Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubli,My Dublin! Not any more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

axer wrote: »
    What makes you think that? There are services available for the homeless to help them get off the street. Those that still remain homeless are those with mental illnesses such as depression. Our social welfare system has means available to keep people off the street. We don't live in the likes of the USA.
    But if thats the case then why is there people on the streets? Because they like it?!

Granted Drink and Drugs are a major cause but they're not all alcoholic's and drug addicts. I'd generally have a lot of time for homeless people...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    But if thats the case then why is there people on the streets? Because they like it?!

Granted Drink and Drugs are a major cause but they're not all alcoholic's and drug addicts. I'd generally have a lot of time for homeless people...
    I already answered that. If it is not drink or drugs, it is mental illness such as depression. From the point of view of failure. It is that our mental illness systems that has failed these people but there are many out there that are very hard to help unless they are locked up against their will which is not the best solution either.

EDIT: I have time for homeless people too but I refuse to EVER give them money when they are begging. It is only encouraging them to stay on the street instead of looking for help. Many have to hit rock bottom before they change (if they manage to change before hitting true rock bottom). If you want to give money then give it to St. Vincent de Paul or organisations like that. I have done fundraising for homeless organisations but I won't give money to a begger on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

I recall once walking through central bank late at night and I saw a woman sitting limply with a cup in the usual begging spot just below that concrete bridge that runs overhead as you approach crown alley. Anyway, I had just about enough money to get a bus, but managed to drop a 5c coin into her cup ( its better than nothing I suppose) ; a couple of seconds later when I was walking on, I turned around to see that 5c coin rolling behind me and the woman saying " you dropped your money". :confused: She obviously wasn't pleased at the gesture and decided to reject my money. I'm always a bit weary of giving people money like that anymore.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

as girl i think dublin is a very safe city, i would have absolutely no problem walking anywhere in the city at night.

i have lived/visited in quite a number of cities around the world and trust me our city is fantastic.

try going out in Kingston and porto au prince now thats scary. you do not stop at red traffic lights after sundown in these places.

op, you yourself off and do some world travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

irishbird wrote: »
    as girl i think dublin is a very safe city, i would have absolutely no problem walking anywhere in the city at night.

i have lived/visited in quite a number of cities around the world and trust me our city is fantastic.

try going out in Kingston and porto au prince now thats scary. you do not stop at red traffic lights after sundown in these places.

op, you yourself off and do some world travelling

You can't compare Kingston and Port au Prince with Dublin. What is the GDP per capita in Jamaica and Haiti compared with Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

You can't compare Kingston and Port au Prince with Dublin

You can compare it with Milan, Rome Washington! Dublin is a safe city.

According to Mercer it's around 18th in the world.

1) Luxembourg

2) Bern, Geneva, Helsinki, Singapore, Zurich (tie)

7) Katsuyama, Kobe, Nagoya, Omuta, Osaka, Tokyo, Tsukuba, Yokkaichi, Yokohama (tie)

16) Vienna

17) Stockholm

18) Copenhagen, Dublin, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Munich, Nuremberg, Oslo (tie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Dublin is pretty safe from my experience, but it does have some pretty bad areas. I signed a 1 year lease back in April for a place in East Wall but Ive broken the lease and am getting out never to return! I lived in Marino though too and that was grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

lightening wrote: »
    You can compare it with Milan, Rome Washington! Dublin is a safe city.

According to Mercer it's around 18th in the world.

1) Luxembourg

2) Bern, Geneva, Helsinki, Singapore, Zurich (tie)

7) Katsuyama, Kobe, Nagoya, Omuta, Osaka, Tokyo, Tsukuba, Yokkaichi, Yokohama (tie)

16) Vienna

17) Stockholm

18) Copenhagen, Dublin, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Munich, Nuremberg, Oslo (tie)

what year was that from because i have seen other surveys that have dublin as one of the highest crime rates in europe.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/dublin-murder-rate-is-one-of-europes-highest-1589449.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is it me
    Yes - it's you!
    Homeless x 3 on the Halpenny bridge
    2 more in crown alley
    Sure we can just bring in a ban on poverty and that will sort out the beggars and homeless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Not as safe as it used to be and it will get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

adamshred wrote: »
    I recall once walking through central bank late at night and I saw a woman sitting limply with a cup in the usual begging spot just below that concrete bridge that runs overhead as you approach crown alley. Anyway, I had just about enough money to get a bus, but managed to drop a 5c coin into her cup ( its better than nothing I suppose) ; a couple of seconds later when I was walking on, I turned around to see that 5c coin rolling behind me and the woman saying " you dropped your money". :confused: She obviously wasn't pleased at the gesture and decided to reject my money. I'm always a bit weary of giving people money like that anymore.
    Suppose so but as Tom Petty sang

'' even the losers have a little bit of pride ''

utick wrote: »
    i have seen other surveys that have dublin as one of the highest crime rates in europe.

I don't think that is the case, the murder rate is what is referred to in the Herald there, not the crime rate. That is bumped up by the ongoing Drimnagh feud, but it's pretty unlikely that you will get murdered if you go out tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

OP, is it possible you are comparing a city in which you have an adult's awareness of the streets to one in which you were a child, and didn't notice these things?

