Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cheapest place in Ireland for slide film development?

• 26-09-2009 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

I usually go to the fuji place off o connell st in dublin, but the price has gone up now to 14euro a roll, mounted.

I cant really justify spending 21euro for 36 presses off the shutter when I have an endless free supply of digital frames. If I could get it done cheaper I'd shot it more often

Is there anywhere in the country that does it cheap? why does it cost so much more than print film? in that fuji place its 6.50 for print film development, but twice the price for slide film

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

What you could try is have a word in the ear of one of the managers of one of the smaller fuji shops and look for a deal on "development prepaid" rolls. I did and got 50 rolls for a tenner, they were only to happy to have shut of it. It comes with a prepaid envelope but you don't need to send it away as thety will develop it on Abbey St. There's no point asking the big boys of the camera world but look for an overstocked small fuji counter stuck in the back corner on a big mall. Worked for me anyhoooow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

humberklog wrote: »
    What you could try is have a word in the ear of one of the managers of one of the smaller fuji shops and look for a deal on "development prepaid" rolls. I did and got 50 rolls for a tenner, they were only to happy to have shut of it. It comes with a prepaid envelope but you don't need to send it away as thety will develop it on Abbey St. There's no point asking the big boys of the camera world but look for an overstocked small fuji counter stuck in the back corner on a big mall. Worked for me anyhoooow.

I didnt think you could buy slide film in any of the small/average consumer places?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I didnt think you could buy slide film in any of the small/average consumer places?

Yep, according to the lady that gave me mine. Just a matteer of keeping your eye out. Surprising what you find on their shelves not shifting yet looking for a home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jjoconnor

have you tried repro 35? it's the only other place i know that develops slide but i think they charge something similar to photocare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Dr.Louis

jjoconnor wrote: »
    have you tried repro 35? it's the only other place i know that develops slide but i think they charge something similar to photocare

Repro35 have closed down... This might have something to do with photocare putting up their price- if there is no competition to keep prices low then they can charge whatever they like!

Spectra on Grafton st (where the Molly statue is) also do slide, but they send it to their lab in Kerry, so it takes a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i read somewhere recently that spectra were to get rid of their retail outlets

some have them have gone already, like the one in dundrum

Dr.Louis wrote: »
    Repro35 have closed down...

are you sure? i thought they were closed for some other reason and open again end of sept/ early oct

yea they gone

• Registered Users Posts: 34 image1960

The volume of slide processing has fallen. Simple fact is that Spectra and Repro 35 could not survive at the price they charged, so it is obvious that the price needs to be higher to offer the service. Photocare can only continue to provide Slide developing if it is viable. The price is determined by deviding the fixed costs involved, by the number of rolls, so the less rolls processed, the higher the cost per roll. Current prices are Dev - 8.50, Dev & mount 12.50.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This came up in conversation the other night. The person I was speaking to used to do a shoot a lot of transparencies. He would use Repo35. He used to use the Fuji place in Abbey Street but after many rolls that were either scratched, had finger marks or tram tracks he will not use them anymore. He now has to post them to the UK for processing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its really becoming better value to do this at home isnt it...

you can buy the kit to do it yourself for not a huge amount of money

one of the guys in our camera club bought the stuff and now does his own

other thing is i guess now repro has gone, i might get busier with prints!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

CabanSail wrote: »
    He used to use the Fuji place in Abbey Street but after many rolls that were either scratched, had finger marks or tram tracks he will not use them anymore. He now has to post them to the UK for processing.

I've never had a problem with them. In fact they're probably the only place I regularly got film developed where there WASN'T scratches or finger marks or anything untoward on the film.
    stcstc wrote: »
    you can buy the kit to do it yourself for not a huge amount of money
    one of the guys in our camera club bought the stuff and now does his own

Yeah I do all my own C-41 nowadays for about €1 -> €1.50 a roll or so. E6 is meant to be a little bit more demanding but I reckon I'll have to try it at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭ender ender

Daire: do you use one of those Jobo machines? I love colour film but the cost is restrictive, if I could do it that cheaply I'd seriously think of investing in a home kit. Can you process 120 with your system?

