Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubli,My Dublin! Not any more

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

adamshred wrote: »
    I recall once walking through central bank late at night and I saw a woman sitting limply with a cup in the usual begging spot just below that concrete bridge that runs overhead as you approach crown alley. Anyway, I had just about enough money to get a bus, but managed to drop a 5c coin into her cup ( its better than nothing I suppose) ; a couple of seconds later when I was walking on, I turned around to see that 5c coin rolling behind me and the woman saying " you dropped your money". :confused: She obviously wasn't pleased at the gesture and decided to reject my money. I'm always a bit weary of giving people money like that anymore.

5c? why did u even bother? I'd be pissed off too

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dublinman12

There are pickpockets in Barcelona city centre im sure....i didnt see any beggars ....i was there for the week...what im saying is that Dublin is a kip at the moment....The amount of tourists in Barcelona must be twice what it is here....theres a massive industry over there for pickpocketing hence the heavy police presence......in Dublin it hits you right in the face...we have a small enough shower of dirty scrotes begging,dealing,wheeling buggies,intimidating people and killing each other on a daily basis...with effectively no Garda presence....On Dame street the other day i saw a scumbag beg for a euro for "the bus"....when the lad said no...he threw a cup of hot coffee in his face...this is in the centre of the city....not a guard in sight...Begging is also an industry...people have their plots for the day...beside the luas,beside the banklink etc....id say about 20% of the people begging are actually homeless...the rest go back to their flat with the days takings and bang up....and we have the cabinet arguing (defending their interests) against the new drink driving legislation while this is being ignored cos its not on their agenda...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Use paragraphs, or stop posting.

It hurts my eyes

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

There are pickpockets in Barcelona city centre im sure....i didnt see any beggars ....i was there for the week...what im saying is that Dublin is a kip at the moment....The amount of tourists in Barcelona must be twice what it is here....theres a massive industry over there for pickpocketing hence the heavy police presence......in Dublin it hits you right in the face...we have a small enough shower of dirty scrotes begging,dealing,wheeling buggies,intimidating people and killing each other on a daily basis...with effectively no Garda presence....On Dame street the other day i saw a scumbag beg for a euro for "the bus"....when the lad said no...he threw a cup of hot coffee in his face...this is in the centre of the city....not a guard in sight...Begging is also an industry...people have their plots for the day...beside the luas,beside the banklink etc....id say about 20% of the people begging are actually homeless...the rest go back to their flat with the days takings and bang up....and we have the cabinet arguing (defending their interests) against the new drink driving legislation while this is being ignored cos its not on their agenda...

any chance of a few paragraphs?

or did the dirty scrotes nick them as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Anecdotes and assumptions to be honest Dublinman 12. I have said the drug problem in unacceptable, something needs to be done about it. I have in the past involved myself in volunteer work for inner city youth programs. Maybe if you care that much you might do the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dublinman12

Stop posting?

I didnt know you were the administrator, otherwise i would have agreed with everything you said...sorry about that..

God forbid anything actually happens you in this city, you probably live with mammy and daddy.

Thats 3 seperate paragraphs all nice and neat for you.

Maybe try and not bold all your words Des the font isnt my favourite either. Maybe you can choose another?

My apologies again.
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm not an Admin, but I am a moderator on this forum.

Thanks for the paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Aussie Sean

Dudess wrote: »
    I lived in Dublin 7, 9, 4 (Ringsend) and briefly 6 - I really can't recall a time when I felt intimidated there. And I would work lates a lot and walk home. I've even seen people here refer to Phibsborough and Ringsend as rough, which is hilarious.

Any chance you lived elsewhere? These are the winning Lotto numbers!! I can feel it in me water!!!

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Dude, you said Des sounds like the type who lives with Mummy and Daddy and sees no wrong.............you sound like you can't walk through Dublin without ****ting yourself, if anyone here sounds sheltered from the real Dublin it's you.

I've done charity work in the Sherriff street / Summerhill areas and I walk Marlborough street twice daily (quite a "scummy" street). Sounds to me like you're describing an entirely different type of Dublin, I have no bother walking through any part of Dublin at night and have never had trouble doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

RMD wrote: »
    I have no bother walking through any part of Dublin at night and have never had trouble doing so.

