Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graphic Tablet

• 26-09-2009 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Been thinking of getting one of those Graphic Tablets!! Was considering one of the very small ones as I'm a bit limited for space - and money! :mad:

I was looking for a bit of feedback from people who own them!
    Say I get one if the tiny ones - are they hard to work with??
    In the sense; that, does the working area of the pad directly match the screen - so say the pad is 1/4 size of the screen, I move the pen 1mm on the pad, on the screen it moves 4mm, and therefore the smallest movement on the pad, makes a huge movement on the screen; resulting in difficult accuarcy for fine details - if ya know what I mean - confusing myself here :o
    Although - just thinking - if ya zoom up, it becomes easier! :confused:

Anyways - I can imagine they take a bit of getting used to, but I'm a fairly quick learner with things like that!

Feedback and advice please!
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

spotted a post recently that ALDI/LIDL were gonna be doing it this week I think.... only €50ish ...so should be decent enough for you to start and figure out if you like them or not.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Its a Wacom one also. That said you can get a slightly bigger one (a few mm) for the same money online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

PCPhoto wrote: »
    spotted a post recently that ALDI/LIDL were gonna be doing it this week I think.... only €50ish ...so should be decent enough for you to start and figure out if you like them or not.

Hee Hee - I know - was trying to keep it quiet :p so if I decided on getting one, they wouldnt be gone by the time I got to the shop; working nights tonight so will be in bed a lil longer tomorrow - might ask the better half to nip in early!!
    Thanks for telling everyone!! Grrrr!!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

This is the one in Aldi for €49.99.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_10573.htm

They have this one in Tesco for €35.

http://www.trust-site.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=15356

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I just ordered this one from amazon the other day, around 50 quid, but it is a bigger working area

• Advertisement

Cheers Ericl!!

Anyone got any feedback on using them - find them very useful? Speeds up your workflow??
    I assume you can use the mouse and pad at the same time?

Positives and Negatives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

5uspect wrote: »
    Its a Wacom one also. That said you can get a slightly bigger one (a few mm) for the same money online.

can you point me in the right direction please, as was thinking of heading to carlow tomorrow morning to get one from aldo

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I got one from aldi or lidl a few years ago and thought it was crap. And to top it off the thing broke after a month of light use. I got an A2 Wacom one a while ago and love using it. I'm happy with the size myself as I don't always want it laid flat so it's easier to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

FX Meister wrote: »
    I got one from aldi or lidl a few years ago and thought it was crap.

Agreed. I got one myself a few months back and they are indeed ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

First, Don't by trust, theyre really ****e

Second, the one in aldi is tiny, like just for signatures etc.

Lidl / Aldi do their own brand (medion) and its the one I have, absolutley brilliant piece of Kit, and A4 too

MedionMDP46000.JPG

Theres a couple on adverts, I was bidding on this one for a friend, but she fell short on cash

wacom_graphire_4_pen_tablet.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

rameire wrote: »
    can you point me in the right direction please, as was thinking of heading to carlow tomorrow morning to get one from aldo

It was on Komplett.ie. Shop around tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have the Lidl one & it's fine to get used to using a Tablet. You really need to put away the mouse to get used to using it though.

Was looking a Guy Gowan at Photovision using the new Wacom Tablet & it's a much better piece of kit. One of these days I will upgrade.

The one's you get from Lidl & Aldi are a good introduction but when you see a proper Wacom one the difference is obvious. From what I hear the Wacom Bamboo size one's are just too small to be good for Graphics.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

What do you think of this one from pixmania.
    It's a Genius G-Pen 450 - it has better sensitivity than the Wacom Bamboo and seems a fairly reasonable price.

Thats the same size as the Aldi one, and after delivery etc, its the same price.

You reall should be looking at somehting at least A5

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

Tallon wrote: »
    First, Don't by trust, theyre really ****e

Second, the one in aldi is tiny, like just for signatures etc.

Lidl / Aldi do their own brand (medion) and its the one I have, absolutley brilliant piece of Kit, and A4 too

Have to agree with Tallon. Have the Medion one myself and love it. Any corrections (cloning, masking, etc.) you need to do are so much easier... The only hickup for me is a bigger screen I got few months ago...still can't get used to the difference; then it really is 1mm move of the pen equals to 4mm on the screen, even with the A4 size tablet... :(

I just got a Trust tablet in the post this morning. Hopefully it's not as crappy as y'all say it is. It got OK reviews on Amazon. I'll give it a go tonight and see if it's any use

I'll give it a go tonight and see if it's any use

Keep us posted.

Keep us posted.

Sure, but as I don't have much to compare it to, I'm not sure how objective I can be :D

+1 and then report back after a few uses also

• Advertisement

I just found my old trust tablet. Had to re-wire it but its working ok now.
    ill have a mess around this evening and see if theres actually much of a difference

yeah, it's crap! It's gone back in the box to be returned and refunded...installed fine and the mouse was working OK, but when I used the pen, the cursor was stuck to either side of the screen. I guess it's treu what they say about peanuts and monkeys :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i went through a couple of those cheap tablets. and then finally bought a wacom intuous 3 a5 wide, man there is a world of difference on a daily use basis

I bought this one on adverts.ie - interesting to see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

I've been using a medium(a5) intuos 4 for a couple of months now and it's pretty much faultless. I use it on a 30inch display without any problems.

I bought this one on adverts.ie - interesting to see how it goes.

Thats the one I linked to... well worth it. let me know how you get on

I know - that's where I saw it! Picking it up today so might get to play with it tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Wacom Bamboo Fun, think it cost about 90E but not sure now. I use it if I'm doing a lot of illustration and brushwork. For adding adjustment layers, no great difference.

Have it plugged in now but boy does it take some getting used to! I'll tackle a few pics later and give it a real test.

• Advertisement

Calina wrote: »
    Wacom Bamboo Fun, think it cost about 90E but not sure now. I use it if I'm doing a lot of illustration and brushwork. For adding adjustment layers, no great difference.

Agree with you there. Great for brush work but the mouse is better for everything else.

Was in ALDI this evening and they have the small Wacom Bamboo for €49.99

Advertisement