Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marui Famas F1

Options
  • 26-09-2009 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

As an antidote to the plague of M4s in my collection I am thinking of picking up a Tokyo Marui FAMAS. Have I lost my mind?

Anyone with any experience of owning this AEG want to encourage or talk me out of it.

Its ugly to many but thats unimportant.

The positives I have heard are great rate of fire, good accuracy, very tough can take a few bumps and bruises.

Apart from a scope mount there are very few accessories.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Very creaky and difficult to get parts for.:)

it was the first airsoft electric gun made in 1992 so its not really to the standards we know today, its still good though and theres also a cheaper Cybergun version which from memory, had a much nicer finish than the old TM.,:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭hoplite

Not that I doubt you Richie ;) but I was fondling what I believe to be a Cybergun version recently and I can't say I was impressed. Nasty cheapo plastic it felt very fragile. At odds with any review I have read on the Marui version but they also agree that its a creaky AEG.

Yep one of the reasons I am interested in getting it is that it was one of the first if not the first AEG made by TM. The granddaddy of all AEGs :-)

Have yet to be disappointed by any TM purchase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Sorry man, Forgot to point out, I saw 2 of them on the Cybergun stand in germany, One was a [pretty cr@p and the other was a decent one, nothing award winning, but not bad and they were different types if memory serves me right. :)
    Its been a while since I've seen the TM but it wasn't at all a great finish. but for a 17 year old design and still around, its hardly a piece of cr@p either. :)

I'll post up the cybergun pics if i can find them, think i have em on flickr. :)
    W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

Well the TM one is as old as me, and everyone I know likews it.

However, I played with the Cybergun one a while back and found it absolutely awesome. However, in a bullpup design, the JG or CA AUG A1 is a lot nicer :)

Anyone like the Cybergun M4A1 with RIS? I liked it, 250 euro in my local supplier and has full trades. Very powerful gun, very fast ROF, very accurate on a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I picked up a TM Famas F1 second hand at the start of the summer which, I must shamefully admit, I haven't skirmished with yet due to working at the weekends.

But having tried it out in my back garden I'll point out some of what I think are the pro's and cons.

Pros: High rate of fire, I had been previously using a JG G36C and the motor on the Famas is very impressive.

Accurate, from what I've seen anyway it is quite accurate.

Oh and it stands out! Nice to have a bit of an unusual aeg. I'm a Metal Gear Solid fan too so I just had to

Cons: Creaky, it feels much flimsier than my JG. When I first got it I nearly felt it'd break if you held it the wrong way. But it's not bad really, I just had to get used to it.

Awkward for attachments etc. There's no traditional sling point on the front of the gun, you need to get a special TM sling or else have it strapped to the barrel,which I wouldn't do for fear of loosening the barrel. (again the creakiness issue)
    Also, there's no rail for if you want to attach a site

The front sight on mine is loose and slides a bit and I'll need to secure it somehow, which is really annoying. I don't know whether this is a common problem of just on mine as it's second hand.

I'll give a more in depth review when I've been out in the next couple of weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

I find installing a rail in the handle easy. Same as for stuffin one into AR15 handle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Gatling wrote: »

Link doesn't seem to want to load for me :(

Right so I had my first outing with my Famas last night in the Warehouse.

First thing I have to say is that I'm loving the high rate of fire. I felt like I had an edge in the game because of the amount of rounds I was getting off compared to some others. It's great for laying down covering fire,both defending and when attacking as well. I can't really comment on range or sites due to the fact that it's indoors so it's not over very far distances and the rental face masks in there make it impossible to use the sights.

The feel of the gun is perfect. Fits nicely into the shoulder and the front grip is very comfortable. It's also a great size for cqb as its a bullpup. I previously used a G36C and found this much more comfortable. Almost becomes part of you.

The only issue I have with it based on last night is it's construction. I bumped into a few walls and such during the game, as you do when you're diving for cover, and I banged it a few times. Every time I did I was afraid of something breaking off, mainly the flash hider on the front.
    The trigger guard was a little loose afterwards but I tightened it. I also lost the cheek guard for it. The cheek guard is mainly just to cover the hop up and it just clips on, so I'm not surprised it fell off at some point. But don't worry about that meaning your hop- up will be messed up as the dial is exposed because it's kinda sunken into the stock, so it's not easily turned.

Other than that all is good. To sum it up I'd say that, despite it feeling flimsy I still think it's an excellent gun and if I would buy one again. The comfort and internals make it well worth it, although I did get it second hand.

Any other questions just ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Advertisement