Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nob nation or gift grub

• 26-09-2009 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

now folks which one is it. nob nation or gift grub . cant stand nob nation myself. he was on tubbers last night .turned of the tv im sure theres more than me that dont like nob nation. havent heard gift grub in a while. thought it realy good. especially the one with bertie and bosco.

which is the best nob nation or gift grub 81 votes

Nob Nation
    0% 0 votes
    Gift Grub
    13% 11 votes
    Hate them both
    75% 61 votes
    Love them both
    11% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Let me be the first to point out that you haven't offered an "I think they're both sh*te" option.

Despite that, I'm personally in favour of Gift Grub, although as with anything that runs so long, it does suffer occasionally from "not as funny as it used to be " syndrome.

Regarding Nob Nation, 'borrowing' the idea of an alliterative name was an indicator of the level of humour that would be involved. Oliver Callan is, at best, an adequate mimic, whereas Mario Rosenstock on GG has proven he can mimic, think on his feet and (most importantly) remember to be funny occasionally. Personally, I feel Callan fails on the last 2 points, but each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Good question, OP. I would be surprised if the consensus isn't overwhelmingly in favour of Gift Grub. Callan isn't bad at the voices -his Enda Kenny is very good, for example. But Rosenstock is an exceptional mimic, and his feeling for comedy is a lot more oblique and surprising.

Callan just does gags. Some of them miss, and some of them are a bit distasteful. There's a vein of (clankingly obvious) homophobia in his David Norris, for example, that makes me uneasy. You could argue that Norris sends himself up in a similar way, but he actually does it very rarely. In Nob Nation his appearance is always the cue for a buggery joke. It's radio blackface.

Rosenstock does gags too, but he also does situational stuff that is just funny. It's hard to explain why Roy Keane's laugh, or the way he pronounces "Bayer Leverkeusen" is so hilarious, but it really is. I don't know how Gift Grub evolved the idea of Daniel O'Donnell as a snarky TV reviewer who does impressions, but it works sublimely well. (Sometimes the main reason I watch Fair City is to keep up with Gift Grub's impressions of it.) It's got that element of the completely unexpected that great comedy should have.

So Nob Nation can be funny, but Gift Grub has a bit more natural talent and a lot more comic intelligence. Should we get a poll up? (Cue Norris....)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

how does one start a pole?never done one before. all i do is vote on others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

blond45 wrote: »
    how does one start a pole?never done one before. all i do is vote on others.

I think if you click on Thread Tools, up there on the right above the first post, you will be given the option to add a poll. I'd agree with Bondvillain too, that you should include an option for the bilaterally unimpressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Atlantic 252

I can't stand Callan either and I too turned off Late Late prior to his appearance. I don't find him funny and don't find his impressions good either. I have lost count of the amount of times someone has come up to me and asked had I heard the recent GG and how good it was. I have never heard anyone say how good nob nation was. Maybe that says that not too many of my friends listen to 2FM or they just don't get Nob Nation.
    I rembember Callan was a guest on the FAI awards night a few years ago and did a few impressions on stage. Awful stuff. In my view he just can't beat his old colleague, Super Mario!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

Ermmm...

that poll's a bit non-specific, aint it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

The question in the poll doesn't match the question asked in the subject line of this thread :D I'll send Keith Duffy 'round your house to explain it all.

sorry folks. i know i done it wrong. there is bad things happening to my family and i wanted to take time out to go through some post. wasnt thinking properly when doing poll. never done one before. it looks stupid.if a moderator wants to get rid of it please do. but still send around keith duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

callan is a better mimic but rosenstock is the better comedian and has far better material

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Poll edited and reset.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'll say Gift Grub because I'm at least entertained a few times by it. Nob Nation is best described by the show its on.............

Gerry Ryan < ****E!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭medoc

There is no comparison Gift Grub while not at its best anymore is still far ahead of Nob Nation. Some of Nob is painfully unfunny although he does a very excellent Enda Kenny. Is it Callan that does Bertie on the spar add?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Gift Grub though it can be hit and miss. Nob Nation is more obnoxious IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cuddles74

Gift Grub is far superior yr man on nob nation doesn't even sound like half the impressions he does

Poll edited and reset.
    thank you monkeyfudge;)

cuddles74 wrote: »
    Gift Grub is far superior yr man on nob nation doesn't even sound like half the impressions he does

ah , he does so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

cuddles74 wrote: »

Yeah, in fairness, if I were to take that to mean that his impressions are inaccurate, I'd have to disagree.

Oliver Callan is certainly an adequate mimic, in fact, in one or two cases, he's very accurate. However, as an 'entertainer' his problem isn't accuracy, its that his material is really p*ss-poor, and listening to him is about as funny as hitting yourself in the face with a Brendan O Carroll video while sitting hungover in a manure pit. In the rain. In Longford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Not even close. Mario, besides being a very good mimic, is also very clever and politically aware. Hard to keep up the quantity on his own, and a few of the sketches let him down, but overall very entertaining.

Oliver Callan is a good mimic but RUBBISH at writing. His humour is at a very primitive level, very lowest common denominator stuff. He breaks into parody song FAR too often, as if this is the easiest way for him to fill up the three minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dgenerationx

Gift Grub definately, love Mario i think he's much better than Callan.. Also Nob Nation is always a song, I wish they'd just do sketches more. Also Mario is always 'talking freely' to Ian Dempsey which you never know what he'll say next...
    Yah just did my first post! Hope this is right!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Neither, Bernard and Keiths mock adverts are funnier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Gift grub.
    Nob Nation is a poor imitation (sorry couldn't resist :p)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bébhinn91

Because Nob Nation is about as funny as a brick through your living room window:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Gift grub all the way.

