Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Science/Psychology/Counselling

• 26-09-2009 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Are there any researchers involved in social science topics? A lot of people seem to be researching natural science subjects. I am hoping to compare different CBT approaches to psychiatric disorders. This seems daunting regarding ethics and logistics. Has anyone done anything like this? I could do with some advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

How are you going to do it? RCT?

That would be a huge undertaking. If you're going to look at effectiveness, this won't be social science research. It will be psychiatry/psychology.

You could take a social science approach, and do some qualitative research, asking about perceptions etc.

What question do you want to answer? Has it been asked before in the literature?

Have you got funding? Sounds pricey!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kitkat.3b4t

Hi Tallagh
    Thanks for your response. Your right it is psychology rather than social science. I suppose it will be hard finding a question that hasn't already been asked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Maybe try posting this in Psychology rather than Research? I only saw this today 'cause I clicked on the wrong thing.

My research is psychology-based, but uses only questionnaires on healthy adults; no intervention. Even for me, there are definitely a lot of ethical guidelines to comply with - departmental, university, ethics committee, PSI, BPS, WMA, IUPsyS, EFPA, etc., and the data protection legislation - but there's very little in them that a well designed study wouldn't be including anyway. There also tends to be a lot of repetition among them, so it's not too horrendous to write up.

Best of luck!

Advertisement