Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost to install radiator

Options
  • 27-09-2009 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, please relocate as necessary.
    Am getting some work done and as an afterthought (I know, bad planning :-)) I want to put 2 rads in.
    Basically its an attic conversion and what Im looking at now is plumbing from the hot press (located upstairs on the second story) up to the attic. Then runing piping to a rad in one room in the attic and also to another.
    Looking for ballpark as to what to expect to pay. The attic isnt floored or cladded yet.
    Rads will be 1m long. So supply and fit cost?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Just out of curiosity why 1m? Most atttic rads in my experience have been 300 high by 1800 long. 1 meter is fine if the btu's work out but i suspect without even seeing the room this will be too small..... Anyway back to your question :)

Most plumber charge about 150 to fit rads fitting 2 they will charge about 250 -300 Euro

The cost of the rad will be about 150 including standard valves x 2 = 300

So all in around 600 Euro.

I am not to sure where your based if you PM me I can pass you on suppliers of rads or a plumbers name if close to you

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭waitingforBB

Thanks Joey. Had a guy call this morning and 600 was the quote so spot on.

Will check with the builder and him as to why the recommendation of 1m long rads. ,

Cheers

Thanks Joey. Had a guy call this morning and 600 was the quote so spot on.

Will check with the builder and him as to why the recommendation of 1m long rads. ,

Cheers

Check if they are double or single rads as well.

Double rads 1m long

Double rads 1m long

Very short. I would get a plumber out to quote you on this. I take it your attic conversion spans the width of the house. Think about it. You would normall put a 1 meter rad in the sitting room alone.

• Advertisement

Very short. I would get a plumber out to quote you on this. I take it your attic conversion spans the width of the house. Think about it. You would normall put a 1 meter rad in the sitting room alone.

well, the attic conversion consists of 2 bedrooms (5m * 6m and 7m * 6m) so one of the 1m double rads going in each room. Got insulation done yesterday (aluthermo quattro), slabbing today and plastering tomorrow

well, the attic conversion consists of 2 bedrooms (5m * 6m and 7m * 6m) so one of the 1m double rads going in each room. Got insulation done yesterday (aluthermo quattro), slabbing today and plastering tomorrow

Big rooms. But not as big as i though. The 1000mm doubles should be fine. My apologies. I take it they are 500mm high.

You can actually calculate the BTU;s required yourself if interested.

Again apologies, but as you prob are thinking better safe

appreciate the responses Joey. Yea the rooms are an adequate size, one for an office and the other for storage / spare bed. Have the landing area as well with solid oak stairs leading up into it. didnt opt for rad in the landing area.
    Happy enough with the progress, seems it will be complete early next week.
    One other thing I overlooked though was the lights. in hindsight I should have got recessed lighting in. Not sure how it will be when I put in a light fitting (the ceiling height is 7ft so not a lot to play with)...anyway, if thats the biggest problem I view the project as a success :-)

appreciate the responses Joey. Yea the rooms are an adequate size, one for an office and the other for storage / spare bed. Have the landing area as well with solid oak stairs leading up into it. didnt opt for rad in the landing area.
    Happy enough with the progress, seems it will be complete early next week.
    One other thing I overlooked though was the lights. in hindsight I should have got recessed lighting in. Not sure how it will be when I put in a light fitting (the ceiling height is 7ft so not a lot to play with)...anyway, if thats the biggest problem I view the project as a success :-)

My sister made the same mistake as regards the lighting. Then got an electrician. He advised her not to put recessed lighting in as in her case it would have been smack on the insulation. What she did to stop hanging lights was got the electrician to run the lights down the wall and put in wall lights if you catch my drift. it looks quite well.

Another idea i saw but was not to keen on was floor lights.

With the new led lights coming in i imagine heat would not be a problem

Advertisement