Nob nation is the equivalent to Gollum and DimDim.

Can't stand 2fm!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭squonk

I always think Callan's Bertie impression is more an impression of Mario doing Bertie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

even though gift grub hasnt been its best lately its still the best by far. esp love when mario does robbie keane. soo funny. plus i like the banter he has with ian when he is in character. but JUST GIVE UP DANIEL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Gift all the way - I don't listen often enough to say if its getting worse, but on this evidence I don't think Mario's got anything to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

Toms Dunnes Bill Cullen is class!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Did ya see Oliver Callan on the Late Late show last week. Not for the first time, he nevers breaks out of character(s). I think that shows hes not very comfortable in his own skin and hides abit behind the voices. Hes a decent mimic but not in Mario's league. Also Mario is abit mad and his humour is always ironic and clever, whereas nob nation is sort of a Brendan Grace level of satire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Used to listen to gg, got a bit bored with it, got sick of listening to keane sketches and bertie ones. NN does a good cowen and kenny and lenihan. Sometimes gg is ok but does not have the "funny" factor anymore.Some of the characters are good and bad on both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Shane10 wrote: »
    even though gift grub hasnt been its best lately its still the best by far. esp love when mario does robbie keane. soo funny. plus i like the banter he has with ian when he is in character. but JUST GIVE UP DANIEL.
    Yesyesyesyesyesyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

The gg sketch of the film "the hangover" was excellent, really well thought out. Think thats what set it apart to nn, they think out things alot better than nn. The joan burton they do is so funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

The Emergency on Newstalk tbh.

But otherwise, yeah, Gift Grub is funnier than Nob Nation. Still not *that* funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

Though it jumped the shark a while back, Gift Grub is still far superior to Nob Nation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Nob nation is poor in comparison with a diminished Gift Grub. I would agree with other comments that Callan breaks into song to much. He is not a bad mimic but is let down by the writing which is far superior in the alternatives. Also IMO he resorts to crudity and vulgarity far too often. No need for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

gift grub all the way. and an addition mario was brilliant on the special one on setantalast season his mourinho, rooney and sven brilliant but the best has to be his rafa.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

Would the people that voted for nob nation please step forward and explain why you are so deprived of a sense of humour?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

jonas7 wrote: »
    Would the people that voted for nob nation please step forward and explain why you are so deprived of a sense of humour?:confused:
    I dont know how you work that one out :confused:.They both have good and bad points, for instance gg does Gay Byrne brilliantly but cowen and lenihan is rubbish. NN does cowen and lenihan much better. Agree tho that there is no need for the swearing in nn and he does tend to rely too much on liveline sketches. GG has the advantage of been live and been interactive with Ian tho. Dont know what the prob is with nn, its all entertainment at the end of the day, why not just enjoy both.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

jimmyw wrote: »
    I dont know how you work that one out :confused:.They both have good and bad points, for instance gg does Gay Byrne brilliantly but cowen and lenihan is rubbish. NN does cowen and lenihan much better. Agree tho that there is no need for the swearing in nn and he does tend to rely too much on liveline sketches. GG has the advantage of been live and been interactive with Ian tho. Dont know what the prob is with nn, its all entertainment at the end of the day, why not just enjoy both.
    While i do think Callinan is a good impressionist his jokes are shockingly bad.Most of the sketches he does could have been written by a 12 year old(apologies to any 12 year olds out there).His appearence on the lls was embarrassing,if he had of come out of character and been himself for a while it might have been less of a cringe fest.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Dr Sinnott

Can’t say either of them are very good. Gift grub is exceptionally lazy these times. The whole “Daniel talks about Fair City” is pathetic. Rosenstock has got away with a lot of stuff over the years. For example his two most famous characters Bertie and Roy sound nothing like the people they’re supposed to be taking off but they seemed to develop a life of their own. When was the last time he came up with a decent new character? His take off of Cowan and Lenihan is very poor. How many years did he get away with having Jaap Stam on talking nonsense?

I don’t hear knob nation that much but when I do I’m rarely impressed. He is a very good mimic for the best part but his sketches generally aren’t funny. And now he is on the Spar ads sounding nothing like the people he is supposed to be taking off. His take off of David Norris is embarrassing. Even though he sounds like him I don’t get his obsession about him being so crude all the time. Always a bad sign of a comic when they have to resort to this.

I always thought gift grub was at it’s best for the short period that Callen was on it too and you had characters like Plastic Sheeting on it keeping it fresh but that didn’t last long unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭aidan18

GG by a mile ben dunnes jokes on a monday are a highlight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TheMorningLine

GG. by a mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 snosae

The are both ****e IMO - Nob Nation is a collection of stolen gags and toilet humour and Gift Grub did more to make that crook Bertie sound like a lovelable man than Bertie did. I've seen Mario interviewed and he is alright about sports but lacks any depth in politics or anything more important than kicking a ball. The Emergency on newstalk was real satire and way way better than both of them and that was taken off - maybe thats why. If it was the same old ****e they would probably still be playing it

i thought callans jedward sketches were funny , perhaps im easily amused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

It should be on Colm and Jim's show and not G ryan's in my opinion. It should be put right in the mix against Gift Grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

Quite like the NN impressions of Michael flately and Daniel day lewis as plastic paddies though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 celliman

Callans Jedward spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

looking for 2 tickets to the GG show at the opera house. probably a wild goose chase but just in case anyone has 2 spare.. please ??

• Advertisement
Advertisement