Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Photoshop CS4 the same as Photoshop 7?

• 26-09-2009 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hi there. I just started learning how to work photoshop in college. In class we use photoshop 7. I have been trying to download the trial version but couldn't find it. Is photoshop cs4 the same as photoshop 7?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Hi there. I just started learning how to work photoshop in college. In class we use photoshop 7. I have been trying to download the trial version but couldn't find it. Is photoshop cs4 the same as photoshop 7?

No ! ..... all the stuff thats in 7 will be in CS4 ... but CS4 will have improved features, extra stuff and will perform tasks better.. I have CS2 and thinking of upgrading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Theres about 6 years of upgrades put into CS4,So i'd assume it would be much much better than photoshop 7,I've never used it but assume it's not brilliant!I'd also guess the UI is fairly different in both.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

CS4 is Photoshop 11. Core functionality is pretty much the same apart from some major UI overhaul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

in short - if you download the one month trial version of CS4 ... you'll be able to do all the stuff you will be doing in PS7.....but CS4 will be better at performing different tasks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have CS2 at home but have PS7 at work for quick stuff. Most of what I use in CS2 is there in PS7, but then I don't use much of the new stuff & mainly just use layers & masks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I have CS4. It has a lot of advanced new improved features.

....But to be honest if you're only using general stuff like layers, masks you should have no problem using cs4. There are a few handy improvements. You can open up documents in tabbed windows so its easier to work with multiple files. You can rotate the canvas (very handy if you use a tablet!). Theres a lot of improvements in the 3d part as well.

Now you just need to find everything again!!! Haha best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

That's grand, does it look the same or will the tools be moved around ect?

I have CS4. It has a lot of advanced new improved features.

....But to be honest if you're only using general stuff like layers, masks you should have no problem using cs4. There are a few handy improvements. You can open up documents in tabbed windows so its easier to work with multiple files. You can rotate the canvas (very handy if you use a tablet!). Theres a lot of improvements in the 3d part as well.

Now you just need to find everything again!!! Haha best of luck

Yeah Like I've only learned the basics so far, stuff like the patch tool and clone thing. I'm sure you did it when you started, you know the old image everyone uses to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

The pen tool is the handiest thing you'll ever learn.. that and layers!!

Here's some tutorials that you may find handy though
    Smashing Magazine Tutorials

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

Were you using Photoshop Elements 7? It might be a coincidence but that would have been the most up to date version of Elements up to this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Wait till CS5 comes out and buy that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

A few improvements, a different UI, and so much more bloated it's hard to believe. I actually stuck with CS3. I think it's better than CS4 (somewhat less bloated, the new UI in CS4 is a bit annoying and there isn't much of interest that CS4 has, I mean, no one actually uses liquid rescaling for example).

A_SN wrote: »
    A few improvements, a different UI, and so much more bloated it's hard to believe. I actually stuck with CS3. I think it's better than CS4 (somewhat less bloated, the new UI in CS4 is a bit annoying and there isn't much of interest that CS4 has, I mean, no one actually uses liquid rescaling for example).

Sorry that was complete double dutch to me...

Sorry that was complete double dutch to me...
    Double dutch? :pac:

Well, long story short, CS3 > CS4. CS4 is slow as a diabetic hog.

Thanks for all the help :)

Is Photoshop 7 rather old then?

Thanks for all the help :)

Is Photoshop 7 rather old then?
    Yep, it's from 2002. But it's not that bad, I mean, more recent versions aren't exactly vastly better.

Ah fair few years then. I'm trying to download the trial but it's not being co operative

One quick question :)

In photoshop 7 there was a tool, I think called a patch tool, where you could draw a rough circle and then then replace that part with another part of the photo. We used it to remove eye bag from a celebs photo. Does anyone know where this is in Photoshop CS4?

One quick question :)

In photoshop 7 there was a tool, I think called a patch tool, where you could draw a rough circle and then then replace that part with another part of the photo. We used it to remove eye bag from a celebs photo. Does anyone know where this is in Photoshop CS4?
    Yep. I don't think they've ever removed anything, so it should all be there.

It's been moved I think, just can't find it.

The healing brush tool seems to be in its place ?

• Advertisement

It's been moved I think, just can't find it.

The healing brush tool seems to be in its place ?
    It's under the healing brush tool. Click and hold down on the healing brush tool icon, and after a couple of seconds you'll have a list popping up and one of the is the patch tool.

Ah yes, managed to find it, just having trouble working it now. Seems to not want to replace the area, just move around

Oh I got it.. Was on the wrong layer....

*grins sheepishly*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I actually have both on my laptop,
    7 is basic but will perform all the tasks you need but CS4 is a new ball game. Its a lot faster and the tabs thing is handy too, one appeal of 7 is that it doesnt have the templetes in it that prevent you from scanning money in. I used to use CS2 a while back too and couldnt scan a note in to make this birthday invite idea i had. Photoshop 7 did it no probs.

Advertisement