Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ROTR - Roundabout Advert on RTE

• 26-09-2009 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I just saw the Department of Transport put a ROTR advert on RTE after the news showing how to use a roundabout correctly.

ABOUT FVCKING TIME!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

yeah I seen it the other day.
    very happy :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Berty wrote: »
    Im too excited to do a thread search for this!!!!!

I just saw the Department of Transport put a ROTR advert on RTE after the news showing how to use a roundabout correctly.

ABOUT FVCKING TIME!!!!

Little bit scary! I'd hope that road users already know how to use a roundabout???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Little bit scary! I'd hope that road users already know how to use a roundabout???

lol!!
    Maybe..normal road users.
    Not Irish though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Volvoboy wrote: »

Do you drive at all? :D

Im off out to get some beer and a Pizza soon(countdown to stupid posts later) and have to pass through 10 roundabouts(20 return journey) and will guarantee people will not know how to use them.

I hate post 5pm Mon-Fri / Weekend drivers. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Rsa vids in question: http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/videos.html they don't like firefox but played fine in opera.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

They've gotta do a follow-up on 'how to use a motorway'.

Maybe with a parallel radio advert voiced by Ray D'Arcy.
    A simple 'get out of the fukking over-taking lane' would do it.

It's all covered on that link. All they need to do now is enforce the rules.

Motorways

This video explains how to drive on Motorways. The following sections of the Rules of the Road apply…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Really? Is it any good or is it the usual scary faux-snuff movie involving toddlers flying through the air and people getting pinned against brick walls by out of control cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

FFS rsa, why are you using quicktime and windows media? Upload those videos to youtube and embed them, it isn't hard. Or at least embed them as flash, it's really quite easy. Send me a pm if you need help. :)

Muppets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

maclek wrote: »
    Send me a pm if you need help. :)

Muppets.
    Oh sorry, you'll need wait for them to go to tender first, submit your reply to their 40-page RFT questionnaire then gnash your teeth horribly as either Accenture or Bearing Point are awarded a seven-figure state contract for providing 'Strategic Knowledge Transfer Technical Format Change Consultancy', or, as we'd call it, file-conversion services.

• Advertisement

At least the voice over isn't GB, the pr/ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Was delighted to see it - honestly think alot of the mistakes made on roundabouts are simple ignorance of the correct procedure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

I have nearly got the back end of my car taken by idiots not knowing the rotr when driving on roundabouts when it is a 2 lane roundabout

t-ha wrote: »
    Was delighted to see it - honestly think alot of the mistakes made on roundabouts are simple ignorance of the correct procedure.

I do not think that the people who the advert is appealing to will actually pay attention to it and will most likely switch off when the ad comes on thinking "sure why do I have to listen I know how to use a roundabout anyway"

OR

be like my mother when I corrected her(mistake btw)

"Sure Im on the roundabout, everybody else can yield to me" bought license in the 70's during the amnesty

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Hal1 wrote: »
    All they need to do now is enforce the rules.

LOL, as if thats going to happen.

Great work though by the RSA, maybe they are listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I'd say less than half of driver's with a full licence know this.
    And about seventy percent of provisional licence holder's know it.
    Although could just be bad habit's picked up.

Have you ever cut a roundabout when there is nobody on it?

Have you ever cut a corner / chicane when you can see the road in front of you?

Have you ever driven above the speed limit knowing the Gardai are likely not to be on the road?

Have you ever run a red light at 4am because..............most people do?

Have you ever bent a rule when you can?

If you have thats fine, seriously it is, you're not going to stop anyway.

However, some people do this ALL the time.

That is what separates drivers from a*ssholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Whatever the RSA think they know about driving, they certainly haven't a clue about website design as maclek pointed out.

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Whatever the RSA think they know about driving, they certainly haven't a clue about website design as maclek pointed out.

Perhaps but they do give out free high viz vests to old people so we stop knocking them down.

I asked for one because I go cycling and walking and was told I didn't fit their age bracket.

So statistically I shouldn't get knocked down. Ahhh I see, Im invincible. Sweet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

I think a lot of people end up in the wrong lane approaching a roundabout because they dont know which exit they need to take, some better sign posting approaching a roundabout would help. Not saying this is an excuse but just a possible contributing factor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have you ever cut a roundabout when there is nobody on it?
    Yes
    Have you ever cut a corner / chicane when you can see the road in front of you?
    yes
    Have you ever driven above the speed limit knowing the Gardai are likely not to be on the road?
    I do it even when I know they are likely to be there
    Have you ever run a red light at 4am because..............most people do?
    nope
    Have you ever bent a rule when you can?
    Nope - I usually tend to break them outright if I'm going to do anything
    If you have thats fine, seriously it is, you're not going to stop anyway.

However, some people do this ALL the time.

That is what separates drivers from a*ssholes.
    So am I a driver or an a*sshole?

kbannon wrote: »

I'd say you had been drinking.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

what about THE CHILDREN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

If you're blond and drive a 04 G Mini and were on the roundabout at the quality/Maldron hotel in Oranmore this morning @8.10 or so you're probably bitching to your work colleagues about some b@stard in a ball of sh1t Vectra who cut you up at the r/about, you NEED to watch this add or Read the Rules of the Road b1tch:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

I don't know if the following is becoming more widespread because of the ad that's on TV but I've noticed an increase in the number of cars which approach a roundabout in the left lane and intending to go straight on/second exit but indicate right on the approach to the roundabout and then left as they pass the 1st exit (this part is correct). At the Donaghmede roundabout this morning, 3 (yes 3) cars in a row were all indicating right in the left lane on the approach to the roundabout, only to indicate left after the first exit. Very very confusing and rather dangerous too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

Can we now have a special video on how to drive on the Walkinstown Roundabout - probably need to be a bit longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

ZOLTAN28 wrote: »
    Can we now have a special video on how to drive on the Walkinstown Roundabout - probably need to be a bit longer.

