Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FutureGuy - You're In The Well

Options
  • 26-09-2009 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

After a week in the well that resembled a CIA interrogation, the honour is now passed to FutureGuy :D You may know the name as the resident Pro Evo / FIFA moderator and a driving force behind some impressive activity with FIFA leagues for boards.ie members.

Previous installments of "in the well":
    Sabre0001
    Retr0gamer
    Mr E
    L31mr0d
    Jazzy
    Kinetic^

First Questions:
    Why did you start organising FIFA leagues on boards?

Did you think it would be this popular when you began organising the first one?

Would you be classed as a "fanboy" of either FIFA or Pro Evo?

Which do you prefer at the moment?

🤪

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Are you really from the future?

Is this is an accurate picture of you?

fry.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Thanks for having me guys, it's a pleasure to answer your questions...hopefully I wont bore the pants off ye with my rants!

First Questions:
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Why did you start organising FIFA leagues on boards?
    I have always garnered great enjoyment from running gaming-related events, whether it be soccer, CCGs or Console tournaments. With PES2008 turning out to be somewhat of a disappointment to many fans of the series, many players bought FIFA 09 instead.

However, after a few weeks of playing FIFA 09, the same complaint kept popping up, namely the fact that players were quitting online. Also, I had also seen a few initial FIFA 09 leagues run out of steam half way through and so I decided that we needed to have a league just for Boardsies.

I also thought that If I could create a successful league that we could show that FIFA was deserving of its own subforum, and I like to think that this league helped FIFA get it's own little place on Boards.

From a selfish point of view, I like the fact I can now play in a league full of good sports!

Did you think it would be this popular when you began organising the first one?
    Given the tremendous abount of players that were playing, I though if things were done properly we could get 20-30 players going. I think we are actually looking at about double that number for FIFA 10. I have an excellent team to whom I have delegated many of the responsibilities to over the last 2 months, and with their help, I can see the league getting even bigger.
    Would you be classed as a "fanboy" of either FIFA or Pro Evo?
    I was a huge FIFA fanboy 10-15 years ago. As I have grown older, I will just play the game I feel is best. For 6 years, that game was PES, but in the last 2 years, I have started playing FIFA again. Anyways, I have always been a stickler for official kits, stats, player names etc and FIFA has always been ahead of PES in that regard.
    Which do you prefer at the moment?
    At the moment, I have to say that FIFA is the better series. I have played both the PES10 and FIFA10 demos and I can't see this trend breaking anytime soon.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Are you really from the future?

Temporal mechanics is a tricky subject. Am I from the future? Perhaps. It depends on what you mean by "future".
    Is this is an accurate picture of you?

http://z.about.com/d/animatedtv/1/0/2/fry.jpg

Actually, it ain't that far off lol. Red hair, United t-shirt and jeans. But you got the shoes wrong...fail for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Do you believe the current developers are capable of recreating the awesomeness of Nintendo World Cup soccer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Im throwin in the standard 10 :P..partly cause im lazy :D

1. Earliest memory of gaming?
    2. Longest time spent on a game?
    3. If you could stop time in terms of gaming gernerations, what would it be?
    4. Recommend 1 game to a person who has never played computer games (PC or console) that will instantly get them to understand what it's all about.
    5. What is the best gaming system in your opinion?
    6. What do you think of the introduction of 'achievements' / 'trophies'?
    7. Can you go back and play through old games without them (or would you buy them from the arcade store now just for the glowing feeling when you hear that sound)?
    8. What are your top 5 games at the moment (can be all-time or currently playing)?
    9. What system do you currently do most of your gaming on and why?
    10. What's the worst game you've ever played that you seen through to completion?

• Advertisement

Now that the console world has taken the online scene by storm, do you think it has taken away from those long PES/FIFA days filled with banter that you'd have with rl friends rather then your online crew?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What do you make of this years FIFA?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Whats the most embarrassing thing you have ever done or said on boards? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

What is your favourite game of all time?

Do you believe the current developers are capable of recreating the awesomeness of Nintendo World Cup soccer?

I think once Nintendo reached the pinnicle of football sims, every other game since has had to take a different route. That game was legendary, I still remember playing it way back when. Yes, I am old. Ah memories!

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Im throwin in the standard 10 :P..partly cause im lazy :D

1. Earliest memory of gaming?
    2. Longest time spent on a game?
    3. If you could stop time in terms of gaming gernerations, what would it be?
    4. Recommend 1 game to a person who has never played computer games (PC or console) that will instantly get them to understand what it's all about.
    5. What is the best gaming system in your opinion?
    6. What do you think of the introduction of 'achievements' / 'trophies'?
    7. Can you go back and play through old games without them (or would you buy them from the arcade store now just for the glowing feeling when you hear that sound)?
    8. What are your top 5 games at the moment (can be all-time or currently playing)?
    9. What system do you currently do most of your gaming on and why?
    10. What's the worst game you've ever played that you seen through to completion?

Hey there,
    1. My earliest gaming memory was getting an Atari 2600 with Space Invaders and Combat for Christmas. Myself and my Dad spent hours playing it, especially Combat. Pure and simple gameplay. 27 years later and we play the battle tank game on Wii Play :)

2. Hmmm....single player, I would have to say Pokemon Red. I remember I had about 140 hours clocked up. Multiplayer, it's a toss up between Goldeneye in college and probably WWE No Mercy on the N64.

3. Great question. In terms of the wonder I felt, it would be about 1991. I remember getting my first play of this new console called a Game Boy. I absolutely fell in love with it. Also the SNES was in the works, we were all still loving Super Mario Brothers. Pure gold.

4. Wii Sports. Unquestionably. Its the single reason my parents and half my uncles/aunts now have their own Wii.

5. I'm lucky to own every current gen console and handheld, and I have to say that the Xbox360 is well out in front. The combination of a vast games library and excellent online play system will keep it out in front for the rest of the current gaming generation.

6. Achievements, and later Trophies, are probably one of the best things to happen to gaming in the last 10 years. I have put way more time into certain games than I would have otherwise. because Microsoft got there first and I quite enjoy collecting achievement points, I will buy a multiformat game on the XBOX360 and not the PS3.

7. My Arcade downloads on the 360 are mainly new titles actually. I'm currently going through Shadow Complex. On the Wii, I have quite a collection of classics!

8. Currently Playing (in order)- Street Fighter 4, Half Life 2 (Orange Box), Shadow Complex, Fifa 10 Demo, Halo ODST

9. 95% of the time it's the 360.

10. Nowadays, It takes a special game for me to complete it so the answer would be an old game when spending 60 pounds on a game meant you had to squeeze every single drop of gameplay out of it. Cliffhanger for the SNES I think. Truely dreadful game.

Now that the console world has taken the online scene by storm, do you think it has taken away from those long PES/FIFA days filled with banter that you'd have with rl friends rather then your online crew?

When I was younger, consoles were seen as the passtime of the nerd. While I was practicing at Street Fighter, they were out getting girlfriends. The losers. So I didn't really have anyone to talk to about it!

Anyways, ye are all my buddies now ;)

What do you make of this years FIFA?! :D

Very solid. I have a few gripes but hopefully they will be ironed out come October 2nd.

There isn't a massive difference between 09 and 10 but it seems more polished and realistic.

Alot of the differences I want to see are to do with the online side of things...penalties for quitter, cheaters etc.

Kirby wrote: »
    Whats the most embarrassing thing you have ever done or said on boards? :D

Dhalsim is a weak character ;)

Honestly, I have probably said a few silly things but sure it only makes things more interesting :) I'll have to have a think about that one!

BFassassin wrote: »
    What is your favourite game of all time?

I have been playing consoles for close to 30 years...

Favourite EVER Game.

Super Mario Brothers 3 followed very closely by Street Fighter 2 and Mario Kart.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'll throw in the old 'games as art' question - are games mere entertainment in your opinion, or are they something more profound on occasion?

Also, as someone who has no interest in football games (or football in general!) I have always wondered what would be considered as the core appeal of sporting games? Is it the fantasy / wish fulfillment element? The fact that it is largely skill based? Other? Or a mix of everything? As it is one of the few genres I pretty much avoid completely (Tony Hawks 2-4 is pretty much it) I'm curious to hear what I'm missing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Do you feel Fifa's shooting is its weak point?

Why can some of us not get into Fifa despite feeling that the last two installments of Pes have been disappoitning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

What did you think of UFC Undisputed 2009 and do you think the video game educated casual fans to the ground game in real life. There've been a few fights when the crowd haven't just booed the wrestlers and have cheered people getting past guards which never happened before the game came out.

Who's your favourite Udinese player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

You said Super Mario Bros 3, Street Fighter 2 and Mario Kart were your favourite games, so:

1) Why?
    2) Do you think the more recent games in each series have been as good?

I'll throw in the old 'games as art' question - are games mere entertainment in your opinion, or are they something more profound on occasion?

I think for the most part, games are just plain entertainment. There have been games that have rivaled movies in terms of their scope and story, and memories of the best games will probably stay with me just as long as the very best movies. However, I don't think that many games set out to do much more than to entertain. I have seen films and read books that have changed my perception of the world, something I don't think many games have done.

But for sheer entertainment, I would rather a top game over a top movie most days of the week!
    Also, as someone who has no interest in football games (or football in general!) I have always wondered what would be considered as the core appeal of sporting games? Is it the fantasy / wish fulfillment element? The fact that it is largely skill based? Other? Or a mix of everything? As it is one of the few genres I pretty much avoid completely (Tony Hawks 2-4 is pretty much it) I'm curious to hear what I'm missing :)

Although I enjoy PES/FIFA, I don't like many other sports games to be honest. I play the odd round or two of Tiger Woods but thats about it. The reason FIFA resonates with me is because and I have always enjoyed 1-on-1 competition. It's me and my skills vs my opponet and his/her skills. For me, the wish fulfillment aspect doesn't factor in since I really enjoy playing real soccer too.

I think when you find someone that is an even match and you play them in FIFA/PES over the course of a 10-15 minutegame, you can generate as much excitement as watching your favouite team on television. In last years FIFA league, I played BennyCon. He was 3-2 ahead going into injury time at the end of the second half. I scored a dramatic equaliser which looked like securing an unlikely draw. However, with virtually the last kick of the game, I scored to make it 4-3. The rush from scoring and the ensuing celebration was just as intense as watching/playing any sport. Bennycon was absolutely destroyed after losing. That for me is the reason I love it so much.

You always get people that take it far too seriously, which is detrimental to the enjoyment of the game, but thankfully we don't have players like that in the FIFA league...don't get me wrong...everyone is in it to win, but no one is willing to lower themselves to cheesy tactics in order to do so.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Do you feel Fifa's shooting is its weak point?

Why can some of us not get into Fifa despite feeling that the last two installments of Pes have been disappoitning?

I think FIFAs shooting is actually one of its strong points if I could be honest. Shoot with the left foot of a predominately right footed player and watch as the ball sails wide.

One of the aspects I enjoy about FIFA is the fact you need to work hard with your shooting. You have 4 shot variations (normal, chip, power and placed) and you need to work to know which to use in any given situation. In junior soccer, i have played as striker all my life and there are times where you know instintively when and how to score. It's the same in FIFA...you can have a fraction of a second to get a shot in, and within that time, you need to know exactly which shot will work. Pure reflex sometimes...highly enjoyable.

Regarding people not getting into FIFA after playing PES, it's horses for courses really. I know there is the PES fanboi element who will spit at anything FIFA-based, and vice versa. That's a shame really as both are great games. However there are plenty of players that just prefer the layout of PES and FIFA may be just too different for them. PES is brilliant for a few mates gathered around the TV playing each other, but most of my friends play shooters and so I play FIFA online. And in respect to online play, FIFA is way ahead of PES.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    What did you think of UFC Undisputed 2009 and do you think the video game educated casual fans to the ground game in real life. There've been a few fights when the crowd haven't just booed the wrestlers and have cheered people getting past guards which never happened before the game came out.

Who's your favourite Udinese player

To be honest, I never really took to UFC2009 despite my best efforts. I have a casual interest in real UFC but I wouldn't be surprised if fans of the games are alot more clued-in to the technical aspects of the ground game than fans who have never played the game. I certainly know alot more tecknical UFC phrases now than before I played UFC!

Favourite Udinese player...you are baby! Real world wise, Di Natale.

Mr. K wrote: »
    You said Super Mario Bros 3, Street Fighter 2 and Mario Kart were your favourite games, so:

1) Why?
    2) Do you think the more recent games in each series have been as good?

As you probably guessed,i'm in my thirties now so many of the younger readers might see these games are simplistic compared to their newer counterparts.

Super Mario Brothers 3 is my favourite game for so many reasons. Over 20 years later and I would gladly sit down and play it from start to finish, not to unlock anything or to gain achievement points, but just because it has a perfect mix of everything that is good in platforming. At the time, the graphics were superb, the levels were challenging, the Mario suits were cool (Tanooki Mario anyone?), the World structure was very refreshing and the bonus games were a great laugh.

Mario Kart was a game that totally dominated my childhood. Myself, my brother and our friends used to play it almost every day of the summer holidays. When not playing vs or battle, we were attempting to shave milliseconds off our records, and no game since then has make me want to return to beat personal bests as much as the original Mario Kart.

Street Fighter II (actually meant to say that SF2 Turbo was my favourite because I never bought the original) was the start of quite an obsession for me. I think I have owned most conversions of the game. I first played it in an arcade in Kilkee while on summer holidays one year in the early Nineties. Then my friend got SF2 on the SNES for christmas and we spent most of the Christmas holidays playing it. Super memories.

Regarding the newer conversions of these games, I think they have all done really well for themselves. Obviously, Mario has gone 3-D on the Gamecube and Will. While I felt Super Mario Sunshine was a slight letdown, I absolutely loved Super Mario Galaxy. I still prefer the 2-D versions and New Super Mario Brothers on the DS was a game I have been waiting for since Super Mario World.

Street Fighter 4 is one of my favourite games of all time. Although I am nowhere near as good as someone should be after playing the series for so long, I am not too bad at it. After playing with the boardsies in the Fighting Game forum, I realised the tactics I had used all my life to beat friends were basically dreadful and so I have relearned the entire game from scratch over the last 7-8 months! I have a good Ryu and a good Guile, but I always love just choosing random characters and playing them.

Mario Kart is always a great laugh but no other incarnation has topped the original.

Given your vast experience of the FIFA/PES, give us what would be your perfect game taking various aspects from either game to combine in to 1 mega whopper super duper football game. It can be from just this year's games or from the past 10 years, tis up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

What is your favourite team in FIFA/PES, and why (Because you've always been a fan or just because the team you really support is only 1 star)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

How many headaches do you get from the back-and-forth Pro Evo vs FIFA...."debates"?

You mention that you are 30+. Have you felt the need to grow out of gaming or is it acceptable to still play (you old git :p)?

People have become more frustrated with cheaters / quitters in FIFA. Why do you think people are reluctant to enter more official matches (leagues, tournaments, etc) - the obvious leagues aside ;)

Will you feature at LanParty.ie 2?

Has Futurama kept to a high standard over the years or has it slipped up as time has gone on?

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

- Favourite gaming genre ?

- Most enjoyable game of the past year ?

- Favourite gaming memory ?

- What game...that hasnt been invented, have you seen in a tv show/cartoon/film , that you always thought...wow..if only that were real ? Can be futuristic/impossible too (i.e that laser/quasar game from Futurama :P)

Given your vast experience of the FIFA/PES, give us what would be your perfect game taking various aspects from either game to combine in to 1 mega whopper super duper football game. It can be from just this year's games or from the past 10 years, tis up to you.

Great question, but I do think if I let myself I will write for an hour. Suffice it to say it would be a mix of Fifa09 and PES6 which are the best incarnations of both series.

I'd also add the curly ball cheat from Fifa94 :p That gave us hours of entertainment. For the younguns here, it was a cheat where you could control the ball in mid air like a missile. Hilarious!

giggsy664 wrote: »
    What is your favourite team in FIFA/PES, and why (Because you've always been a fan or just because the team you really support is only 1 star)

My favourite team in FIFA is usually whoever I choose in the FIFA league. In fact, I have started to support Lyon since I picked them last year. I may even go over for a game this year!

In real life, I support Manchester United but I got bored of playing them in FIFA because they are probably too good and more people would quit on me while playing them than when I was winning with Lyon/Juventus.

• Advertisement

How many headaches do you get from the back-and-forth Pro Evo vs FIFA...."debates"?

Thankfully, most people know that if they cross the line from intelligent discussion to ranting fanboyism they won't last too long on the forum. I am happy for people to discuss the pros/cons of each game providing it is done properly.
    You mention that you are 30+. Have you felt the need to grow out of gaming or is it acceptable to still play (you old git :p)?

I'll be gaming until I'm old and grey. As I mentioned in another post, when I was younger, only "nerds" played NES/SNES/Megadrive. Now nearly everyone of my old school friends have a console.
    People have become more frustrated with cheaters / quitters in FIFA. Why do you think people are reluctant to enter more official matches (leagues, tournaments, etc) - the obvious leagues aside ;)

I played FIFA 09 in a live tournament once before, and honestly, I couldnt get over the number of arrogant twits that were playing. Everyone using little bugs in the gamecode to score, showing off to their mates when they were beating an inferior player, taking out last man etc. Turned me off the whole idea. I vowed never to play FIFA live after that.
    Will you feature at LanParty.ie 2?

I am looking at attending for Street Fighter 4. It looks like it is going to an incredible weekend!
    Has Futurama kept to a high standard over the years or has it slipped up as time has gone on?

Honestly, I haven't watched Futurama for quite some time. I loved it at the start but I think it is lacking something nowadays. Been watching Family Guy as I never watched it until about 6 months ago! Funnily enough, I'm halfway through season 4 and I'm finding that season rather disappointing. It's like it's trying too hard.

Advertisement