Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FutureGuy - You're In The Well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I played FIFA 09 in a live tournament once before, and honestly, I couldnt get over the number of arrogant twits that were playing. Everyone using little bugs in the gamecode to score, showing off to their mates when they were beating an inferior player, taking out last man etc. Turned me off the whole idea. I vowed never to play FIFA live after that.

Unfortunately that's "what it takes to win" - definately reduces the spectacle. Great answers so far! :)

🤪

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

SeantheMan wrote: »
    - Favourite gaming genre ?
    I've never had a favourite band and will like any good song regardless of genre, and I think my gaming sense is the same. When I was younger, I used love platform games and RPGs like Zelda, Children of Mana and ChronoTrigger. Since I got the XBOX, I play more shooters.

If I had to choose only one genre to play for the rest of my life....platformers.
    - Most enjoyable game of the past year ?
    In terms of pure unalduterated enjoyment-Batman: Arkham Asylum. Superb game, reminded me of lots of great games of days gone by and has a little of everything.
    - Favourite gaming memory ?
    In terms of gaming in general...I have too many. I'll start regurgitating. :)

-Playing Combat with my Dad on the Atari 2600
    -Learning the basics of game programming on the ZX Spectrum
    -First playing the Gameboy
    -The glorious graphics on the SNES
    -Hating Sega for no other reason than they were the "enemy"
    -Playing Mario and Links Awakening for the first time
    -Getting my hands on the Nintendo64 for the first time in Game in 1997 (i think)
    -Getting a GameCube on release morning, going home turning on surround sound and play Rough Leager for the first time.
    -Realising what I had been missing on the XBOX360 regarding online play
    -Going to GenCon Indianapolis in 2005 to play in the Star Trek Card Game World Championships (and finishing 17 when the cut was top 16 :( )
    -Playing 4-player Mario Kart Wii Online with myself, my gf, my brother and my parents.
    -My elderly relations nearly p!ssing themselves with laughter while playing Wii Sports
    -Playing my gf in StreetFighter IV
    -Premier League Fantasy Football
    - What game...that hasnt been invented, have you seen in a tv show/cartoon/film , that you always thought...wow..if only that were real ? Can be futuristic/impossible too (i.e that laser/quasar game from Futurama :P)

Proper Virtual Reality, like they have in Red Dwarf lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Great question, but I do think if I let myself I will write for an hour. Suffice it to say it would be a mix of Fifa09 and PES6 which are the best incarnations of both series.

I'd also add the curly ball cheat from Fifa94 :p That gave us hours of entertainment. For the younguns here, it was a cheat where you could control the ball in mid air like a missile. Hilarious!

Surely a re-incarnation of Brian Plank as well? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

One more question, based on recent news: What do you think of Capcom releasing Super Street Fighter IV?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

How come you haven't got 1000/1000 on Lost or Pro evo, 2 of the easier games to get that full score :P

What does one have to do to get into a fifa league here on boards.

Do you think we will ever see Alan Wake released :D

• Advertisement

Mr. K wrote: »
    One more question, based on recent news: What do you think of Capcom releasing Super Street Fighter IV?

I'm a little nervy about it to be honest. They are going to be adding 10 new characters to the game and every character will have 2 Ultra moves. Thats alot of new stuff to add to a very balanced game. They will need to test the shyte out of it to make sure it stays balanced.

nicklauski wrote: »
    How come you haven't got 1000/1000 on Lost or Pro evo, 2 of the easier games to get that full score :P

Because I would rather tear my own toenails out that play that game for even a second longer. I had about 800 points for ProEvo6 on my old non-live account. Once I got online I had to use a different account and so I lost about 2000 gamer points.
    What does one have to do to get into a fifa league here on boards.
    More deetails on the FIFA forum, but suffice it to say you need to apply for the qualifying league first and play through that. If it can be ascertained that you can play a game without constantly foulding and acting the maggot, and that you can finish a full series of 25 or so games, then you will be accepted. So basically we filter out the trouble makers which leaves a league full of good, honest players.
    Do you think we will ever see Alan Wake released :D

*checks wikipedia* I envisage a March 2010 release. On XBOX 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

why do you think fifa is so popular when the online is plagued by cheaters/quitters and the general gameplay makes a mockery of the real game and the people who play it?

why do you always include me in your warning about "being civil" when a fifa kid calls me an idiot? :P

why do you think fifa is so popular when the online is plagued by cheaters/quitters and the general gameplay makes a mockery of the real game and the people who play it?

Thats a great question, and I am delighted to answer in detail! These are my opinions as a player of both series since FIFA 94 and the original International Superstar Soccer.

I think (and this is just me) that there are plenty or reasons why FIFA is so popular. For starters, I think that the series has always been the leader in terms of realism. The graphics are superb and the commentators are both well known and speak like they know what they are talking about. The presentation of the game is superb, with excellent music and great menus. Gameplaywise, the controls are very accurate, allowing for numerous offensive and defensive strategies. The AI is superb and players reacty as they should. Online, things run smoothly. Yes, there is the quitting and cheating element which is a problem, but EA Sports are very good at seeing what works online and actually do something about it. Besides, we have superb fun in the FIFA boards league where we can have as many games as we want without cheating, quitting or taking out the last man.

It's main competitor, which is PES, was THE soccer game. Unfortunately, Konami has really let such a great game fall by the wayside. They seem to have no care for the thoughts of the players who have been crying out for change for so long. The gameplay has taken a step in the wrong direction and the online play has been pretty poor for a few years.

In my opinion (and, again, this is just me) FIFA presents a more realistic interpretation of real life soccer than any other game currently on the market. And that is why I will be buying FIFA10 and not PES. No bias, only a choise as a consumer looking for a good game.

I hope I have answered your question to your liking?
    why do you always include me in your warning about "being civil" when a fifa kid calls me an idiot? :P

I warn people when it is warranted. I also ban people when its warranted.

Back to the online thingy, do you think if consoles remained offline that Konami would still be Number 1? Clearly their efforts in making good netcode have failed over and over.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

dont you wish they just stopped at Pro Evo 6 ?

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Back to the online thingy, do you think if consoles remained offline that Konami would still be Number 1? Clearly their efforts in making good netcode have failed over and over.

It was obvious there was a problem with PES2008 and it wasnt rectified with 2009, despite all the protests.

I think if both games were offline and people relied on mates coming over, I think PES might still be the more popular game tbh. But soccer games rely heavily on online play nowadays and that is where FIFA is far better than PES.

Coca Cola or Pepsi?

Mary Kate or Ashley?

Ant or Dec?

Club Orange or Fanta Orange?

King or Tayto?

BMW or Mercedez?

NFL or NBA?

La Liga or Serie A?

Jazzy wrote: »
    dont you wish they just stopped at Pro Evo 6 ?

No, i think we need to get a new PES every year because if Konami actually listened to the players for next years version, we will hav a great game on our hands.

OK guys, I don't want to start a PES/FIFA war...I have enough of it on the FIFA/PES thread.

Lets talk about other games :D

Coca Cola or Pepsi?
    Coca Cola

Mary Kate or Ashley?
    Give em both a faaaeeeeed of bacon and cabbage and a few spuds...then both.

Ant or Dec?
    Dec, he's so dreamy. Ah, they're both legends.

Fanta Orange

King or Tayto?
    Tayto by a gazillion miles

BMW or Mercedez?
    BMW

NFL or NBA?
    NFL

La Liga or Serie A?
    La Liga

Fanta Orange

Nobody's perfect I suppose! :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

If theres one dead football franchise game you would like to revive, what would it be? (eg Actua Soccer/Sensible Soccer :P)

If theres one dead football franchise game you would like to revive, what would it be? (eg Actua Soccer/Sensible Soccer :P)

A proper update of Sensi.

I think (and this is just me) that there are plenty or reasons why FIFA is so popular. For starters, I think that the series has always been the leader in terms of realism. The graphics are superb and the commentators are both well known and speak like they know what they are talking about. The presentation of the game is superb, with excellent music and great menus. Gameplaywise, the controls are very accurate, allowing for numerous offensive and defensive strategies. The AI is superb and players reacty as they should. Online, things run smoothly. Yes, there is the quitting and cheating element which is a problem, but EA Sports are very good at seeing what works online and actually do something about it.

In my opinion (and, again, this is just me) FIFA presents a more realistic interpretation of real life soccer than any other game currently on the market.

I think if both games were offline and people relied on mates coming over, I think PES might still be the more popular game tbh.

:confused:. if you think fifa is better in everyway why would you play it offline?

or are you saying the only reason fifa is popular is because it works online? actually dont answer that, i'll just take it as the answer to my original question.

:confused:. if you think fifa is better in everyway why would you play it offline?

or are you saying the only reason fifa is popular is because it works online? actually dont answer that, i'll just take it as the answer to my original question.

I wasn't going to answer your PES fanboi question but we're in the well. Normally I ignore your comments elsewhere because you are blatant fanboi of PES. Seriously dude, you can play PES all you want but give the FIFA bashing a rest. Everyone is already tired of you on the FIFA/PES board.

Moving on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Some very polite pwning there ;)

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Coca Cola or Pepsi?

Mary Kate or Ashley?
    and so on...

Why didn't I get THESE kind of questions more?! :D
    A proper update of Sensi.

What do you think of the XBox Live arcade version (note: I thought it was pretty solid myself...even if they did have to make up squad names as a result of crackdowns on licensing)

If you were to have a group over to play 5 games what would they be? Note: there are no restrictions (you have as many consoles / PCs, etc as you need and game copies and so on). Basically - what are the best party games?

