Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing book from USA?

• 26-09-2009 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

I'm sorry to ask this, as it's probably been explained here before, but I can't find the answer!

I want to buy a few books from the states, but I don't understand what I would have to pay. From what I can gather, there is no VAT on books in Ireland? but I may have to pay some kind of import tax, or customs duty?

I tried checking revenue.ie, but I really don't understand it.

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it!

Many thanks :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Online Buying & Auctions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cabal

Thanks for the move Dudara, I didn't even know there was a section for 'online buying & auctions'.

Looking in that section, I think I got my answer:

"Consignments not exceeding a total value of €22 may be imported without payment of Customs Duty and VAT"

Cheers :)

Edit:

Actually, I'd still be interested to know about what charges would be due for books, if they did exceed 22 euro? I'm mostly planning on buying cheap 2nd hand copies anyway, but it'd be good to know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I just got an entire 11 book series sent over (robert jordan, wheel of time) 80 euro worth, in a big box with the contents and value clearly labeled (ie no gift stickers or anything) and it got here with no hassle from customs.
    dunno if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I bought some technical books from the US for a colleague several months ago and there was no issues. I think they cost about €100 for two books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You shouldn't be charged VAT, as they are books, and there's no VAT on them. That doesn't mean you won't get charged though. I've heard of it happening by mistake, especially if it comes via one of the couriers, as it's the courier that applies the VAT in that case (on behalf of Revenue).

If it happens, question it, but don't pay up.

Duty limit is €120, but I don't know what the rate of duty is on books, if there's even any.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well there is always the handling fee (up to 15? EUR) and they also include the shipping cost in the calculations.

As a worst case scenario calculate around 35% on top of what you paid but as noted above some times it goes through with out problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I think books such as manuals that include a DVD or CD might be liable for VAT, might be something to watch out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

No Duty on books & no VAT on books, so no importing charges applied. Just make sure description is correct on the label.

Advertisement