Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communal Fish tank advise

Options
  • 27-09-2009 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I have a tropical tank where we have recently added 3 Clown Loachs and a pleco .
    Since we added them 2 of the neon tetras have vanished . When we got the Clown Loachs I was told that they are a peaceful fish and should mix well in the community.

Anyone have experience of mixing these fish with each other.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

anyone please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Hi !
    Clown loaches and plecos are very good examples of community fish. However, you never know ... you might have a 'special' one in your lot.
    I'd say the tetras died (it happens) and the pleco dined on them.
    Hope this helps.
    ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Barr wrote: »
    Hi All

I have a tropical tank where we have recently added 3 Clown Loachs and a pleco .
    Since we added them 2 of the neon tetras have vanished . When we got the Clown Loachs I was told that they are a peaceful fish and should mix well in the community.

Anyone have experience of mixing these fish with each other.

How big is your tank and how long is it setup?? Reason being adding 4 fish at one time in a small or recently set up tank can send the toxins through the roof resulting in the tetras dying and the pleco and loachs doing what they do best and cleaning up!!!!:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hmmmm- let me guess, they told you that Plecos are vegetarian?
    I was gobsmacked to see my old Pleco chase and hunt down tetras- and when we then added guppies, mollies and platties- they became the new plat du jour..... It was bizarre watching him actively hunt and chase them into a corner- he actively hunted- something I've not seen in any books......

When I say 'old Pleco'- I didn't do what I felt like doing- I rehomed the freak...... I've another Pleco now, which is a lot better behaved.

Ps- when I rehomed my Pleco- he was almost 2 foot long- and is now resident in a 2000ltr litre installation down in Ringsend.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Hi !
    Clown loaches and plecos are very good examples of community fish. However, you never know ... you might have a 'special' one in your lot.
    I'd say the tetras died (it happens) and the pleco dined on them.
    Hope this helps.
    ValerieR

Hi Valerie

What do you mean by a special one ?
    How big is your tank and how long is it setup?? Reason being adding 4 fish at one time in a small or recently set up tank can send the toxins through the roof resulting in the tetras dying and the pleco and loachs doing what they do best and cleaning up!!!!

My tank is 50 litres , its up and running about 2 months if that makes a difference. I had an angel , 2 glass catfish , and 6 tetras before I introduced the clowns and the pleco.
    Hmmmm- let me guess, they told you that Plecos are vegetarian?
    I was gobsmacked to see my old Pleco chase and hunt down tetras- and when we then added guppies, mollies and platties- they became the new plat du jour..... It was bizarre watching him actively hunt and chase them into a corner- he actively hunted- something I've not seen in any books......

When I say 'old Pleco'- I didn't do what I felt like doing- I rehomed the freak...... I've another Pleco now, which is a lot better behaved.

Ps- when I rehomed my Pleco- he was almost 2 foot long- and is now resident in a 2000ltr litre installation down in Ringsend.......

My Pleco is only a couple of inches long , I dont think his the culprit :) Do they get much larger actually or does it depend on the size of the tank ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Our Pleco- who my mother-in-law named 'Uggie'- started out at around 2.5-3" and while he initially ate the algae from the glass very shortly thereafter started showing an undue interest in his tank mates. He very quickly decided algae just didn't cut it for him- went crazy for any food for the other fish- didn't matter what kind- floating- weekend blocks, flakes- literally anything at all. The amount of Pleco poo in the water from his binges cannot be easily described- he defacated in an extraordinary manner. At some stage- we made a decision to buy a bigger tank for our menagerie- and went to a 200ltr Jewel tank (we got it second hand on adverts.ie here- lots cheaper than retail, but pricey nonetheless). Uggie immediately commenced his scheme of establishing himself as top of the food chain- and decimated his tank mates. The introduction of a veritable forest of elodea and the strategic placement of a number of grow lights at the rear of the tank- saved many from the incredible predator. Eventually he grew to just under 24" in length- he had difficulty in turning in the tank- and we decided he had to be rehomed (to be perfectly honest- I had other ideas, but my wife was insistent that be reasonable to him). A former staff member of the Boardwalk Petshop on the quays built a massive installation down in Ringsend- and already had a 20" female pleco- so our 2 foot male made a good companion for it.

In short- in theory growth is determined by tank size- however its not a direct correlation- and if you imagine Plecos aren't intelligent scheming fish- you're wrong.......

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Barr wrote: »
    Hi Valerie
    What do you mean by a special one ?

:) A bit like the one described by smccarrick in the post above... A carnivorous savage ! ;)
    Seriously, a pleco grows to huge size as described also by smccarrick and indeed are seriously dirty too.

Hope this helps.
    Valerie

Advertisement