Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow feeder pet bowls

Options
  • 26-09-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Anyone know of any pet shops in Dublin that sell Slow Feeder pet bowls? I was in a pet shop earlier and they told me that they are not yet available in the Irish market, but I'm sure I've seen them around.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Do you mean slow feeding dispensers or special bowls that slow a dog down when eating?
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_bowls_feeders/dog_feeders/dog_food_dispensers/137615 or http://www.brake-fast.net/

The first are easy to get in most petshops but iv never seen the second to buy anywhere but online.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Hi Dee,

Yes it's the 2nd one I'm looking for - the one that slows a dog down while they're eating - there's also an stainless steel version with the middle filled in so the dog has to eat around the bowl (bit like a donut) Again I have only seen them on line - just thought some pet shop here might have stocked them. Looks like I need to go to ebay or somewhere.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dmy1001

i put a big rock in our dogs dish and it works very well.........bigger than she can pick up:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

dmy1001 wrote: »
    i put a big rock in our dogs dish and it works very well.........bigger than she can pick up:D

o_O I don't understand...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Me either :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

star-pants wrote: »
    o_O I don't understand...

The idea of putting a rock in the bowl is to slow down a dog when eating, they can't bolt down the food because they have to eat around the rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I've done that in the past too.

Get a biggish rock (smaller than the bowl obviously) and wash it well. Put it in the middle of the food bowl and fill around it with food. The dog has to work to get the kibble out from around the rock rather than just lowering face to bowl and inhaling.

Ahh ok,thanks for that :) sorry I genuinely couldn't picture what was meant lol.
    Sounds interesting though!

:Dsorry ........kind of looked like i was saying i feed her nothing but rocks!!!
    she must be the only doggy that has some nice limestone in her dish!!! and it gives our other poor chap a chance to finish his before he is harassed to death with eyes boring into the back of him:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

dmy1001 wrote: »
    That's a bloody good idea! Anything that saves on buying fancypants gizmos appeals to me. Our brat would probably try eat the rock,he's at that stage,hehehe.

• Advertisement

I thought you were taking the mick actually! lol
    Our brat would probably try eat the rock,he's at that stage,hehehe.
    Ha yeah lil Daisy probably would try too! She can't wait to hoover up her food and see what's left in Lily's bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

I was recently told about the rock, only thing is that I tried it and she lifted it out. I have an old beaker in there at the moment which she can't grip and have ordered a proper bowl from The States. It really seems to slow her down and it gives the other 2 a chance to eat their food without worrying about it getting robbed.

Crikey! it must be a small rock.......or a very big dog:D

i put a heavy lump of limestone in there and there is no budging it..........however smarty pants has discovered this plan to slow her down so she tries to eat the other dogs food first now and he will not touch her bowl!
    Separate at eating time is the best plan i think!

Advertisement