I have to say that the unpleasantness of your thinking (calling everyone scum, not distinguishing between homeless people and drug dealers, etc) would make me more nervous of you than of any of the people you complain about. You sound, at the very least, in need of a holiday.

I holiday quite a few times a year and whenever I travel to a new place the first thing I do notice within the Cities is the way they are kept clean and patrolled by VISIBLE police.Yes the Dealers are SKUM as for Beggers it should be made illegal again.I hung around the city most of my youth and never once was I attack or hassled for monies.Temple bar was flowing with addicts/dealers and undesirables .I love Dublin as it is a great City but I do think it is going backwards.Thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I hung around the city most of my youth and never once was I attack or hassled for monies
    I was never asked for money either when I was young but it's probably because I didn't have any. I'm sure it was probably the same with you.

You're older now and probably look a bit more affluent. ;)

(Unlike today, in the 1980s there were parts of Dublin that I would have been recluctant to drive through, never mind walk through! :eek:).

In the 80s there were no go areas for the Gardai in the city centre. That is not the case now.

Here is the 2008 list compiled by Mercer.

* Map It! 1. Luxembourg (Luxembourg)
    * Map It! 2. Bern (Switzerland)
    * Map It! 2. Geneva (Switzerland)
    * Map It! 2. Helsinki (Finland)
    * Map It! 2. Zurich (Switzerland)
    * Map It! 6. Vienna (Austria)
    * Map It! 7. Oslo (Norway)
    * Map It! 7. Stockholm (Sweden)
    * Map It! 9. Singapore (Singapore)
    * Map It! 10. Auckland (New Zealand)
    * Map It! 10. Wellington (New Zealand)
    * Map It! 12. Copenhagen (Denmark)
    * Map It! 12. Dusseldorf (Germany)
    * Map It! 12. Frankfurt (Germany)
    * Map It! 12. Munich (Germany)
    * Map It! 12. Nurnberg (Germany)
    * Map It! 17. Dublin (Ireland)
    * Map It! 18. Katsuyama (Japan)
    * Map It! 18. Omuta (Japan)
    * Map It! 18. Tsukuba (Japan)
    * 18. Yokkaichi (Japan)
    * 22. Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    * 22. Calgary (Canada)
    * 22. Montreal (Canada)
    * 22. Ottawa (Canada)

* 22. Toronto (Canada)
    * 22. Vancouver (Canada)
    * 28. Brussels (Belgium)
    * 29. Melbourne (Australia)
    * 29. Perth (Australia)
    * 29. Sydney (Australia)
    * 32. Papeete (French Polynesia)
    * 33. Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)
    * 34. Ljubljana (Slovenia)
    * 35. Kobe (Japan)
    * 35. Nagoya (Japan)
    * 35. Osaka (Japan)
    * 35. Tokyo (Japan)
    * 35. Yokohama (Japan)
    * 40. Berlin (Germany)
    * 41. Hamburg (Germany)
    * 41. Leipzig (Germany)
    * 43. Glasgow (United Kingdom)
    * 43. Hong Kong (China)
    * 45. Lisbon (Portugal)
    * 45. Prague (Czech Republic)
    * 47. Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    * 48. Bratislava (Slovakia)
    * 49. Adelaide (Australia)
    * 49. Brisbane (Australia)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Dublin is grand, same as any other western city. That list is interesting, can't believe Perth isn't near the top though, that place couldn't be safer if it was covered in padding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

DeVore wrote: »
    We are the freakin' hobbits and we live in the Shire. Go walk around Bangkok and see people die in front of you. Go walk in Washington if you want to feel scared. Try Marseilles for "undesireables". Seriously, *hobbits*.

DeV.

Dublin;s the safest city I've been in.

Thing is though, been to Rio, Buenos Aires, dodgy, dodgy places like that, and while Dublin's nothing compared to them, the major difference is that in Dublin you're far more likely to have something happen to you in a safe area than in a lot of places.

There's a lot of people around píssed out of their minds at night who want to give and take a few digs or whatever. That's rarer in most places. In Rio someone will happily kill you if you don't give them your wallet, but they won't do it for no reason by and large.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

utick wrote: »
    what year was that from because i have seen other surveys that have dublin as one of the highest crime rates in europe.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/dublin-murder-rate-is-one-of-europes-highest-1589449.html

I found this one too which focuses more on overall crime

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10008972.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

, but it's pretty unlikely that you will get murdered if you go out tonight.

well i agree with you on this point but the same could be said of any city in the developed world

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Is it me or has anyone else noticed how Dublin is becoming a Dump.

Firstly , Stopped at lights(Tara st) someone decides to clean my windscreen:mad:

Parked the car (irishlifecarpark) Do I want the issue:mad:
    Drug dealingl SKUM at the OConnell monument
    The filth & dirt on the streets(rubbish)
    Homeless x 3 on the Halpenny bridge
    2 more in crown alley
    Temple bar sq, Numerous amounts of the above
    HEY, No Cops

Taking your points one by one....

Common enough except that cars were pretty rare, so instead the 'scum' walked into Tara St station and insisted on carrying your bag(s)

A paperseller on practically every corner.

