Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Download Speed Drop

• 26-09-2009 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi Guys,

I have recently moved to a new apartment and UPC has just come today for broadband and digital TV installation. Unfortunately the download speed has significantly decreased although I am subscribed to 20 Mbps Ultra plan.

Today I have tried the www.speedtest.net 3 times, and here are the results:

1. Download: 1.80 Mbps / Upload: 1.42 Mbps
    2. Download: 1.70 Mbps / Upload: 0.69 Mbps
    3. Download: 2.72 Mbps / Upload: 1.44 Mbps

Are they anyone else experiencing the same with UPC?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

trdublin wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have recently moved to a new apartment and UPC has just come today for broadband and digital TV installation. Unfortunately the download speed has significantly decreased although I am subscribed to 20 Mbps Ultra plan.

Today I have tried the www.speedtest.net 3 times, and here are the results:

1. Download: 1.80 Mbps / Upload: 1.42 Mbps
    2. Download: 1.70 Mbps / Upload: 0.69 Mbps
    3. Download: 2.72 Mbps / Upload: 1.44 Mbps

Are they anyone else experiencing the same with UPC?

Where is your apartment? these are some lame ass results :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 trdublin

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Where is your apartment? these are some lame ass results :eek:
    Hi Mehmeh I am living in D4, I think I am gonna email UPC with the screen shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

What speeds are you getting if you actually download a file from a fast host such as rapidshare?

Jev/N wrote: »
    What speeds are you getting if you actually download a file from a fast host such as rapidshare?
    In average I am getting 300 KB/s and the max speed 366 KB/s :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

In D4 myself and have noticed the same speed drops over the past month or so.

• Advertisement

KJF wrote: »
    In D4 myself and have noticed the same speed drops over the past month or so.
    Have you ever contacted UPC for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

trdublin wrote: »
    In average I am getting 300 KB/s and the max speed 366 KB/s :(

Not much better than the speedtests, contact UPC tomorrow I'd say

Jev/N wrote: »
    Not much better than the speedtests, contact UPC tomorrow I'd say
    I have just phoned them, and they recommended me to wait 2-3 days more :(

Did anyone contact UPC for this issue?

I contacted them yesterday evening. They ran a modem test and found the modem power was not as high as it should have been. They are sending a technician out to me on Friday to take a closer look.

Will post an update on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I contacted them yesterday evening. They ran a modem test and found the modem power was not as high as it should have been. They are sending a technician out to me on Friday to take a closer look.

Will post an update on Friday.

Let's see how that goes, been at them for 3 months about my speed.
    They have one more shot at fixing it or I am out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

UPC are having major issues in Dublin 8 for the past few days. There is "noise" on the line.

There are sending an engineer on Monday morning but I think its a more general issue.

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Called yesterday, after no call back. Was told that they would most assuredly call me at 5:30, when I got home to the modem.
    Did they call back?

I will let you decide that one

Well, their engineer and just been out to check the modem and apparently it's an issue with the area and not the modem. Asked when he expects it to be fixed and he said it should be over the next few days. Not holding my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 shift4311

I have similar speeds at various times in Dublin 14. I have been onto UPC many times and there latest report to me is that there is a problem in the area. I can get 19.40 meg and one hour later 1.86 meg. This appears to be a contension issue in my mind. Check speeds as early in the morning as possible and compare to readings at peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

Hi KJF,
    Are you in D8 by any chance?
    Well, their engineer and just been out to check the modem and apparently it's an issue with the area and not the modem. Asked when he expects it to be fixed and he said it should be over the next few days. Not holding my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

My speed is constantly up and down with them - This morning I was getting my full 10mbps.. Now I'm barely getting 1.

582925006.png

Today I have even experienced service shut downs. Slow speed with sometime no connection, brilliant

jleavy wrote: »
    Hi KJF,
    Are you in D8 by any chance?

I'm in Dublin 4.

Was up early on Sunday and did a quick speedtest. Got 18Mbps. By 1pm it was back to 3-5Mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

I'm in Dublin 4.

Was up early on Sunday and did a quick speedtest. Got 18Mbps. By 1pm it was back to 3-5Mbps.

So your being throttled? whats your contention ratio?

• Advertisement

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    So your being throttled? whats your contention ratio?

Not too sure. How can I tell?

Seems that UPC cannot find the source of the problem. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

been having the same issues lately in the evening times with UPC in Swords area. on the 20mb line yet very bad download speeds unless the app makes several connections at once to download the specific file.

This is a good thread to determine what areas are having eratic download speeds.The more input the better.
    cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 coopzero

I've posted in some other thread before, but I can't find it right now. I've been having speed issues for the past two weeks or so (Dublin 2).
    I've been on the phone a few times with them and after refusing to go through the silly unplug-your-modem routine they got a 2nd level support guy to call me back. It wasn't easy and took a few tries, of course (because UPC has the worst customer service ever).

The 2nd level guy said the problem was because there are "too many big downloaders in the area", and they're supposedly working on re-segmenting their network so they don't affect "regular customers". At the same time he said he'll send someone to swap my modem just in case, because their tech support policy is to try all sorts of random stuff till they get lucky.

Very unhappy with UPC.

Has anyone who has this problem been told by UPC that it is a contension issue, ie there network cannot cope with the demand, or does anyone know what UPC state as a contension ratio for 20 meg users?

Hey guys,

Just a quick update on the download speed: Today I have experienced a slight improvement, now I can see 12-13 Mbps download speeds. It seems that UPC is working on upgrades or re-segmenting the heavy downloaders.

P.S: This is for Dublin 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 coopzero

A couple of hours ago they seemed to have a DNS problem. The girl on the phone went to check with someone else, but came back and repeated again that I'll have to wait till the "technician" brings me a new modem.
    Ten minutes later it was back to the (usual) slow-but-working state.

The people they have on the phone are completely disconnected from whatever happens in the network. I guess the DNS talk was too confusing for them.

Again, back when I got the callback from what they call their "2nd level", they said the problems were because "certain people were downloading too much", whatever that means.

So the problem is lack of transparency of the network related issues. If there is anyone working at UPC, here is an idea: Please build a dashboard showing the issues and speed status per area. Do you need an example: http://www.google.com/appsstatus#hl=en

• Advertisement

Just recorded a new low. 1.3 meg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Matamoros

For about two months, we have been having problems with our UPC broadband in D15. Skype calls dropping, Youtube videos stopping and download interruptions etc.. We tried everything to see if the problem was at our end but are now sure that the problem lies with UPC, they tried to get us to phone their premium support line when we asked about the problem but why should I pay for something that is fairly certain to be their problem?

One question, is contention likely to be the problem in my case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I rang them about the speed problems there about two weeks ago, The support agent said it was contention and it would be a few weeks at least before it was fixed. I've downgraded my package from the 20Mb as there was no hope of getting it anymore, I'm in Dub15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Im on 10mb in Galway City and the contention is a joke, from 4pm-12pm it is max 3mb :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Out here in Booterstown, speeds have been hit too. On the 10meg package but getting between 1.5 and 2.5 meg speeds around times of high contention. As I type it seems to be normal.

Thats just great. Got this months bill,was going to ring them to complain, checked my speed and got 17.3 meg. Can they up your speed to match the receipt of their bill?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 evil.monkey84

I live in Dublin 16 and my package is 10MB, about month ago i start to notice speed issue, now when i download 100mb file my max download speed i get 300kb/s were i used to get 1.2mb/s

Use speedtest.net to check your speed. Refering to a file download is not a good indication as other factors may effect your download.

speedtest is giving me 4.5MB Down/0.3UP, and what i meant by the 100MB file is downloading 100MB RS file.

My mate live in Kildare and he is getting 10MB Down/1MB Up and getting 1.4MB/s when he download the same 100MB RS file.

I understand.UPC have admitted to me that there are too many users around me and that they will dig up the road in week 44 to solve the issue.I will believe it when I see it. If and when its fixed I can claim money back for the long running crap service. Thats going to be real fun!

claim money back from UPC? Good look mate! icon10.gif

Well Week 44 is tomorrow! fingers crossed!icon4.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

In swords area and cant say I've noticed anything.

Its a godsend from my eircom nightmare.

I'm nearly 5 months now happy as larry on upc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

having speed issues in D16.

past 4 weeks or so, has dropped from my 18-20mb to about 1-3mb

its driving me crazy! i rang them the other day, 17 minutes on hold, with a 30 second conversation to say...'ah those speed tests aren't accurate'

..'ill get a supervisor to ring you back in 2 minutes...'

its been 2 days with no phone call.

Can i not get some sort of refund considering im not getting the speed im paying for??

Ring them and have patience.Ask them to explain the drop in speed. If they give you bull, ask them is it the same problem as in D14 where they have admitted to me that there are too many users. They said they will fix this problem around this time and maybe over the next week. Make sure they log your complaint and inquire about getting money back when your speed improves permenently.If they give you a time frame to fix your fault, ring them when it expires if your problem is still there. They will add this call to your previous call record as a case file as such. This file will be usefull in claiming moneys back as they will have your complaints on record. I have always found the people in Technical support to be polite and helpfull so try not to shout at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dhidra

We are with UPC about 6 months now (3MB) and for the first few months it was fine. Recently though, we have big problems at peak times. 8 out of 10 times that I try to use the internet in the evening time it just doesn't work. Not slow...just doesn't work.
    Am currently on hold to tech support...

I'm in Navan BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I've just ran a few tests on my 10mb line in D15, I'm getting around 1.2 to 1.4. Not sure how long this has been going on for as I never usually use it in the evenings.

My 10 Mb connection has been getting worse for the last two months or so. Just now I got 1.53 down / 888 up. That's 1.53 megabits. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Dublin - 8

My connection not looking good for last 15 days or so :(

Its a 10mb connection.

I had an engineer in my house today to install UPC+ and said to me the reason the connection started to act up because of backhaul link capicity due to large amount of the customers are joining UPC! also he think the unlimited download going to stop soon as most of these customer are abusing the network!

I had an engineer in my house today to install UPC+ and said to me the reason the connection started to act up because of backhaul link capicity due to large amount of the customers are joining UPC! also he think the unlimited download going to stop soon as most of these customer are abusing the network!

Oh I'd well believe it. They'd be the type to say "I should be able to download what I want, when I want" while I'm here getting just over one tenth of the connection speed I'm paying for. Permanet in Kerry have exactly the same problem as they also provide an unlimited service. Caps are there for a very good reason in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Galway city, 10 Meg connection

Very poor at the moment, 1-2 meg on speed tests, cant get a download higher then 200 k/bs on various websites im trying

It was pretty good the last few months but service seems to be going downhill again

• Advertisement
Advertisement