To be fair, I don't mind walking through the City, but there are some places I do avoid, and if I can't avoid them, then I do have bother!!!

I wont name any particular areas but you know what I mean.

I find walking through town late on a Sat night/early Sunday morning, can be rotten, I only notice it when im sober though, when I'm out, I probably just bounce off the people that make me nervous! Nothing has ever happened me in the City luckily enough. I think it's quite naieve for anyone to say that they'd walk anywhere in Dublin at night no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    To be fair, I don't mind walking through the City, but there are some places I do avoid, and if I can't avoid them, then I do have bother!!!

I wont name any particular areas but you know what I mean.

I find walking through town late on a Sat night/early Sunday morning, can be rotten, I only notice it when im sober though, when I'm out, I probably just bounce off the people that make me nervous! Nothing has ever happened me in the City luckily enough. I think it's quite naieve for anyone to say that they'd walk anywhere in Dublin at night no bother.

Suppose, the people I've done charity work with are the type of people usually found intimidating, once you get that every person in a tracksuit isn't out to bash your head in and take your wallet, it makes walking through Dublin a lot easier, I've had no trouble so far, and until I do I'll walk most places in Dublin without a bother. When I meant walk anywhere, I mean any suburb / place etc, I'm not stupid enough to walk down a dark lane backing off Talbot street though or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

I have never seen so many junkies, homeless and beggars in a European city than Dublin. O'Connell street is a disgrace.

I have never seen so many junkies, homeless and beggars in a European city than Dublin. O'Connell street is a disgrace.
    You clearly haven't been in many European cities then, Amsterdam is unreal, they follow you looking for money and if you give em some they look for more. One fella threatened to stab my friends because they wouldn't give him anything.

I was in Lisbon this Summer and they're everywhere there too. It seems that if you have a disability there, you automaticly get to beg.

Dublin can be rough at times, but come on, its nowhere near as bad for begars as a lot of places

I think it's quite naieve for anyone to say that they'd walk anywhere in Dublin at night no bother.

i would walk anywhere in the city centre at night and i am far from naive

irishbird wrote: »
    i would walk anywhere in the city centre at night and i am far from naive
    Sorry shouldn't of said Naieve...Foolish IMO would be better

Sorry shouldn't of said Naieve...Foolish IMO would be better

i am also far from foolish. i have been living in dublin for about 9 years now, and the only i felt scared or threatened was in the o2 last sunday night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

You clearly haven't been in many European cities then, Amsterdam is unreal, they follow you looking for money and if you give em some they look for more. One fella threatened to stab my friends because they wouldn't give him anything.

I was in Lisbon this Summer and they're everywhere there too. It seems that if you have a disability there, you automaticly get to beg.

Dublin can be rough at times, but come on, its nowhere near as bad for begars as a lot of places

I have been in Amsterdam five or six times, apart from the red light district its fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

RMD wrote: »
    I'm not stupid enough to walk down a dark lane backing off Talbot street though or the likes.

I do that kind of thing, I wont avoid any area in Dublin. Only ever trouble I had was from racist scum on the top deck back seat last bus to Bray a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

Dublin ain't that bad.

True, we do have a lot of scummers, junkies, annoying beggars and the like, but compared to some of the places I've been it's not that bad.

The scariest place I've ever been is... Nottingham! Yes, that Nottingham. I had to stay there for a month as part of a railway course. The begging there was relentless and incredibly intimidating.

I was in a gang of 20, all male and most of us big lads who shifted railway track all day. We had one guy who was as high as a kite pull a knife on us - that's one person trying to mug a gang of twenty. You don't get that in Dublin.

I do think the powers that be should nip things in the bud before it gets worse, but we have to accept that Dublin is a big capital city and it will always have the problems associated with big capital cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I have been living here for 14 months and I really like it. There is a great buzz about the place, the city is beautiful and I have really not had any issues with drug users (well, once when I was a bit narky cause a fella asked me for money and he called me a stingy bastard, but that was my fault, tbh).

You people like complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I don't mind the homeless, the junkeys, the beggers, the Roma's or the scumbags. But one thing I CAN'T STAND are the BÁSTARDS that try and clean my car windscreen with that dirty skanky water:mad::mad:

You people like complaining.
    We're world champions mate!:D

Advertisement