LOL - it's survival of the fittest on that roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I wonder how long it took the RSA to explain to the producers of this video how to use a roundabout. I reckon the finished product is take 348.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

These adverts are long overdue, the RSA also need to produce more of the same which deal with roundabouts with different numbers of entrances/exits (most importantly three or five).

I have heard different interpretations of when to signal and change lanes when the roundabout is not the classic 'figure of eight' layout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

kbannon wrote: »
    Yes
    yes
    I do it even when I know they are likely to be there
    nope
    Nope - I usually tend to break them outright if I'm going to do anything

I'd say latter. I don't break the rules and I think anyone who does is an ass*hole simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

there is a roundabout near my house that joins 3 roads and for some bizarre reason everybody indicates to the right when leaving on the 2nd exit. It's like normal roundabout rules don't apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

SkidMark wrote: »
    RSA also need to produce more of the same which deal with roundabouts with different numbers of entrances/exits (most importantly three or five).

Why the hell didn't they do it in this video?

It's completely stupid that the ROTR and now this video continue to pretend that all roundabouts are four way crosses with just one left, right and straight exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Filmed in Mullingar I see, on the new part of the N52.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

dubmick wrote: »
    there is a roundabout near my house that joins 3 roads and for some bizarre reason everybody indicates to the right when leaving on the 2nd exit. It's like normal roundabout rules don't apply.

Well if the 2nd exit is to the right, then they're correct. That is the normal roundabout rule.

• Advertisement

churchview wrote: »
    Well if the 2nd exit is to the right, then they're correct. That is the normal roundabout rule.

:eek:

Have a look at the video, at about 20 seconds in.

:eek:

Have a look at the video, at about 20 seconds in.

When I'm home from work and have a PC with sound, I'll have a look. In the meantime check out

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

you don't need sound

anyway this is what I am talking about

j&r_roundabouts_straight-ahead.jpg

"Signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's nonsense though. they're going on the assumption that all roundabouts have 4 exits all at 90 degrees to one another.

It doesn't take into account roundabouts with more than 4 exits, or roundabouts where the 3rd exit is straight ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The ultimate Irish roundabout, the Ballymac roundabout north of Dundalk. 3 lanes, 5 exits and 15 drivers who have no idea where they're going.

It's an absolute hoot.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Dundalk,+Louth,+Ireland&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=33.214763,85.693359&ie=UTF8&ll=54.035423,-6.385444&spn=0.001503,0.00523&t=k&z=18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

Walkinstown Roundabout = WR = Wacky Races

... I LOVE that roundabout

you don't need sound

anyway this is what I am talking about

j&r_roundabouts_straight-ahead.jpg

"Signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want."

Are you joking?

Just watched and LISTENED to the ad.

"If you are going left, take the left lane. If you are going right take the right lane. If you are going straight, take the left lane unless......"

Nowhere is first, second, third or indeed thirty third mentioned.

The left, straight and right rules apply regardless of number of exits.

How could the rule be any clearer?

The problem is, the RSA use an example pictorially that confuses people with the result that people hear of and believe that the first, second and third stuff is a rule. Added to this, roundabout design and markings in Ireland are less than helpful.

Now if you don't believe me, LISTEN or READ the rule, without reference to the confusing pictures. Alternatively find a well qualified instructor, preferable to ROSPA Diploma standard to explain it.

And furthermore, your example shows how go straight on through a roundabout. By your logic, if there was more than one exit to the left in the example shown, then the RSA would be breaking its own (fictional) rules by suggesting that you leave by the left lane through an exit straight ahead.

calm down and stop shouting, I don't want an 'internet' argument. To clarify people are indicating to the right when going straight through the roundabout which also happens to be the 2nd exit. I never mentioned lanes.

Ha Ha. I was parked just off that roundabout on the Gravel area opposite the Eurospar/Londis(??) and was watching this whilst smoking a cigarette.

This auld one arrives up to the roundabout and I could smell trouble. SHE DOESN'T stop and just ploughs across the roundabout. What madman built a roundabout with 3 lanes on it. Its just insane!!!

She was also insane but I presumed thats the only way to get on the roundabout.

calm down and stop shouting, I don't want an 'internet' argument. To clarify people are indicating to the right when going straight through the roundabout which also happens to be the 2nd exit. I never mentioned lanes.

To be honest, I forgot that putting stuff in caps is considered shouting - sorry about that. What I was trying to do was emphasise that reading the rule, or listening to its wording, reveals the correct rule (in contrast to looking at the pictures which are confusing).

I see we're actually in agreement.:o

Time to take my BP tablets:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Churchview,
    What do us mortals do when there are 2 lanes on and off the first exit but the first exit is right of the twelve o'clock position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Here is such a roundabout in Kildare, and the correct routes as I see them highlighted.

naasroundabout.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

There's a roundabout in Derry with only one exit (other than the road you used to come onto the roundabout). It seems really pointless, its a roundabout in what would normally be a bend in the road :confused:. I don't know how to post a link to a location on google maps but if you come into Derry from the Strabane side of town and keep going past the train station, its just a little bit up the road there. If someone could explain the purpose of it, i'd really appreciate it because it mystifies me every time i drive through there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

There was an advert on the TV 15-20 years ago on how to use roundabouts... always thought they needed to bring it back! Guess they just made a new one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Filmed in Mullingar I see, on the new part of the N52.

the 'Distance' video was filmed in Kilkenny on the stretch of straightened road between Three Castles and Freshford.

• Advertisement
Advertisement