Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ag. Science??!

Options
  • 26-09-2009 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey guys, any chance anyone could gimme advice? me and my friend r picking up ag science as an 8th subject this yr (wer in 6th yr)..wer lukn 4 medicine nd pharmacy so we need high points! are we mad pickin it up with only a year 2 study?..oh ye and does any1 have notes they could email? we dunno wer 2 start!:confused:
    Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Hey, I'm picking up year but it's in the institute so bit of a different situation to yourself. It seems pretty handy enough from what I've done so far. From flicking through the exam papers I could answer alot just from Bioligy, some of the experiments are the same also. There's also a project which is a huge advantage I think. Any specific questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 leman789

gud 2 no! but ye the institute wud be a bit diff..wer teaching ourselves, nd maybe the odd help from a teacher in a diff part of the country haha..no real qs in particular was just wonderin if ppl that had already done it/was doin it taut it was easy r not! cuz iv heard its hard 2 get an A but it luks like an alrite course since wer doin Biology & Geog...bit confused bout the hole thing..institute notes r hardly accesible on the net r they? prob password protected nd all dat!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I could probably understand your question if it was written in English. I hope you don't go on to write prescriptions in txtspk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

oops :rolleyes:

good to know...but yes the institute would be a bit different than us... we are teaching ourselves and maybe the odd help from a teacher who lives in a different part of the country. no real questions in particular, was just wondering if people that had already done it/was doing it, thought it was easy or not! i've heard it's hard to get an A but it looks like an alright course since wer doing Biology & Geography...bit confused about the whole thing...institute notes, or any form of notes for that matter, are hardly accessible on the net are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It would be ALOT better for you to pick up physics or if your up for it chemistry rather than ag science.

If you don't know your chemistry whoever doing medicine will absolutely suffer in college with JC science (Half the stuff in the chemistry section is nearly a complete lie its just nothing like LC chemistry) and whoever doing pharmacy is really just kidding themself.

Its all well and good getting the points to get in but your not staying in if you aren't able to actually do your course.

That said im in 5th Year, doing Biology and Chemistry and Engineering.
    I'm hoping for pharmacy or medicine and I am thinking of doing geography and maybe business for points.

The thing is though, aiming for pharmacy with only JC level chemistry is suicidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

Its a handy subject if you have a strong interest in it - and if your doing biology and geography your more then sorted.

I picked it up in 6th year,,...having no teacher and relying on myself to learn it. There is a project to do and you do get asked questions about it (one of my teachers had to sign off the project to say she was teaching me it). I got a B in it!

Its not an easy subject - but as with anything if you are interested in it, it will make learning alot easier. best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

leman, have a look at this thread for general info.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

leman789 wrote: »
    oops :rolleyes:

good to know...but yes the institute would be a bit different than us... we are teaching ourselves and maybe the odd help from a teacher who lives in a different part of the country. no real questions in particular, was just wondering if people that had already done it/was doing it, thought it was easy or not! i've heard it's hard to get an A but it looks like an alright course since wer doing Biology & Geography...bit confused about the whole thing...institute notes, or any form of notes for that matter, are hardly accessible on the net are they?

it's not that simple. there's a 25% project which is graded by your teacher and they sign off on it so you must do the subject under the guidance of an ag teacher who is working in a school. It's not enough even to have a grinds teacher who is not attached to a school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 spy_cake

look up the ag. science syllabus. I think its only 6 pages or somthing. Theres not alot in the course but you'll have to do an oral and a written project. But its better that taking up physics or chemistry. oh and its pretty straight forward if you have a farming background:)

• Advertisement

thanks everybody! much appreciated :D gonna give it ago anyway! already have chemistry because id say it'd be impossible 2 get in2 med school without it! thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brenwald

As from last year the SEC will NOT accept a project for ag science unless
    1. the project has been completed by a student in a recognised 2nd level school
    2. the candidate carried out the project in a timetabled ag science class in that school
    3. the project has been signed off ny the school and the teacher
    Before this you could have registered as an "external candidate". This sutauation no longer exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brenwald

As from last year SEC will no longer ccept an ag science project from an "external candidate"
    A valid project must come form a candidate who is registered in a recognised 2nd level school, that has ag science timetabled on its recognised lc curriculum and has been verified by their teacher and signed off by the school authorities.
    This is now standard practice for all project work submitted for JC and LC exams

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

brenwald wrote: »
    As from last year SEC will no longer ccept an ag science project from an "external candidate"
    A valid project must come form a candidate who is registered in a recognised 2nd level school, that has ag science timetabled on its recognised lc curriculum and has been verified by their teacher and signed off by the school authorities.
    This is now standard practice for all project work submitted for JC and LC exams

Last year? that's when I did mine outside school, and there were no major difficulties. Sure enough you have to be wise to everything that must be taken into consideration, but apart from that I found it managable

Advertisement