🤪

Some very polite pwning there ;)

nah, just the usual response. cant think of an intelligent answer so resorts to name calling. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

nah, just the usual response. cant think of an intelligent answer so resorts to name calling. :rolleyes:

Retr0gamer! I choose you!
    retr0.jpg

Name calling would imply that I was stating that you are something when you are not...you are a fanboy and you aren't really liked by your peers. Even PES fans dislike you lol. Not name calling, just stating facts.

Regarding stating that it is my usual response, I normally only speak to you when you need a warning.

Fanboy/fangirl
    Fanboy is a term originating in the United States[citation needed], used to describe a male who is highly devoted and biased in opinion towards a single subject or hobby within a given field.

Fanboy-ism is often prevalent in a field of products, brands or universe of characters where very few competitors (or enemies in fiction, such as comics) exist.

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    What do you think of the XBox Live arcade version (note: I thought it was pretty solid myself...even if they did have to make up squad names as a result of crackdowns on licensing)
    I actually have never played it...must have a look at the demo now that you mention it.
    If you were to have a group over to play 5 games what would they be? Note: there are no restrictions (you have as many consoles / PCs, etc as you need and game copies and so on). Basically - what are the best party games?

There are what we usually play...

If it was a bunch of mates?
    FIFA09, PES6, Halo 3 4 player online, Mario Kart Wii 4-player, Street Fighter 4

If it was couples/family
    Mario Kart 4-player, Wii Sports, Mario Party 8, Peggle, Strett Fighter 4 :)

I actually have never played it...must have a look at the demo now that you mention it.

Get it! It's great :D Although not as easy as I remember...and I think the 'Star' players have been removed.

Question:
    What do you think of Limerick?

Does it deserve it's reputation?

Do YOU think there is nothing to do here and why?

Why do you not say hello to me in HMV? :D

🤪

What do you think of Limerick?
    Nice city to like in despite the perceived image. I have a very good quality of life here and thats something I prioritize in my life.
    Does it deserve it's reputation?
    No it doesn't. I have been pretty vocal elsewhere about the bevaviour of some members of the public and the perceived lack of a Gardai presence but it's not like I am in fear of my life! On a fine sunny day, I love taking a walk around the city.
    Do YOU think there is nothing to do here and why?
    There's plenty to do if you go and look for it. I have live here since I went to UL in 1996 and I have lived in the city centre for the last 3 years. Good restaurants and bars, 2 nice cinemas, museum, some great shopping centers, god comedy and gigs and there are plenty of things to do and see in within a 30-40 mins radius.
    Why do you not say hello to me in HMV? :D
    Ha! I had heard you work there, but I'm not goping to ask a nice pretty assistant "Hi, who is Sabre001?" and they say "who?". "You know Saber001! The guy from Boards that does In the Well? "Saber001? Never heard of hi...oh wait, you mean Saber0001?" "Erm yea..."

Lemme know what you look like and I'll say hello!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Does your name imply you are a girl but soon to be a guy? (I know you love that question seen as someone asked you it before haha)

Q1. If I worked for xbox and said to you I would get 1 game developed for you based on anything you wanted..what would the game be about and what style of game..basically whats your idea for the best game everrrr?

Q2. Do you think there is a stigma still attached to gaming that makes it nerdy/geeky and stuff or has online gaming opening it up to all the family etc made that slowly go away, just basing it on what you said about relations playing the wii..or is gaming still just for nerds and geeks.

Q3. Since you've played games for 30 years+ and lot of Fifa/PES how did you manage to get relegated last season and also why have you such a crap gamerscore :D

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    Does your name imply you are a girl but soon to be a guy? (I know you love that question seen as someone asked you it before haha)
    Har de har har....yes, that was a famous taunt I received while playing online poker a few years back.
    Q1. If I worked for xbox and said to you I would get 1 game developed for you based on anything you wanted..what would the game be about and what style of game..basically whats your idea for the best game everrrr?
    An MMORPG version of Street Fighter lol...travel the world, beat people, gain XP etc. Cool.
    Q2. Do you think there is a stigma still attached to gaming that makes it nerdy/geeky and stuff or has online gaming opening it up to all the family etc made that slowly go away, just basing it on what you said about relations playing the wii..or is gaming still just for nerds and geeks.
    15 years ago, yes there was dreadful stigma associated, but no so much. I still think there are some genres that are seen as geeky such as MMORPGs such as WoW. I think Nintendo have given the image of the gamer a much needed make over. I don't think that online gaming has made it any less geeky tbh.
    Q3. Since you've played games for 30 years+ and lot of Fifa/PES how did you manage to get relegated last season and also why have you such a crap gamerscore :D
    Not 30+, more like 27...oh dear I'm getting on! The Premiership last year was bloody tough and getting Lyon didn't help matters lol. Still it's nice that I absolutely hockeyed your Man City.
    Regarding the gamescore question, it takes a very novel game to get me to finish it as most games are recycling ideas nowadays and I can get very bored quite easily. Therefore my gamerpoints aren't that high...thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Advertisement