No drugs, but lots of what were known as 'winos'.

Moore St on a saturday night -- the smell incredible!

Homeless everywhere. If you left your halldoor open they'd bed down in your hallway and even on the stairs.

Temple Bar... a depressing street as were the streets around it.

Cops? Some would walk by, or maybe give you a punch if you looked crooked at them.

So there.. would you change your Dublin of 2001 to the Dublin I was born to in the 1940s?

Could (some of) the modern youth be getting soft? ;)

Or perhaps expect to live in Utopia?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If it was up to me, I'd select a small island anduse it as a dumping ground and dump all the scum there, let them **** their own island up. Rename it scum island.

We had that, it's called Australia.

We had that, it's called Australia.

HAAHAAA!!! Now people go there in their droves, come back and shiyte on about how amazing it is, how better it is, go on about all the cool stuff they did, then they never go back, get a job here and grumble their lives away and never do any of the activities they did over in Australia over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

HAAHAAA!!! Now people go there in their droves, come back and shiyte on about how amazing it is, how better it is, go on about all the cool stuff they did, then they never go back, get a job here and grumble their lives away and never do any of the activities they did over in Australia over here.

That's me! But I've done the same with Canada, Spain, India, Italy, England and the US.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i think people just go on about how amazing ozzy because they have a year long holiday and do all kinds of stuff. I had a decent job there but i seem to have more money here and i'm more comfortable. I do miss the weather though. The people who blab on about it all the time probably just don't have very interesting lives back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dublinman12

:mad:Dublin being a safe city?....put things in perspective.....?.....thats the problem of our country.....we bury our head in the sand and compare against other countries..."ah sure its not as bad as America, ah sure its worse in Nairobi"....the fact of the matter is that we have junkies roaming the streets on a daily basis from the methodone centre....the boardwalk we have as lovely as it is ...is covered with Junkies doing deals and wheeling buggies....Luas stops either have Junkies killing each other or intimidating women and tourists into giving them their spare change "for a hostel"......Sure my mother was grabbed by a nakker a while ago...."ah sure put things in perspective, we're grand".....

And this is just in the daytime....i work in the city and 2 girls on seperate occasions have been attacked my dirtbirds....Its the same people doing the burglaries (its a case of until it actually happens to you, you extract your head out of the sand and take note)....

Ive lived in China and Italy....Rome and Shanghai...very safe cities....not a junkie in sight in the centre of the city anyway....our city is crawling with them ...fact..

Its the same case with Anto with 48 previous convictions getting let out early...2 mths of a 9 mth sentence.....its only a matter of time before some of them kill someone out of their face....

What im saying is that regardless of other countries or how it was in the 80's...our government and us have to get off our backside and deal with this...how many guards are minding cars in the Dail carpark?....we should be deploying our guards to clean up the city centre....its in bits....

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

neil_hosey wrote: »
    they need to outlaw begging in all tourist spots..

in and around temple bar theres loads of romanian and irish beggars staggering around asking everyone outside every ****in pub for change, you can see the disgust in tourist faces...

Temple Bar is supposed to be a nice area, need to get rid of the low lifes and protect the tourism industry from these scum..

I take it that none of these tourists are from Rome, Barcelona, Paris, London, etc. because it is as common or more common there than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dublinman12

Was that a wind up???...
    I was in Both Madrid and Barcelona in the summer....heavily policed city centres...unfortunately i didnt see one beggar....if you take a trip through temple bar...a 5 minute stroll through and you will be in double digits between Junkies beggars and junkies pretending to be beggars....

Ive experienced Junkies and Roma's approaching me for money on a consistent basis...The junkies are visibly out of their faces.....we're going to lose tourists....ITS THAT BAD....Take a stroll down the boardwalk on the liffey at about 11am on any weekday...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Was that a wind up???...
    I was in Both Madrid and Barcelona in the summer....heavily policed city centres...unfortunately i didnt see one beggar....if you take a trip through temple bar...a 5 minute stroll through and you will be in double digits between Junkies beggars and junkies pretending to be beggars....

Ive experienced Junkies and Roma's approaching me for money on a consistent basis...The junkies are visibly out of their faces.....we're going to lose tourists....ITS THAT BAD....Take a stroll down the boardwalk on the liffey at about 11am on any weekday...

LOL trying walking around the streets of ~Paris - dublin is a walk in the park

Was that a wind up???...
    I was in Both Madrid and Barcelona in the summer

There is a massive problem in Barcelona with druggies and beggars robbing tourists. Much worse than Dublin. Violent robberies too. Just cause you didn't see them on your week or weekend away doesn't meant they are not there.

I'm not saying Dublin's situation is good, it's not acceptable. But using Barcelona, which is commonly known as a tourist crime hotspot is not a good example.

Google Barcelona tourist crime.
    Google Dublin tourist crime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I lived in Dublin 7, 9, 4 (Ringsend) and briefly 6 - I really can't recall a time when I felt intimidated there. And I would work lates a lot and walk home. I've even seen people here refer to Phibsborough and Ringsend as rough, which is hilarious.

Advertisement