Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC Windows & Doors

Options
  • 26-09-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭

Back in 2004 I spent 13k getting all new windows and exterior doors from a well known Irish company.
    Since Day1 we have had issues with the front door.
    In hot weather the door seems to expand and becomes very difficult to open and close, often unable to be locked. On one occasion this summer I had to hose the door down before it would even shut. There is a draft around the door every night leaving the hallway freezing in winter.
    I have made innumerable calls to the company and they have sent repair men out at least 10 times. The door has been replaced 3 times and the same problems persist. Right now there is still a breeze around the door. Also all of the windows at the front of the house have a slight draft and are noisy as they are not even remotely airtight. (One of the windows has a gap where the seal is that you can see out of)

Im at my wits end with these people. Originally they were unwilling to come out at all until I paid €100 callout fee. I sent a registered letter to the MD and Owner and finally got them to come out for nothing.

I really need to know what I can do at this stage. The front door issues are holding up other refurbishments in the house as I dont want to get flooring in the hall if the door has to be replaced again. Im fairly confident that I would win a Small Claims Court case but thats only going to get me €2000 max. Also, does that mean I need to give them the door back? Can I claim for each window in a separate case? Or do I need to get a lawyer involved and sue for the whole €13k? In that case what happens to the windows? Do I get replacements and then advise the original company that the windows are here to be collected?

Thanks for reading this far and appreciate any advice!
    If you are thinking of buying windows PM and I will tell you who I think you should avoid!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Bump?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

GreeBo, given the value of the fittings (i.e. > €2,000) you should be looking at engaging a solicitor.

I just wonder if you have left it too long (since 2004) in order to persue a case, but then again, I would expect PVC doors and frames to last for 10+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

It's clear from what you have written that the door and windows are not fit for purpose under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980.

Write another letter to the MD and explain the problems that you are having (again). Include some photographs to illustrate your point. Quote the above act and ask for repairs as soon as possible, or you will go the legal route. Again, send it registered post. Make it very clear and politely demanding.

If you don't get a satisfactory response, it would be time to contact your solicitor. A letter from him/her may give the company in question the kick up the backside they need to sort out the issues. Taking something like this to court is a lengthy and costly process but if you are willing, it sounds like you have a very good chance of winning. A judge will look to see if you have given the company reasonable attempts to repair so keep copys of the registered letters you have sent.

dudara wrote: »
    GreeBo, given the value of the fittings (i.e. > €2,000) you should be looking at engaging a solicitor.

I just wonder if you have left it too long (since 2004) in order to persue a case, but then again, I would expect PVC doors and frames to last for 10+ years.

Thx for the replies.
    Yeah its been a long time but the problems have been ongoing since then.
    Every winter they tighten the door to stop the draft and then every summer they have to come out and loosen it as it cant be opened. Same story for the last 5 years with 3 different installations. Also the doors come with a 10 year warranty.

@Elessar: At this stage Im not even sure I want them to repair them...they seem incapable of doing so. I just dont know where I stand with getting a refund. We dont really have any issues with the windows to the rear of the house, but I would guess that if we start looking for a refund it would be for the whole sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

If you paid for all items in one go then yes you would be looking at a refund for everything. Will they then come and take the windows from you? It's hard to say. That might cost them too much since they couldn't resell them. It sounds like you are in a good position to get a refund via the legal route if you go down that road. It can be long and costly, especially if the company try to slow proceedings at every turn (I have personal experience on this matter!), but you are well within your rights to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 richardohora

Greebo did you get your problem sorted did you have to go legal
    I have had similar issue last 4 years had the company out during the winter when the leaks and the drafts would start and they have tried to fix
    called them to day as they where out 2 weeks ago and have made the problem worse,he went of on one saying he was doing no more work for the builder that did the job for as he left him short

Still ongoing I'm afraid

Advertisement