Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What margin are electrical outlets working off?

Options
  • 26-09-2009 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

Ok, apologies this obviously isn't a bargain alert.

However I think it's relevant to many discussions on here, especially trying to work out what exactly is a bargain and what is selling off old stock.

I'd assume the margin varies greatly depending on brand and type of merchandise (tvs are probably better for instance).

This post was prompted by another post saying that Flor Griffins in Cork are taking 32% off all electrical EXCEPT lapops (which makes me consider that laptop margins a skinny, for instance)

Any views?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hi, useful post but I think it is more relevant to Consumer Issues. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭antoswords

In my experience :

TV's : 22% - 29% depending on model

Laptops : 12% - 17% again depending on model

Consumables, i.e. Cables, tapes, blank discs etc anything from 35% - 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Laptop margins have been taking a bit of a hit. The multiples have pulled the prices way down and the margins seem to be smaller than that now.

For consumables, the margins could be a lot higher than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I believe the margin is very small on laptops which is why places like Dixons/Currys push the extended warranties on them. It's here they make their profit. In fact I believe it's quite hard to buy a laptop in these chains anymore without also buying the extended warranty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭DOS

A TV for €999 incl VAT will have usually cost around €675 excl VAT to the store.

A Laptop for €999 incl VAT will have usually cost around €725 excl VAT to the store.

Consumables for €29 incl VAT will have usually cost around €16 excl VAT to the store.

• Advertisement
Advertisement