OP, I think there's a place on Lennox Street (off Camden Street) that does E6, but someone here may know better on whether they still offer this service or if they're more expensive.

Daire: do you use one of those Jobo machines? I love colour film but the cost is restrictive, if I could do it that cheaply I'd seriously think of investing in a home kit. Can you process 120 with your system?

No jobo processor or anything, I just use the same tanks I process B&W in, and a water bath to keep everything at roughly the right temperature. I don't sweat it too much.
    Chemicals wise I buy those 5l fuji hunt kits (i get them in gunns) and make them up 500ml at a time. I use this for a few weeks and anything between 2 and 6 films depending on what I'm shooting, and then make up a new batch. The last kit did me for over a year and about 35->40 films or so.

Just had a look at your Flickr page and the results are great, good work. I was under the impression that any minor temperature changes could cause colour shifts, but it's definitely worth a bash.

OP: I just had a look at Photolabs website (the place on Lennox Street, didn't realise they had a site), and they don't appear to do E6. I have some 4x5" trannies to get done, I dread to think what Photocare will charge if 35mm is that expensive!

OP: I just had a look at Photolabs website (the place on Lennox Street, didn't realise they had a site), and they don't appear to do E6. I have some 4x5" trannies to get done, I dread to think what Photocare will charge if 35mm is that expensive!

Thats for C-41 though, negative film. Never tried E6. It's meant to be a lot more unforgiving in terms of temperature and times than C-41. If you're going to scan and not project though I don't think It makes that much of a difference. The problem with E6 I think is that for projection it has to be spot on colour wise. PM image1960 here for prices, he/she works for photocare AFAIK

€5.00 per 5x4" Sheet at Photocare

CabanSail wrote: »
    This came up in conversation the other night. The person I was speaking to used to do a shoot a lot of transparencies. He would use Repo35. He used to use the Fuji place in Abbey Street but after many rolls that were either scratched, had finger marks or tram tracks he will not use them anymore. He now has to post them to the UK for processing.

I've never had a problem with Photocare, only thing that annoys me a little is almost every roll I send for scanning them is missing at least one frame - when it's so expensive to scan neg that's a bit annoying.

OP, I think there's a place on Lennox Street (off Camden Street) that does E6, but someone here may know better on whether they still offer this service or if they're more expensive.

Photolabs doesn't do slide which is a shame as i find they're the best service and the friendliest - also very fast

do gunns not do slide? i thought they did

• Advertisement

Daire, I'll definitely give it a go then, I hear it's easy enough to print too if you can get used to working in total darkness, and I have access to a colour enlarger.

And thanks image1960, I was expecting it too be much more than a fiver!

jjoconnor, Gunns don't do slide, haven't for a good few years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

E6 is meant to be a little bit more demanding but I reckon I'll have to try it at some point.

It is fairly demanding, but as long as you've got a willing assistant it's not too daunting a task to do a few rolls. I've been dev'ing E6 at home for a while now, aided by a fairly old jobo cpe. Takes all the hassle out of keeping water bath & chemicals at the right temps.

jjoconnor wrote: »
    I've never had a problem with Photocare, only thing that annoys me a little is almost every roll I send for scanning them is missing at least one frame - when it's so expensive to scan neg that's a bit annoying.

It is €3 at time of developing for full roll of negs to CD.
    Single negs are 1.25 as it is slow to do.
    If there are negs missing on a scan job, they will be re scanned at no charge. I cant think how it would happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

jjoconnor, Gunns don't do slide, haven't for a good few years...

I had a chat with them the weekend of the peoples photography about how much it cost to get slide done, they quoted a price for doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 5 milo1973

Advertisement