars and bushes. God I hate cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

The dog owners on this board aren`t half talking a load of bollocks. Honestly, do you all really think a cat is `looking down` on you? It`s not, its` a cat. Animals don`t have airs and graces, or prejudices of any kind.
    As for the affection issues, my cat used to love nothing more than curling up in anyones lap and just lolling there for as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Explain Hachiko plz.

And Bobby.

And Shep.

hmm, the Hachiko and shep stories seem suspiciously similar...

still though, you have to earn a cats loyalty (once you do, they are every bit as loyal and playful as a dog)

Dogs wear their heart on their sleeves
    cats are more shy

Dogs are great for keeping ********** away (you know what i mean)
    Cats keep the house free from vermin

i have both dogs and a cat & they make great friends for each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

And Bobby.

Quote from the wiki page:
    Bobby died in 1872 and could not be buried within the cemetery itself, since it was consecrated ground

What a load of shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

im neutral about cats

but they dont compare to dogs

my dog is a good friend and has a personality :) ( and smelly farts :P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

I love both cats and dogs. I have two dogs but sometimes I wish they were cats so they would leave me alone for five bloody minutes and stop tripping me up and begging for food!! I do love them really :D

I think humans generally like dogs more because we can control them and thats what humans like best. People who claim to love all animals and who dont like cats are not animals lovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Much prefer dog's, they do what their ordered to do, are loyal and play with you.
    Cats are antisocial, and can't be trusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Tis a shame so many have only bad things to say about cats, they really do make remarkable friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i despise cats they should be rid from the earth imo dogs are cool

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

Cats are ok but dogs are better as they will interact with you and are a hell of a lot more intelligent in my opinion. and yes i have had cats and dogs..

• Advertisement
Advertisement