Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you eat fish?

Options
  • 26-09-2009 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

Yet again today I had to have that conversation with a dumbfounded work colleague
    "so you go fishing and you don't eat fish?!"

So yes, I cant stand fish. Don't mind cleaning and gutting them but the smell of them cooking is enough to put me off my own dinner. Doesn't matter what type of fish.

And I am open minded enough with food - love all meat, used to do a bit of shooting so had all sorts of game on the table and when I'm away I try something different. Kangaroo was the last exotic meal while in Oz last year. Lovely. But fish... :eek::eek:

Oh and in case somebody asks because of this I return 95% of what i catch only keeping fish when people have asked for beforehand.

So fellow anglers of boards...do you eat fish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Seatrout is one of the tastiest foods in the world.

so many others, crabmeat, cod, sole, smoked mackeral, lobster with a little lemon juice, wild irish salmon, and my favorite, gently fried trout with steamed vegtables, maybe a little almondine sauce, deep fried parsnips, and a good bottle of whatever wine you like, red or white.

icecream or sorbet, then finish the bottle, no arguments with the partner and a good nights sleep.

so, yes, i do like fish, but tomorrow, lough ouler, i won't be taking any of those little ones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I do eat fish, but only very occasionally. I only like very fresh fish, as in fish I've been there when it was caught. Thinking about it, I think I've only had fish 4 times this year. I had a fish (salmon + haddock) pie from tesco last week, I really didn't enjoy it. A couple of months before that I had battered smoked cod, and the only thing that stopped me spitting it out and throwing the plate on the floor was that it was at a work thing. The two things before that were: a grilled sea-bass with mussels and clams in a resteraunt, the sea-bass itself was actually quite nice, the mussels and clams weren't great but didn't manage to spoil it. The other was a freshly caught (by me) brown trout from lough mask which was absolutely delicious I loved every last bit of it. That's the only fish I've taken this year though, and actually come to think of it, that might have been last year. It's funny, though I'm sure most of us will understand, I love eating a freshly caught fish, but I rarely seem to keep one, when I catch one I always ant to throw it back so it can grow bigger and have lots of babies and I can chase it and them again :)

edit: I haven't counted shrimp or crab etc as 'fish' here, I don't eat them often but I do always love them. Also I haven't counted sushi, I had it last week for the first time in a few years and I love it, I really have to start eating it way more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I love to eat most types fish and seafood. Very rarely kill what I catch as I only fish for trout. River browns I never kill as I think they are under quiet a bit of pressure already. I would maybe take a few from a rarely fished highland loch. Killed 3 or 4 3/4 lbrs on one day this year and fried them on the barbie. Outstanding:)
    Might kill one or two rainbows a year only if they are 2 badly damaged to return. They normally taste pretty crap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I will eat most types of fish. However I'm not into going fishing for "free food", most of what I catch goes back.
    Much of the fish I eat would be in a restaurant, and the rest would be an occasional trout, salmon, seatrout, bass, or codling from then ones I have caught.

I'd never take a rod caught fish from a water where numbers are limited, and have returned all east coast river salmon in the last ten years before deciding that even catch and release was becoming "iffy" due to stocks being down approx 90%.

Also, since I learned more about how the ecosystems work, I do not take a trout from high altitude low ph (acid) water loughs where the land and water are so barren, that most of the biomass is actually contained in the fishes bodies themselves. Some of these waters are so acid and calcium so scarce for insect and plant growth the water pretty much requires the fish populations bodies recycled for nutrients when they eventually die.

I'm perfectly happy with eating rainbows. Normally I will keep one at a put and take so long as it's permitted. The triploid rainbows are excellent eating, and the normal rainbows come into condition after end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

I like to eat trout or salmon, especially sea trout. The hunt for a nice fish for the table can be an added attraction of fishing for me. I do think however you can have too much of a good thing so I avoid taking more than I really want. Sustainability is important to me in deciding if I would take a fish. I fish for salmon much less now and am not keen on catch and release for salmon at all or even sea trout when the water is warm and low in oxygen.

I seldom make a gift of fish as few people really appreciate the value of wild fish. Most would probably discard fish if they were not cleaned out and would prefer if they were filleted and maybe battered as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

I love anice wild brown trout absolutely delicous simply fried in butter.
    Ive eaten most freshwater fish in ireland pike is lovely white flesh same texture as a lump of cod
    perch is sweet too pinky though wouldnt bother trying to eat a small
    one
    eel is very nice too
    have not killed afish for the pan from freshwater in two years need to get fishing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Seatrout is one of the tastiest foods in the world.

+1 and salmon, mmmmmm salmon!

Dont eat these mush though. Not mad about any other fish, ive never eaten a fish i caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

i eat the salmon i catch, (to be honest thats not a huge amount!) but not this time of year, i return them because they are too laden with milt or roe, no matter how fresh they are. i never eat farm salmon that stuff will kill you, tesco's farm salmon pie! yuck i would rather eat puke than farm salmon crap. as a big fan of the wild brown trrout i always return brown trout to the water alive and unharmed, it is the only way.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Have to say I love fish - all fish. I don't care if it's a smoked cod from the chipper or a fresh caught springer, I just love fish. I eat anything I kill which so far is a grand total of three brown trout this year - three competitions! If I caught 10 macks in a session I'd eat all 10. Probably why I don't do any coarse fishing - I don't like catching them if I can't eat them - which is a bit of a contradiction when it come to trout.
    I put 99% of my trout back but I still like the idea that I could keep one if I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Have to say I love fish - all fish. I don't care if it's a smoked cod from the chipper or a fresh caught springer, I just love fish. I eat anything I kill which so far is a grand total of three brown trout this year - three competitions! If I caught 10 macks in a session I'd eat all 10. Probably why I don't do any coarse fishing - I don't like catching them if I can't eat them - which is a bit of a contradiction when it come to trout.
    I put 99% of my trout back but I still like the idea that I could keep one if I wanted.

if you let 99% back and killed 3 this year then you must have caught 300 trout this year - thats some fishing - well done for returning the 297 :D;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement