Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifying for UK courses

Options
  • 26-09-2009 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I'm 23 and dropped out of a BA degree a after first year back in 2005. I have been ready to go back to study for the last few years but was waiting until I qualified as a mature student so I would have access to grants etc.. I know with Irish universities/ITs I could take up an undergraduate course without the required points.. However I wish to move to Northern Ireland to be with my other half who lives and works up there.

I was thinking of applying to do an undergraduate course in The University of Ulster, however on researching the UCAS equivalent to my LC points I fall short for the course by far.. Are there any mature student exemptions for applying to UK universities? Or with a good personal statement and interview would I be able to get in regardless of my shortfall in points? I wish to study the BSc Hons Social Policy and it does say they welcome applications from mature students, but I was wondering if this just applies to residents of the UK? If anybody could give me further information I would be very grateful!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The 'exemptions' are the same in NI in that mature students don't need to meet the formal requirements (except where a certain level of knowledge in a particular area is essential for you to be admitted, in which case they'd suggest an Access course). To illustrate, I did an Arts BA at UU with a Junior Cert. and nothing else. :D I did have to sit an entrance test, though this was to assess my writing abilities moreso than subject knowledge.

Re. your country of origin, the same rules apply for UK nationals as Irish ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 FuzzyWool

Thanks pow wow, that's very helpful. I'm looking into applying for 2010.. The UCAS application process is more stressful than our CAO what with the personal statement, and requiring references!

Also just wondering, as I currently reside in the Rep. of Ireland, will I be able to get a grant? Or if not a grant, do I qualify for the deferred tuition fees? I have savings to pay for maybe the first 2 years of the course, but I would need to continue working to support myself and save for the following years study!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

No problem FuzzyWool :D

The undergraduate grants system on ROI extends to NI (currently anyway!) so if you qualify for the VEC/County Council grants you can get it if you go to uni in NI.

I'm not too familiar with the options if you are self-funding. I'll dig around for some info later and pop back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I did my degree in the UK. I qualified no problem as a mature student but in order to get a grant I had to be resident in the UK for 3 years. My LC points was never an issue of entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 06587186

does anybody know if the local authority grant covers post grad study in Scotland?
    or if there is any funding available? I've heard something about bursary's but cant find any info!
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement